Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What songs would you have liked to see the Eagles cover

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: What songs would you have liked to see the Eagles cover

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Control View Post
    I thought he wanted to do at least an EP with some covers and some new songs.

See my post about the Niagara Falls shows above. I believe he wanted to do an EP. His version of On The Way Home was awesome, by the way.

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad? Uh... NO. Far too melodramatic & over the top.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad? Uh... NO. Far too melodramatic & over the top.
    Isn't that a given with Meatloaf?!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Isn't that a given with Meatloaf?!

Of course. But totally inappropriate for the Eagles.

I think covering some of JJ Cale's songs could have been interesting. Like Magnolia. Just not sure who would be best on lead. Or After Midnight.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I think covering some of JJ Cale's songs could have been interesting. Like Magnolia. Just not sure who would be best on lead. Or After Midnight.
    Poco did a fantastic job of "Magnolia" on their CRAZY EYES album. I haven't listened to it in awhile, but I think Paul Cotton sings it. If the Eagles had done it, I think either Don or Glenn would've done it perfectly.

Banned

Cool Re: What songs would you have liked to see the Eagles cover

Well, there was that acapella take on "Pappa Was A Rolling Stone," which would've been great if they'd done the whole Temptations trip with the suits and the matching steps - what an encore that would've been.

And I heard Frey casually working by himself on "Chesnut Mare," the great Roger McGuinn song, and also "Return Of The Grievous Angel," by Gram Parsons. No big deal - it was just him sitting in a corner of the studio with an acoustic guitar, with Leadon stopping by on occasion to listen.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    Well, there was that acapella take on "Pappa Was A Rolling Stone," which would've been great if they'd done the whole Temptations trip with the suits and the matching steps - what an encore that would've been.

And I heard Frey casually working by himself on "Chesnut Mare," the great Roger McGuinn song, and also "Return Of The Grievous Angel," by Gram Parsons. No big deal - it was just him sitting in a corner of the studio with an acoustic guitar, with Leadon stopping by on occasion to listen.
    Oh wow. I love Return Of The Grievous Angel. Just thinking of Glenn singing ''twenty thousand roads I went down, down, down....' how lucky for you?

As for Chestnut Mare while I think the song is a bit corny, I saw McGuinn play it about ten years ago at a small Sydney club called The Basement which has now closed. It was the only show I ever saw there.

But Papa, great though it is, is not for a band like the Eagles, harmonies or not. Someone suggested that before & I cringed at the thought of it.