Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: The Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Not really, In the beginning, in 1963, they toured without the girlfriends. I believe John pretended he was single. There may have been minimal pot use, but it ends in 1966. I believe the real drug use comes in a bit later, They were isolated & had to be hidden due to the fans raiding the hotels, trying to get to them & only did interviews, tv shows & concerts. They were rather sheltered & controlled. They were just mobbed everywhere they went. I don't think there were groupies or hookers along for the ride. Only people with them were managers, road crew & Epstein. They needed protection as you will see in the film. It was a lot of work,& they were also very young & seemed even naive. You can see how the world just fell in love with them...Not just the music, but the personalities in their interviews.
    Erm, the drugs started with speed during the Hamburg days. There have been quite a few incidences of various Beatles (and ex-Beatles) admitting to their exploits with groupies, etc, during tours. The same from groupies - e.g. Jenny Kee. The film 'A Hard Days Night' showed a very sanitised version of their life. What happened in real life was different.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Yeah, I think they were in the red-light district in Hamburg. And I read they did a lot of speed to stay awake and play for hours and hours every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Erm, the drugs started with speed during the Hamburg days. There have been quite a few incidences of various Beatles (and ex-Beatles) admitting to their exploits with groupies, etc, during tours. The same from groupies - e.g. Jenny Kee. The film 'A Hard Days Night' showed a very sanitised version of their life. What happened in real life was different.
    Do you really think that is what Ron Howard wanted to portray in this? Like I said, it was about the tours & Beatlemania, Not about a few pills or a few girls they slept with, Geesh, that is not what this is about, It was about how they became famous, where they went, Interviews & shows they did like Ed Sullivan. Things that were so important, Like how they changed music & the music industry forever, \ Hell the Eagles sure glossed over that trash in their History of the Eagles. So much dirt left out....
    If you are looking to read the dirt, go read one of the many books out there which are filled with half truths & incidents nobody can prove, This was about the music, mainly about the music! It was excellent. Besides, much of that is nobody's business. Do you want your high school escapades with drugs, sex & booze written for the world to see?? Nobody does & much of it is probably exaggerated.

Ron Howard made a class act documentary with lots of behind the scenes interviews & footage that has never been seen.
    Why do people always need to hear all the dirt on people????
    Why tarnish them when they did so much good for the music industry?

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I wasn't expecting that Ron Howard would make a film covering the seedier aspects of The Beatles touring. In fact, I expected it to be sanitised. This happens a lot with The Beatles. E.g. John Lennon was incredibly talented. But, he is very far from being the saint that he is portrayed as in much media.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

The Beatles are probably the only band able to compete against the Eagles for the top slot, IMO. After 12 years of enjoying them, I can honestly say that I have almost managed to perfect the English accent. Watched the George Harrison documentary "Living in the Material World" Wednesday, and it was a very illuminating portrayal of his life. Quite touching. One of the best documentaries out there, and I look forward to the new one that's soon to come out about the Beatles' touring days.

My all-time favourite Beatles songs, to the extent that one can really come up with a definitive list:

1. It's All too Much(I bought a Steve Hillage LP recently which had a cover of this song on it)
    2. Old Brown Shoe(my mantra for life)
    3. Fixing a Hole
    4. Octopus' Garden
    5. Baby, You're a Rich Man
    6. Here, There, and Everywhere
    7. Here Comes the Sun
    8. Love You to
    9. With a Little Help from My Friends
    10. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
    11. Hey, Bulldog
    12. Long, Long, Long
    13. Strawberry Fields Forever
    14. Please, Please Me
    15. Things We Said Today

5 favourite Harrison solo songs:

1. "What is Life?"
    2. "This Song"
    3. "My Sweet Lord"
    4. "Faster"
    5. "That's the Way it Goes"

5 favourite Lennon solo songs:

1. "Mind Games"
    2. "Nobody Told Me"
    3. "Number 9 Dream"
    4. "Instant Karma"
    5. "Woman"

5 favourite McCartney solo songs:

1. "Wonderful Christmastime"
    2. "Band on the Run"
    3. "Nineteen Hundred Eighty-Five"
    4. "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey"
    5. "Let 'Em In"

The Starr songs I like are "It Don't Come Easy," "Photograph," and "You're Sixteen, You're Beautiful, and You're Mine."(that one always sounds like Bob Seger right at the beginning)
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border

You have a very interesting & quirky list of favourite Beatles songs there, WS (I'm not sure how else I can abbreviate your name)? Obviously the Yellow Submarine period which many people dislike is a favourite era of yours.

