Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: JD Souther

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: JD Souther

I wish you could have gotten the cd and taken it with you. Sometimes, he signs autographs.

Have fun. I bet you will.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

They'll probably be selling the CD there - I bet he'll sign it for you.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Well, went to the JD Souther concert last night. I did enjoy it, really glad I went, he's a phenomenal songwriter and has quite the repertoire (as you all know), but I must say, the show wasn't really exciting (for lack of a better word). It just seemed like he really didn't want to be there and was just going through the motions. This theater is very small (holds only about 125 people). That's always been the plus for concerts here. It's such an intimite venue, it feels like your in your own home with a large group of friends having a private concert. I guess the downside for the performer is that if you're not really happy to be there, you can't hide it! Everyone has an off night I know, so at first I just chalked it up to the fact that maybe he wasn't feeling well; however, about five songs into the show, he stated how he didn't have his band with him because he was supposed to be on hiatus for Jan and Feb. He had just found out a few weeks ago that his "old" manager had booked this tour, so well, here he was solo because his band was busy. Made the comment that he didn't expect to be on the road right after the holidays. He said he took his Christmas tree down only three days ago and didn't expect to be on the road so soon. At that point, my husband and I just looked at each other with a knowing look, of "he doesn't want to be here and guess we know why it's his "Old" manager"! With that being said, however, I am happy we were there. He is indeed a very talented man. I didn't mind the fact that he was solo, in fact rather enjoyed that aspect. He played both accoustic guitar and piano. He sang a mixture of old favorites and songs from his new CD "If the World Was You". He sang two Eagles songs (highlight of the evening!) "New Kid in Town" and "Best of My Love". He also sang his hit "Only Lonely". It was great hearing all three! He included two songs that he wrote for Linda Ronstadt, "Prisoner in Disguise" and "Simple Man, Simple Dream". From his new CD, he sang "I'll Be Here at Closing Time", "Journey Down the Nile", "In My Arms Tonight", "Border Guard", "Rain", and "House of Pride". (He may have sang others, but that's all I can remember right now!) Other songs included "Jesus in 3/4 Time" and "Silver Blue". He also sang a song that he didn't write but said was an old favorite of his, "Bye, Bye Blackbird". He did sing many more, but I don't remember the names. Sorry! One song he sang and played piano to was really nice. I had never heard it before. After he finished, he said, I'm glad you like it! I wrote that with a buddy of mine, Don Henley! We sat down at the piano at my house and cranked out this song in one day. It was nice but I don't remember the name! If he had mentioned Don Henley first, I would have paid extra close attention! (Unfortunately, my husband couldn't remember the name either!) He did talk a little about himself and told a few stories, which was great, but even then, he wasn't too animated. He had everyone laughing over a story about his tree trimming party and the Bob Dylan Christmas album. He said he bought it in vinyl and had just gotten a new turntable. This was the first album he put on it, and when Dylan came out with "Joy to the World" he didn't know if his turntable was broken or it was just Dylan! He did a really good imitation of Dylan singing the song! He closed the show with a song he didn't write, but said was his mother's favorite song. (OOOhhhhhh!) It was a pretty, mellow song and about half way into the intro you could hear this ringing and a tune playing. At that point he cracked up and pulled his cell phone out of his pocket. It was ringing. He and the audience were all laughing! Some one yelled out answer it, and he did with " Is this important, I'm a little busy right now!". We were all in hysterics. He then held the phone out so the person could hear the audience and hung up with a quick, "call you later!" So, that was the concert in a nutshell. As I said, glad I went, but a little disappointing. I'll be anxious to hear what Eaglesvet has to say about his New Jersey concert tonight. Hopefully, he's cheered up a bit by tonight and has decided to make the best of it even though he didn't want to be on the road right now. (We were the first stop, so maybe he'll warm up as the mini tour goes on) BTW, not just my impression, but what most people seemed to think, by the remarks that were made on the way out after the concert.

I'm sorry it seems JD wasn't into the spirit of the evening, Susan! At least you enjoyed the music.

I'm pretty sure the Henley song he did was "Talking to the Moon" - at least, that's the one he did when I saw him last year. Magnificent song - one of Henley's best. Amazing that they wrote it in an afternoon!

The cell phone story, though, is HILARIOUS!!!!

