The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Eagles Discussion Areas > Eagles

Eagles Hang out on The Border with the Eagles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #41
East Texas Girl
Border Desperado
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Texas
Posts: 417
Default Re: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I'm definitely putting this on my Christmas list!

I have the DVD-A and the tourbook, so theoretically, the $100 version isn't worth it for me.

But I will ask for the $100 version anyway, because I'm a completist - the exact fan this is aimed at -the fan who will buy the same album, repackaged, again and again and again, because there's just a couple things she doesn't have... in this case, the other stuff in the book.

And as a hardcore of both bands I have to agree with Phil that Fleetwood Mac's 40th anniversary reissues really put this one to shame. How I wish we could have gotten something like that for the Eagles!
I'm with Soda on this one, I want it all. Go big or go home!

Is "Wonderful Union" really that bad though? I have ordered one time with them and it was fine but maybe I was lucky??
East Texas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #42
sodascouts
Administrator
 
sodascouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
Posts: 31,155
Default Re: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

Well, maybe they're better now. In the past, they have sucked. I hope you never have the kind of experiences I and some others have had, which got so bad some of my friends in the Fleetwood Mac fandom set up a Facebook page to complain about them. A while later they changed their brand name (I have no idea if the events are related).
__________________


Always in our hearts, Never forgotten
sodascouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #43
RudieCantFail
Border Rebel
 
RudieCantFail's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 562
Default Re: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

I shouldn't be surprised at the complete lack of demos. It drives me nuts that they don't want to officially release demos, since I thoroughly enjoy Fleetwood Mac demos. I like demos in general to see how the song sounds like in the rough.
RudieCantFail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #44
Houston Baby
Stuck on the Border
 
Houston Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,986
Default Re: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

I went ahead and ordered thru the EAGLES store but Soda is correct, Wonderful Union lacks in service. 3 or 4 years ago, I ordered the satin tour jacket for @ $200 or $225. I opened the box & it was a T-SHIRT!!!
Once I got a hold of their customer service, they were like "really?". They did not ask me to send a photo of the t-shirt or send it back, they just said ok, we will send the tour jacket. I think they know how incompetent they are.
Houston Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #45
sodascouts
Administrator
 
sodascouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
Posts: 31,155
Default Re: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
I shouldn't be surprised at the complete lack of demos. It drives me nuts that they don't want to officially release demos, since I thoroughly enjoy Fleetwood Mac demos. I like demos in general to see how the song sounds like in the rough.
As I was looking at what was offered, it seems they are trying to make up for it a bit with the "extras" on the $100 version. A tourbook is a really nice addition.

Agreed about the demos. It's really cool to see "works in progress" - that's the kind of thing we fans love... outtakes as well. I understand that some of the stuff on their reject pile is total crap, but even early versions with slightly different lyrics are cool to us, as well as early instrumental versions of songs. They played some of that stuff on HOTE so we know it's out there - not to mention some of the stuff that has circulated on torrent sites like the Take It Easy mixes, the early version of Nightingale, the unreleased song Get Up Kate... and that's just what's leaked. Don't tell us there's nothing. There may not be much, but there IS stuff out there.

Yes, if they were to release all of that, I would be hollering "PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY" as I ran to buy it, lol.
__________________


Always in our hearts, Never forgotten
sodascouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #46
FreyFollower
Border Desperado
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Louisiana
Posts: 211
Default Re: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

I agree, the readers of this board are definitely their target purchaser, buying everything in triplicate, eagerly searching for something new for their collection. But just about everyone is disappointed with the scant extras to this set. It would seem that the biggest selling album of the 20th century would deserve to have a 40th anniversary offering befitting it's significance.
In addition to the remastered disc, I would like to have had 2 DVDs; a full length concert video from one or numerous shows, and one with interviews and clips from the guys and others involved in the album about each song and the making of the record in general (back in the day and today's perspective).
...OK, I know that's a lot! But how much could cleaning up the sound on old recordings cost? I think there was plenty of room within a $100 price tag to do more for dedicated fans than was offered. I think by stepping up their cost a little bit , they would have ended up making up for it with increased sales. I would have paid a lot more than $100 for it.
__________________
"Be part of something good--
Leave something good behind."
FreyFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #47
YoungEaglesFan
Border Desperado
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 287
Default Re: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
As I was looking at what was offered, it seems they are trying to make up for it a bit with the "extras" on the $100 version. A tourbook is a really nice addition.

