Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Default Re: The Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    That was inadequate. I should have gone into more detail, quoted more lyrics... I don't know.
    Oh, FP, this is an absolutely fantastic review and I must tell you that I couldn't agree more with what you wrote. Nevertheless this doesn't mean Revolver is my best one - I guess I'd write similar notes on every Beatles' album, since each of them contains the songs I love. I also like your remark about the "George being a mystic" cliche. Gosh, he was such a great, multidimensional person. Only now, being 40+ (but still 50- ) do I manage to appreciate his personality. Before, it was mainly John that I admired, an extravert rebel with a soft, vulnerable and sweet edge, hiding behind his glasses. Now I've come to treasure more introvert natures, kind and observing, asserting themselves in different ways (does it have anything to do with my love for Timothy? )
    Anyways, thanks FP for your post. It would be a pleasure for me to read your opinions on other Beatles' albums

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

Stuck on the Border

Here are John's own comments on Did a Pony:

"I was just having fun with words. It was literally a nonsense song. You just take words and you stick them together, and you see if they have any meaning. Some of them do and some of them don’t ”

From a website with Beatles song stories:

"I just make it up as I go along." In September 1980, he laconically concluded, "(just) another piece of garbage."

Seems to me that if the lyric of a song was nonsense, then he didn't remember the song with affection - although musically it might be great.

I am very fond of Dig a Pony's lyrics and I think it rocks too, besides if you listen and really THINK it's not total nonsense

about Tomorrow Never Knows: I like it because it's weird, Lennon's voice is thrilling and mind twisting(don't know really what to call it) and the "seagull" sounds are an eccentric pleasure

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by irga View Post
    Oh, FP, this is an absolutely fantastic review and I must tell you that I couldn't agree more with what you wrote. Nevertheless this doesn't mean Revolver is my best one - I guess I'd write similar notes on every Beatles' album, since each of them contains the songs I love. I also like your remark about the "George being a mystic" cliche. Gosh, he was such a great, multidimensional person. Only now, being 40+ (but still 50- ) do I manage to appreciate his personality. Before, it was mainly John that I admired, an extravert rebel with a soft, vulnerable and sweet edge, hiding behind his glasses. Now I've come to treasure more introvert natures, kind and observing, asserting themselves in different ways (does it have anything to do with my love for Timothy? )
    Anyways, thanks FP for your post. It would be a pleasure for me to read your opinions on other Beatles' albums
    I'm glad you liked it. I could have been more detailed & more passionate but there's a limit. I agree about George (although Paul is my favourite).

Regarding Dig A Pony I think it's very clever; it has similarities to All You Need Is Love. Love that 'All I want is you'!

Previous mention of One After 909; what a song. Like Two Of Us from the same album it can make you believe that John & Paul would be together forever. It's like the end of Gone With The Wind. You KNOW she'll get him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Previous mention of One After 909; what a song. Like Two Of Us from the same album it can make you believe that John & Paul would be together forever. It's like the end of Gone With The Wind. You KNOW she'll get him back.
    Unfortunatelly, we'll never get to know John's thoughts and feelings about Paul. What we do know is how Paul feels about John:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkzgAJbfme8

I'm always close to tears while listening to this song.

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Fp, thanks for your review! It was great and helped me to understand more of what the Beatles were all about with it.

All of this discussion about their songs is helping me a lot, so thanks everyone. I will continue with my journey!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Good review FP.

My favorite Beatles album is Abbey Road. I like most of them though, except perhaps the White Album.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I'm just curious Austin, why don't you like the White album? It's certainly not my favorite either and a bit of a mess in my opinion but I like many of its songs.

Stuck on the Border

The White Album is even more experimental than Revolver & I would guess that puts a lot of people off. A lot of the songs are very personal & quriky & don't really sound like The Beatles as people imagine them to be. I rate it just after Revolver, Sgt Pepper, A Hard Day's Night & Abbey Road. It took me a long time before I really appreciated it & I still have no time for Revolution 9.

I agree it doesn't sound like the Beatles as a unit and that probably bothers especially the original fans. Also now when I think about it I understand that the amount of experimental songs can be off-putting though I view Revolver as the more experimental of the two. On the other hand the White Album can be called the more experimental one because of all the weirdness like Revolution 9 in it. I just think Revolver has more weird sound effects and backward recording etc. and that's why it feels more experimental to me.