Just some quick comments, as I have a long day of work ahead of me. It seems as if JD did indeed Get Over It, as he was in good spirits and made no mention of his old manager nor of the tour being a "surprise" (to him). He did mention one other reason for his sour mood last night, Susan...apparently the piano at your venue was pretty out of tune! He said this as soon as he sat down and played a few keys at the baby grand at ours (when I just melted...again.) He was so thrilled by its sound, and commented additionally on the wonderful acoustics of this particular church (more on this later). He then contrasted it with the piano the previous night, and proceeded to deliberately pound out a few bars of "tin cans being hit together" to give us an idea of what it sounded like in Connecticut. Sorry!

Some news for the rest of you fans...he said that he will continue the solo tour until March, when his TRIO will join him. Then, come September, he will have his entire 6-PIECE BAND along! Patience, my friends, patience! Since last night was my virgin voyage into all things JD, I only know the songs I heard and enjoyed last night as solo songs (and some of them I actually don't even know the names of yet, since I haven't played my autographed copy of If the World was You yet... ) However, I can already think of a couple that will sound absolutely awesome with some backing instruments and vocals!

BTW, my non-Eagles friend loved the show as well. So funny, while we were waiting in line afterward for JD to come out to sign, she asked, "So what was his name again?"
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thank you so much for the reviews, Susan and ev! I would have loved to have been with you last night, ev. Maybe there is hope that we can get to another one of these shows yet with his announcement. It was also good that he shed some light on his 'less than enthusiastic' mood at Susan's show. And congrats on your autographed CD, ev. Awesome!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks for the review, ev! Glad you had a great time. Sounds like JD has himself a new fan in your friend!

When I saw JD, it was a one-man show. I loved it but I'm interested to see him with a band as well. Hopefully he'll come back around here in this next tour he speaks of!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks for the reviews ladies! I'm glad you both enjoyed the shows and Ev, wonderful that you got that autographed cd!

Hilarious about the phone call!

I'm hoping he will venture to the interior US sometime soon.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I do plan to write more, maybe later tonight, but if not, then in the next couple of days. One thing I literally just realized, though...there was a couple I noticed in the packed audience (if it wasn't a sell-out crowd, it almost was...in a church that seats 250)---Dreamer, it was the couple who sold us our Timmy tix at The Bitter End!! I had tried to place the faces throughout the night, and just couldn't do it. It wasn't like they even recognized me at all. And it just hit me now, out of the blue, who they were. Funny, huh? I guess all good Eagles fans flock together!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Out on the Border

Really glad to hear that JD was in better spirits at your NJ concert!! Especiallly since you brought a friend who wasn't familiar with his work!! He did mention the piano was a little out of tune, especially the "A" key. He played that note for us and even I could tell it was bad! Which means it really was since I wasn't blessed with a musician's ear! He did say to bear with him, that he was going to transpose a song into a different key to avoid that note. We (the audience) was fine with that. The song was beautiful! It ended up being the one he co-wrote with Don Henley! I guess that explains why he only used the piano (a baby grand too) for about four songs and played guitar with the rest. Although, he wasn't happy with his guitar either. Said that's why he usually travels with three or four guitars but the others were "in the shop" since yes, he said it again, he hadn't planned on being in CT that night! Oh well, what are you going to do? Although it would have been nice if he just would have grinned and beared it for the sake of his fans gathered there. This venue, as I said in my earlier post, is a small little theater. It's actually a non-profit organization and they look to local people like us to support them with membership since they don't have many sponsors and ticket sales alone don't cover expenses. You'd think though that they'd keep the piano tuned. He performed here two years ago, and from what I heard from people who attended that show, it was great and all went welll. (Now I'm really sorry I had to miss that one!)
    Eaglesvet, did he wear a black suit at your concert too? My husband and I laughed when he came out in the black suit and tie, saying he definitely looked like the "fifth Eagle" just coming off the LROOE tour! He did offer to sign CD's, but since we weren't happy with his demeanor at the show, we skipped on that offer. I think most people felt the same way. By the time we got done chatting with friends and left, there were only a handful of people in the CD autograph line (I want to say less than ten?)
    Sodascouts, thanks for identifying the Henley/Souther song for me and yes, the cell phone call was hysterical!