Agreed about the demos. It's really cool to see "works in progress" - that's the kind of thing we fans love... outtakes as well. I understand that some of the stuff on their reject pile is total crap, but even early versions with slightly different lyrics are cool to us, as well as early instrumental versions of songs. They played some of that stuff on HOTE so we know it's out there - not to mention some of the stuff that has circulated on torrent sites like the Take It Easy mixes, the early version of Nightingale, the unreleased song Get Up Kate... and that's just what's leaked. Don't tell us there's nothing. There may not be much, but there IS stuff out there.

Yes, if they were to release all of that, I would be hollering "PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY" as I ran to buy it, lol.
The one excuse I guess they would have is that there is actually a lack of demo stuff to put out. Victim of love was one take, PMAIAR has a vocal bass and drum version out, TALA has the same thing. Hotel and NKIT would be the two which would probably have a good amount of demo stuff though the music for HC was all off the demo felder had except in a higher key. And the way they made the songs was much more personalized so i guess there wouldn't be any if any demos like the one with take it easy. I'd kill for more isolated tracks and it'd be awesome to see some alternate lyrics they had.
YoungEaglesFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #48
Freypower
Stuck on the Border
 
Freypower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 23,519
Default Re: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
I agree, the readers of this board are definitely their target purchaser, buying everything in triplicate, eagerly searching for something new for their collection. But just about everyone is disappointed with the scant extras to this set. It would seem that the biggest selling album of the 20th century would deserve to have a 40th anniversary offering befitting it's significance.
In addition to the remastered disc, I would like to have had 2 DVDs; a full length concert video from one or numerous shows, and one with interviews and clips from the guys and others involved in the album about each song and the making of the record in general (back in the day and today's perspective).
...OK, I know that's a lot! But how much could cleaning up the sound on old recordings cost? I think there was plenty of room within a $100 price tag to do more for dedicated fans than was offered. I think by stepping up their cost a little bit , they would have ended up making up for it with increased sales. I would have paid a lot more than $100 for it.
HC wasn't the biggest selling album. Greatest Hits was.

There is no way you would get a DVD of interviews. Glenn is dead, Felder would not be asked & Randy is doubtful. So all you would get would be (mostly) Henley pontificating. Much like the album really (runs & hides).

Several years ago it would have bothered me that this has come out with nothing that interests me. Now I'm not bothered at all. Good luck to those who buy it: I don't believe I will purchase any Eagles product ever again.
__________________
Freypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #49
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border
 
WalshFan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 9,359
Default Re: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
Austin - We know how much you love this album and it being responsible for turning you into an Eagles fan. You should not feel guilty abut buying this. The second cd has HC songs being performed appx. six weeks before the album came out in Dec. 76. Also, this is with what many consider their "classic" lineup. Austin, if you want it, get it to add to your collection. You deserve it !
It looks like there are some extended jams such as HT, WW and AG. They also performed a shorter version of NKIT(was there a AM radio version of this song ?). The first two cds are great and are something all Randy fans here should love. It is just a heartbreaking shame this 40th annv. tour could never come about.
Thanks NKIT.

I have decided to try to get it. That album means a lot to me and I think I'd regret not doing so.
WalshFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #50
FreyFollower
Border Desperado
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Louisiana
Posts: 211
Default Re: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
HC wasn't the biggest selling album. Greatest Hits was.

There is no way you would get a DVD of interviews. Glenn is dead, Felder would not be asked & Randy is doubtful. So all you would get would be (mostly) Henley pontificating. Much like the album really (runs & hides).

Several years ago it would have bothered me that this has come out with nothing that interests me. Now I'm not bothered at all. Good luck to those who buy it: I don't believe I will purchase any Eagles product ever again.
I guess I'm only half awake, Lol! Of course it was the greatest hits ( biggest seller)! But so far as the interviews, what I meant about back in the day was including old interviews and clips that we know exist from the time period which would include Glenn, Felder and Randy- such as interviews we see bits of on HOTE. I'm also thinking of later interviews in the 80's when they were asked about the album.
__________________
"Be part of something good--
Leave something good behind."
FreyFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.