Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Default Re: Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    If this Country can't get gun control reform passed this will continue to happen. Semi-automatic weapons should be STRICTLY controlled. It's insanity. Prayers for those twenty young souls and for their parents.
    This continues to happen. Nothing is done because the NRA has Congress by the balls! Not even a ban on military assault weapons! Crazy people legally buy them every day! It's all about MONEY...They don't give a crap who dies. TRAGIC.
    Praying for those families who lost innocent babies 5 years old at school. When is America going to wake up & change??

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    This continues to happen. Nothing is done because the NRA has Congress by the balls! Not even a ban on military assault weapons! Crazy people legally buy them every day! It's all about MONEY...They don't give a crap who dies. TRAGIC.
    Praying for those families who lost innocent babies 5 years old at school. When is America going to wake up & change??

..so true...so sad..

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

OMG - this is another horrible massacre that, unfortunately, seems to be becoming all too familiar in this country. It is sickening to think of the loss of these innocent teachers and children and wounds that will take years for this community to heal from.

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    If this Country can't get gun control reform passed this will continue to happen. Semi-automatic weapons should be STRICTLY controlled. It's insanity. Prayers for those twenty young souls and for their parents.
    I totally agree, HH. Hopefully, we Americans have finally reached a point where we will demand action from our leaders. I believe that we also need to address the issues of violence and mental illness in our society if we hope to really to stop these senseless acts.

My heart is broken for the victims in this tragedy and the entire shattered community of Newtown.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

I think members of Congress should be required to view the crime scene photos from this horrific event as well as those from the movie theater massacre, Gabby Gifford's shooting, and any of the other recent horrific mass murders. It sounds gruesome and macabre but may have enough impact to finally have Members act.

It's harder to get your driver's license in the US than it is to get a gun. Insanity.

Stuck on the Border

But some of these gun fanatics think the solution is MORE guns, not fewer:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...gs-gun-control

But not all gun lobbyists have kept silent. Some have argued that America actually needs more guns to make people safe as mass shooters will be killed by armed citizens who can immediately act when a spree begins. Larry Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America, said that, if there had been armed teachers in the school in Newtown, the tragedy might have been reduced. "Gun control supporters have the blood of little children on their hands. Federal and state laws combined to ensure that no teacher, no administrator, no adult had a gun at the Newtown school where the children were murdered," Pratt said in a statement.
    He asked for gun laws to be loosened further. "This tragedy underscores the urgency of getting rid of gun bans in school zones. The only thing accomplished by gun-free zones is to ensure that mass murderers can slay more before they are finally confronted by someone with a gun," he added.
    Gun lobbyists also point out that the guns used in Newtown were not owned by the suspected killer and had been legally bought and owned by his mother.

I find that line I highlighted despicable. To me it beggars belief that you can prevent these massacres by arming even more people. It hasn't happened. When has a mass murderer been stopped by someone with a gun? And why should it even GET to that stage? And I am sorry, but if you want teachers in an ELEMENTARY SCHOOL to be armed, you should look at yourself very, very hard.

It is not for me to lecture Americans on gun control. However, it stuns me that the country has to go through this so often & nothing is ever done. Meanwhile it is a dreadful tragedy for the victims & their families.

I've watched substantial coverage over these past two days (when my kids haven't been around) and I got physically ill earlier today when they announced that none of the children were older than six and all of the victims had multiple gunshot wounds. This is all so tragic and senseless and as one reporter pointed out, the surviving children from that school have had their youth and innocence snatched from them.

But what really made my blood boil was when I went over to pick up my kids from their school yesterday afternoon and I overheard two young fathers talking about this. The first one said "As far as I'm concerned we should ALL carry a weapon" to which the other one replied, "He--, if I found myself in a situation like that I wouldn't hesitate for a heartbeat to open fire." I turned and looked at both of them and asked, "Is that really the kind of environment you want your children growing up in? And would you really want your children to live -- or possibly die -- because of such blind stupidity? These aren't whitetail deer or elk or buffalo on the other side of those doors, it's our CHILDREN." And what frightens me the most is that this is a largely rural community where the primary activity this time of year is hunting...so it could easily happen in one of our schools.

I'm a strong advocate for gun control but I'm smart enough to know that not everyone agrees and that even with the most stringent laws it's impossible to completely get it in check. The debate over gun control will continue. We can only hope that this heartbreaking tragedy will open more eyes to the need for changes.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

I watched a lot of the coverage yesterday & it was so tragic, but people who think that having armed teachers at school is the answer are just totally out of their minds. An attack like this comes on so fast & with the use of an assault weapon that it would be impossible to stop even with an armed teacher.
    Are teachers supposed to carry AK 47's at school? I can't imagine how dangerous that could be. Also most of these gunman wear bullet proof protection.

This gunman used weapons his mother had at the house & apparently she would take her son out to the gun range for practice. They claim she was a survivalist & had these guns for protection, but too bad her son used these guns to first kill her by shooting right in the face & then going off to do more killings at an Elementary school.

Why does anyone need a military assault weapon for protection? These guns need to be banned from sale to the public..There is no need for them. They aren't hunting weapons or needed for any other excuse the NRA wants to come up with??? Yes, it is harder to get a driver's licence than it is to buy an assault weapon. This needs to stop & NOW!
    The Colorado shooter ordered thousands of rounds of ammunition over the internet with NO restrictions!!! An OUTRAGE!

When I saw the faces of some of those 6 year olds that were brutally murdered, it made me cry. Some of the accounts of the children who escaped witnessed the murder of their classmates. It was horrific
    The teachers who had saved many of the children are heroes. That one teacher who was only 27 was killed & her class was saved because she told the killer the kids were in the library, when they were really in a closet right there. They lived, but watched their young teacher die! How are these children going to be affected by something like that???

I'm heartbroken over this...Our President & Congress must act NOW, not a minute later!!

I totally agree with every word you said TK!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I just finished watch the prayer vigil in Newtown and thought President Obama's remarks tonight to the victim's families were very moving. It was encouraging to hear him tell them "We can't accept acts such as this as routine." I sincerely hope he keeps his word and uses all of his powers to push through some meaningful gun control and mental illness legislation. Unfortunately, these things don't happen quickly in our system, but most of us would probably agree, the sooner we begin, the better.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I just finished watch the prayer vigil in Newtown and thought President Obama's remarks tonight to the victim's families were very moving. It was encouraging to hear him tell them "We can't accept acts such as this as routine." I sincerely hope he keeps his word and uses all of his powers to push through some meaningful gun control and mental illness legislation. Unfortunately, these things don't happen quickly in our system, but most of us would probably agree, the sooner we begin, the better.
    I saw the President's remarks too...and agree with you on everything you said...We are failing young people in this country and something needs to be done...the appetite for guns and violence as entertainment in this country has got to change...