Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: JD Souther

Default Re: JD Souther

Well, he called it a gray suit, invoking the late Warren Zevon ("in his honor") for some reason...did Warren like to wear gray suits? I called it black (including the shirt)--at least it looked that way when he was up on stage. And his hair had a blondish cast from the lighting--made him look much younger (and hotter) than I anticipated. I kept thinking of how much Lou would've loved the look, because he definitely had a 'Don-like' quality to his appearance with the hair color and facial stubble. However, at the CD-signing afterward, under normal lighting...the suit/shirt became dark gray and his hair gray as well. Aged just by walking off the stage, unfortunately. There were about 50 people waiting in line to sign...many brought multiple items, including older albums. Many also had photos taken with him. I unfortunately didn't even think to bring my camera, as I was coming straight from work rather than home--and that's just not something I pack on my way to work in the morning. I would've had some good shots. Oh well.

Actually, he only played about 3 or 4 songs on our good piano as well! He had 2 good guitars by us, with a comment that his blonde one was in the shop getting worked on. At least he sticks by his story!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Tune in tomorrow, Wednesday, January 20th, to a special live performance of JD Souther on Music City Roots. The 30 minute performance will feature Chris Walters (piano), Viktor Krauss (bass), and Rod McGaha (horns).

Live from the Loveless Cafe in Nashville, TN, you can tune in online at WSM online. Nashville area fans, you can attend live by clicking here.

SHOW STARTS AT 6PM EASTERN/ 7PM CENTRAL

Thanks for all the continued support!

Project Daybreak P.O. Box 68424 | Nashville, TN 37206
    JD Souther.net is maintained and operated by Project Daybreak

This email was sent to mikeaber@swbell.net. To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list.

manage your preferences | opt out using TrueRemove®.

Got this as a forward? Sign up to receive our future emails.

Email Marketing Tools provided by MusicCityNetworks

powered by

Tune in tomorrow, Wednesday, January 20th, to a special live performance of JD Souther on Music City Roots. The 30 minute performance will feature Chris Walters (piano), Viktor Krauss (bass), and Rod McGaha (horns).

Live from the Loveless Cafe in Nashville, TN, you can tune in online at WSM online. Nashville area fans, you can attend live by clicking here.

SHOW STARTS AT 6PM EASTERN/ 7PM CENTRAL

Thanks for all the continued support!

MikeA

Listening to this interview right now. It's only 5 min long - boo!

- Talks about living with Glenn and Jackson Browne, tons of other songwriters
    - "Music has many roots and many branches"
    - Ronstadt got him into bluegrass
    - Played R&B in high school
    - Doesn't care about genre; "It's all just music to me"
    - Talks about making When the World Was You, the trip to Cuba that inspired him to write the songs
    - Talks about going to jazz clubs and listening to bands in order to find the musicians to play on the album
    - Album not overdubbed - they rehearsed and played gigs live for a few months, then recorded it live
    - Talks about reception of new music by audiences when he plays live; says nobody seems to notice the difference between the old and new songs
    - Promotes new live album; says he's doing another studio album in the spring!

He's going to be on later in the hour, playing live for about 30 minutes.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

just got this from JD's News letter..

If you can't make it to tomorrow night's show (1/30) at the Narrow Center in Fall River, MA - then, don't miss a unique opportunity to hear the show live from your computer.

Visit mvyradio.com to tune in. Show begins streaming at 7:45 est.

Listening to the concert now. Good stuff.

He just mentioned his iPhone going off at Susan's show! lol!

Ohio folks - just got this from JD's listserv:
    "Just wanted to let you know that JD will be coming to Nighttown in Cleveland on Friday 5/14, then on to Columbus for an evening at BoMA on Saturday 5/15.

Joining JD this time around will be pianist, Chris Walters. We're really excited to have Chris join us and we promise you will not be disappointed.

5/14 Nighttown - Cleveland, OH buy tickets
    5/15 BoMA - Columbus, OH buy tickets

If you're not from Ohio, then let all your Ohio friends know. We look forward to seeing the rest of you soon!"

Finally, his magnificent version of this is on YouTube (previously you could only find George Strait's cover), with a link to where you can download it off of iTunes if you go the YouTube page:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzyYeg3YuFY[/ame]

BTW he has some new dates in August and Sept:

Hugh's Room
    August 06, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    http://www.hughsroom.com/

Ann Arbor, MI
    August 07, 2010
    The Ark
    Click here for more info

The Sanctuary
    September 25, 2010
    Chatham, NJ
    http://www.sanctuaryconcerts.org/

JD posted this on Facebook:
    "If any of you are on twitter, please note: Tweet #iftheworldwasyou and get a free download and enter a chance to win an autographed 180 gram vinyl copy of the record."

I heard about this Chatham, NJ show the other day. The Sanctuary is the venue very close to where I work that is a church by day, and "intimate concert hall" by night. I've posted before on seeing Poco there about a year and a half ago, as well as Karla Bonoff and others. It's a unique setting because it is so intimate...I bet they can only seat 250 people there or so. And the other advantage is the tickets rarely go above $25. I'll have to consider seeing JD again this fall!

There's a Borderer from the UK, I think maybe GlennsAllNighter, who has family in Chatham...I remember 'talking' to you about that. Am I right? Is it you, GAN?
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...