Can I ask why Wonderful Christmastime is your favourite McCartney song?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You have a very interesting & quirky list of favourite Beatles songs there, WS (I'm not sure how else I can abbreviate your name)? Obviously the Yellow Submarine period which many people dislike is a favourite era of yours.

Can I ask why Wonderful Christmastime is your favourite McCartney song?
    As to McCartney, his is probably my least favourite solo career of all of the Fab Four. For most of his songs, I listen to them once and generally don't have another urge to push play on them for weeks at a time. With 'Christmastime,' I enjoy that one immeasurably the one month of the year I listen to it(and I don't do the "Christmas in July" nonsense), so it's probably the easiest one for me to choose as a #1 for him. For the others, I went with some of his non LOL hit songs and a deeper track I like.

My musical tastes are certainly my own. I won't deny my preference for the more excursionary, psychedelic Beatles("Revolver to "Let it Be") as opposed to the straight-ahead pop rock of their earlier days("Please Please Me" to "Rubber Soul"). Tend to go with the songs that possess deeper, more personal meanings for me and weave appealing lyrical and musical tapestries as opposed to either the radio station playlists or all-time rankings by magazines such as Mojo, Rolling Stone, or Uncut.

For as much as I like the two listed “Yellow Submarine” tracks, the album itself is actually quite underwhelming. Of all the rest of the songs, discounting the Classical pieces and the two re-packaged hits, “Only a Northern Song” is remarkable only for the Hammond B3 Organ solos. The song was apparently written about the song's structure, which is a mind-bender for me. “All Together Now” is garbage, pure and simple.

Regarding how one might shorten my user ID, that's entirely your choice. I'm certainly not in the business of telling people how to address me. WS works, as does WS82, WS82C, or any other way one might conjur up.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

After giving it some more thought, I'll add some songs to my favourite songs list and make it a full top 20 deal.

Without further ado...

16. And Your Bird Can Sing
    17. Yesterday
    18. Day Tripper
    19. I'll Follow the Sun
    20. Doctor Robert

Listened to the Steve Hillage LP I mentioned up-thread, and his cover of the Harrisong "It's All too Much" both holds true to the original and also jams it out a bit. A perfect balance. His cover of Beatle compatriot Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man" is also excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpYgU5u2ogQ

I'll be doing a Beatles solo tie-in at some point on his own thread, but Harry Nilsson("One," "Everybody's Talkin'," "Without You," and "Coconut") got early notice for his own Beatles covers. In fact, that's how he got the attention of NEMS agent Derek Taylor, who passed Nilsson's music over to the Fab Four for their enjoyment.

She's Leaving Home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDOzpal5mOs
    You Can't Do That: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue0Mf7_EHk8
    Mother Nature's Son: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YVoltI3_t4

The Beatles and the Eagles are far and away my top two bands. For most of this year, the Eagles have held a strong hold on the top spot. Having said that, right now, I can almost certainly say that the Beatles have, through slow, steady, and hard work over the years, emerged as a slightly better band than the Eagles.
    All carrot, no stick.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Just been listening to Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon and remembered about a little 'Easter egg' that I think The Border's Beatles fans will like. It's on the album's final track, Eclipse (although I couldn't find an Eclipse video with good enough audio to hear this clearly. To hear this Easter egg, skip to 5:20 and turn the volume up LOUD. You will hear the famous line (from Abbey Road Studio doorman Gerry O'Driscoll) about there being no dark side of the moon, but if you listen in the background you can hear an orchestral cover of Ticket To Ride. You can start to hear this while O'Driscoll is speaking but you can continue to hear this until the song ends.

Brain Damage/Eclipse
    (with Ticket To Ride 'Easter egg')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtAgLZcyBnU

O'Driscoll was one of a number of people in and around the studio who were interviewed. The band asked questions such as 'are you afraid of dying' and 'when did you last get in a fight'? I think what must have happened is that the Ticket To Ride cover was being recorded while O'Driscoll was being interviewed, and was unintentionally picked up by the microphone. It seems unlikely that it would have been done deliberately, and they got an absolute gem of a quote in a highly distinctive voice. At normal volume it isn't very noticeable, so they probably decided to leave it (if they noticed it at all). I've also read that Paul and Linda McCartney were among those interviewed, but none of their answers were used.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Thanks JCL!!! I never knew that was there and that's really cool.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."