Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Tribute to Benjamin Orr & Brian Connolly

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default My Tribute to Benjamin Orr & Brian Connolly

Just felt compelled to give a little tribute to 2 of my very favorite artist that are no longer with us.

Benjamin Orr, bassist for the group The Cars died 8 years ago tomorrow of cancer. He wrote and sang half of all the Cars material and was truly a great artists and one of the reasons the Cars were so successful.

Benjamin Orr 9/8/1947-10/3/2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmK8ea-K6JE

Also, most of you here know about my obsession with my other favorite group, The Sweet (which goes back as far as my love for the Eagles-some 30+ years). Tho they weren't well known here in the states, they were one of the biggest selling groups there has ever been in the UK. The lead singer of Sweet was Brian Connolly, he died in 1997 of heart and liver failure due to his constant struggle with alcoholism. He would have been 63 years old this Sunday.

Brian Connolly 10/5/1945-2/9/1997

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1-k...eature=related

Their music has meant so much to me over the years, I just wanted to share it with you. Thanks for indulging me a little!
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 10-02-2008 at 09:33 AM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Default Re: My Tribute to Benjamin Orr & Brian Connolly

I loved the Cars!
    And I will search something of the Sweet!

In a peaceful memory:Benjamin Orr & Brian Connolly
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Two of my favorite 'party for one' songs (an expression I stole from Oprah years ago), are Cars songs - Bye Bye Love and Let's Go. I always want to crank it up and start movin'!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

*G* The Cars were one of out Anthem bands in college. I had a friend who looked a LOT like Ric Ocasek and we used to play those albums as loud as we could get away with *G*
    I havent heard of The Sweet, but I will look for them.

It's so sad when young talent like that leaves us so soon.
    RIP guys, and thanks

Stuck on the Border

TBF, what are your favourite Sweet songs? I have been meaning to ask you this for a while. In 1972-73 I was in England at the height of the glam rock era, and of course Sweet were one of the biggest bands of the time. I am a Slade girl, though. Always was. But I still get a kick from hearing Blockbuster, Hellraiser, Teenage Rampage and Love Is Like Oxygen.

Of course drummer Mick Tucker is no longer with us either.

FP-you just made my day and you will probably be sorry you asked. Really great to hear someone actually refer to songs like Teenage Rampage and Hellraiser-here in the states the only songs that anyone really knew way back when were Love Is Like Oxygen, Fox On The Run (which I linked above), Little Willy & of course Ballroom Blitz. My faves of their's lean toward the more rock stuff and not so much of the bubblegum or glam. I love Yesterday's Rain, Turn It Down, Set Me Free, Lost Angels, but of course I like the glam stuff also like Wig Wam Bam (who wouldn't love seeing the Top Of The Pops performance of that with full makeup, headresses) and the bubblegum stuff like Poppa Joe and Funny Funny.

So you were a Slade girl huh? Who doesn't like Noddy Holder--he is such a personality. I liked them also, but just like Sweet, you just didn't hear anything here in the states from them. I was just hooked from the first time I heard Sweet's Little Willy for the first time in the 4th grade. That song made my life miserable with chants from classmates of "Little Willy won't go home!" but once I also saw a picture of the band, I was hooked. Besides, I wanted Brian's hair which was absolutely perfect!!

Here are a couple of links to Sweet for anyone who wants to check them out. The first one is Wig Wam Bam, it was during their "glam" stage and the 2nd one is my favorite, Turn It Down. Love Brian's attitude and voice in this one. Keep in mind, this was the 70s and glam rock was HUGE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vkaNjeDsso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3hWKV-fX3g

Sorry, but I warned you that you would be sorry you asked me about them.

One other thing. I was just watching the link I posted above for Turn It Down, and remembered something. Brian's voice is kinda rough and gravelly in it. I remembered that he had gotten into a fight a while before this was filmed and had been kicked in the throat. After that, a lot of people said his voice was never the same because of the damage that had been done. Just reminded me a little of the injury that Timmy suffered and how he struggled with his voice for awhile also.

Willie, I just finished watching some of The Sweets videos on youtube. I know all of those songs from growing up listening to the radio. I never knew who did them. Those videos really took me back. I liked all of those songs! Talk about party for one songs - those are great!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

PM-glad to hear it!!! Like I said, they just weren't that popular here and to this day, if I say something about Sweet, people will just look at me with a blank stare or they will say "oh the band that did Ballroom Blitz?" that's all they really know. They were a much better band than the bubblegum/glam stuff.

OK 1 fan down, millions more to go! I shall spread the word of Sweet if it takes me the rest of my life!

Border Desperado

Both huge Bands of their own respective time, I enjoyed so much both. I have a great rare version of Love is like... Live, with some cool jamms like a popurri with little parts of other's Bands like Iron Maiden (I believe)...

What was the cause of death of B. Orr?
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.