Page 67 of 145 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    It seems there was a total about face from Glenn between 1992 and 1994.
    He talked about the possible 1990 resumption, and mentioned that all there was for him was the money there. Did the money become enough in 1994?
    Did something happen in his life to change his mind?
    He mentioned that him and Henley had to get together and write 3 new songs to go into a repackaged Greatest Hits collection. This didn't happen, only 1 song, on HFO.
    I would be very interested to see if there are any interviews or a progression of interviews where he is changing his mind.

Also, this has got things rattling around in my head, and I don't know if it's ever been discussed.
    Why are there no Glenn Frey interviews on the HFO DVD? Was Glenn waffling even then on getting back together?

Hi BB -Glenn was not in the HFO video because he was recovering from Diverticulitis surgery. The surgery was in I believe Sept. 1994, and the video was released in appx. November 1994.

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

I can only speculate but in my own experience, illness can and has had an impact on decisions I have made, including both personal and professional. I would imagine this is true of anyone coping with short and long term illness and/or disease. For me it was a "sit up and pay attention" kind of wake up call. Do we know when Glenn was diagnosed with RA? RA tends to come on suddenly and can be quite painful unless/until the inflammation gets under control which can take awhile depending upon the kind of medication and treatment and even then, adverse reactions and flare ups are always a concern.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    [/B]

Hi BB -Glenn was not in the HFO video because he was recovering from Diverticulitis surgery. The surgery was in I believe Sept. 1994, and the video was released in appx. November 1994.
    oh ok. thanks. I didn't know that. I know that he had some issues with diverticulitis....(have to say, I'm not totally sorry about the timing of one of his bouts either...they were playing Knoxville, and it was sold out. Due to Glenn's illness and 2 rescheduling some tickets were refunded, and I was able to go )

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I can only speculate but in my own experience, illness can and has had an impact on decisions I have made, including both personal and professional. I would imagine this is true of anyone coping with short and long term illness and/or disease. For me it was a "sit up and pay attention" kind of wake up call. Do we know when Glenn was diagnosed with RA? RA tends to come on suddenly and can be quite painful unless/until the inflammation gets under control which can take awhile depending upon the kind of medication and treatment and even then, adverse reactions and flare ups are always a concern.
    When Glenn passed, Irving said he had the RA for at least 15 years. I read some place he may have been diagnosed in the late 90's. But, I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    He was ill when the HFO dvd was being made, he had collapsed on stage one night
    I thought I read he collapsed in a hotel room...on stage, omg....poor Glenn.

I think I read somewhere that he was diagnosed with RA in 2000, but I don't know if that is when he was actually diagnosed or just when it was made public.

Border Desperado

[/B]

I wonder though, would those interviews have been done that close to the release of the video, or more closely aligned with the actual event, which was in April.
    It just seems like, even with surgery and recovery, they could have carved out 30 minutes for him to sit down and talk about it at some point. Even if it meant delaying the release. It was his band.

When Glenn passed, Irving said he had the RA for at least 15 years. I read some place he may have been diagnosed in the late 90's. But, I am not sure.
    15 years would be around 2000-2001 or late 90's as you suggest. All things considered, RA on top of other serious health concerns like the kind of digestive issues Glenn apparently struggled with IS a lot to deal with. Glenn was a warrior.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    15 years would be around 2000-2001 or late 90's as you suggest. All things considered, RA on top of other serious health concerns like the kind of digestive issues Glenn apparently struggled with IS a lot to deal with. Glenn was a warrior.
    And these guys weren't doing hour long shows....they were up there playing their hearts out for nearly 3 hours per night. Warrior indeed.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I loved those days too and trying to liaise with my Border friends through a 5 hr or more time difference. It was fun, exciting, adrenaline pumping.... I miss it now :crying:. Glenn made the difference.
    I know!

And BB I think part of what changed Glenn's mind between '92 - '94 was that he felt the personal relationships were in a much better place, particularly after the Travis Tritt Take It Easy video shoot and the committment from Joe to get sober. He and Don had managed to get together to write 'Get Over It' and they have both said how excited they were about that. I imagine at the time, they intended to do more and. in fact, eventually did write several more songs together. Glenn never said money wasn't a factor - it clearly was. But it wasn't the only factor for him. In '92, he said "except for the money" there wasn't much there for him.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I know!

And BB I think part of what changed Glenn's mind between '92 - '94 was that he felt the personal relationships were in a much better place, particularly after the Travis Tritt Take It Easy video shoot and the committment from Joe to get sober. He and Don had managed to get together to write 'Get Over It' and they have both said how excited they were about that. I imagine at the time, they intended to do more and. in fact, eventually did write several more songs together. Glenn never said money wasn't a factor - it clearly was. But it wasn't the only factor for him. In '92, he said "except for the money" there wasn't much there for him.
    I had forgot about the video. You are probably right. That may have been that initial catalyst. And in fact, I think I remember them saying that during that shoot they remembered the good times, and that they were friends first.
    So yeah...that probably took it beyond the payday for him at that point. Back to a "is the magic still there?" moment.
    I remember Felder talking in his book about how on tour they all pretty much stayed isolated. I think that, more than anything hurt the song writing.
    If there had been more time just hanging out together, and more time intentionally writing, they probably could have done more...but from everything I've seen, it appears they were all a bit on egg shells, knowing the whole thing could come crashing back down with one big blowup.