Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: New Glenn Compilation

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: New Glenn Compilation

ITA - Glenn looks absolutely beautiful in your avatar, soda.

And I finally received my copy last Saturday. I guess all I can say is better late than never, but the way Amazon handled this pre-order process totally sucked IMHO. GA - you did well, all things considered, since you received both of your pre-order copies before many of us here in the U.S. did.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    And I finally received my copy last Saturday. I guess all I can say is better late than never, but the way Amazon handled this pre-order process totally sucked IMHO. GA - you did well, all things considered, since you received both of your pre-order copies before many of us here in the U.S. did.
    So, is this whole fiasco with the pre-orders on this collection par for the course for Amazon or an anomaly? I've never pre-ordered anything from Amazon before.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

From my experience, despite their claims, Amazon has a very poor record of delivering pre-orders on or before their release date. For this reason, I normally do not pre-order. However, I decided to do it in this case because I wasn't sure if this was a limited edition or not.

So, as a general rule, I will go back to purchasing new releases at retail stores on their release date, and forego the hassle of dealing with Amazon.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

My Amazon pre-order arrived on the release date and I've never had a problem. Of course, that's mainland UK, shipped using Royal Mail so not a lot to go wrong.

Stuck on the Border

I won't be receving my copy of this until the beginning of June, However, I am not bothered by it. I pre-order from Amazon on a regular basis & won't stop doing so because of this.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I've gotten it - yay!!! I just looked through the lovely booklet and read the material on the inside.

Good except... why did the writer think "Let's Go Home" was the theme from South of Sunset? That was on The Allnighter. He obviously confused it with "Call on Me." A strange mistake to make as they are nothing alike. I can't believe nobody caught that! Otherwise, it was an enjoyable read.

LOVE the pictures, especially the one I made my avatar. Beautiful.
    I have some other comments.

The credits are all over the place. Some songs have writing credits, some have producer credits. Some state which album they are taken from.

True Love has a songwriting credit of Cole Porter/Glenn Frey/Jack Tempchin. There is indeed a Cole Porter song with this title'; it was in the film High Society and has precisely nothing to do with this song.

The liner notes claim to have been written in 2017. They include this statement about Glenn being back with the Eagles 'before the adored band's show closed for good in 2015'. Oh dear. How I wish this were true.

Most of it is about the 80s, just as the photos are. The treatment of the post 80s career is perfunctory at best. However it's mostly a pleasant read.

As for the track selection, I wonder why so much of After Hours which I believe is still obtainable, was included. I wonder at the inclusion of I Got Love, It's Too Soon To Know, Worried Mind and (especially) Better In The USA. Why is Lover's Moon positioned after the After Hours songs except for Route 66? Why is True Love, a minor hit, considered so important that it closes Disc 2? As for Rising Sun, it's less than a minute long, and yet it continues to be included on these compilations.

The photos, while nice, cover only a small time period.

There is no information about how or why it was compiled. Yes, it is better than nothing especially now. But it could have been so much better.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-25-2018 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Yes, it is better than nothing especially now. But it could have been so much better.
    I agree with this. Problem is, the one who could have done the best job on the compilation isn't around anymore.

And it looks like most of those still here really don't care.

Wow, way to be a negative Neillie, FP! However, you do have some valid points.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I have some other comments.

The credits are all over the place. Some songs have writing credits, some have producer credits. Some state which album they are taken from.
    Puzzling, true.

True Love has a songwriting credit of Cole Porter/Glenn Frey/Jack Tempchin. There is indeed a Cole Porter song with this title'; it was in the film High Society and has precisely nothing to do with this song.
    What the freak?!! How could they have been so sloppy??

The liner notes claim to have been written in 2017. They include this statement about Glenn being back with the Eagles 'before the adored band's show closed for good in 2015'. Oh dear. How I wish this were true.
    Oh man. But it's not his fault if he wrote it before the crap went down and they just dated it at the time of release.

As for the track selection, I wonder why so much of After Hours which I believe is still obtainable, was included. I wonder at the inclusion of I Got Love, It's Too Soon To Know, Worried Mind and (especially) Better In The USA. Why is Lover's Moon positioned after the After Hours songs except for Route 66? Why is True Love, a minor hit, considered so important that it closes Disc 2? As for Rising Sun, it's less than a minute long, and yet it continues to be included on these compilations.
    Here's where your personal bias is showing. Just because you don't like songs doesn't mean they shouldn't be included. I enjoy some of the songs you are bemoaning, and I'm glad they included them. I too would have chosen a different running order (although I don't see a problem with ending with an uplifting song like "True Love"), but I'm willing to be you would have problems with mine, too.

The complaint about so many AH songs when it's more readily available than the others is valid in the sense that there should have been more songs from NFA. I still believe there is something behind the scenes going on there. Overall, though, there were only 6 out of 32, which is hardly overwhelming, and this was supposed to be representative of his ENTIRE career.

Your complaint about "Worried Mind" is objectively invalid, however. It was a bonus track and thus a "rarity." It is exactly the kind of thing that should be included, regardless of whether or not you personally find it enjoyable. BTW, something to consider: others, including myself, like it. :: SHOCK ::

The photos, while nice, cover only a small time period.
    I agree that the photos could have had more variety, but the ones we did get are lovely.

There is no information about how or why it was compiled. Yes, it is better than nothing especially now. But it could have been so much better.
    I know it could have been better... but let's try to find a few more good things to say about it alongside the bad.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I had a long drive yesterday, and I listed to the whole thing one and a half times!

It was so good to have something "new." It really felt like a celebration of Glenn, and singing along with so many of his songs from all over his career (minus the glaring omission of NFA) just made me feel good.

The second time around, when I started disc 1 over again, I did have a moment during POMPOY when I got choked up... Whatever time may take away, it cannot change the way we feel today. Glenn has brought us so many special moments. Nothing can ever take those away, even though we are all dealing with so much now.

I am saving the DVD for tonight, when I am going to pour myself a glass of wine, kick back, and enjoy seeing this in high quality for the first time. I am SO looking forward to this!!!!

For all its flaws, I'm really glad this compilation exists.

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    I bought the mp3 of the longbranch tracks they are good clear hq versions such as star spangled bus but there are some disappointments, such as on kite woman the intro has been shortened getting rid of the opening humming melody at the start which would've sounded great in High quality, it was a similar opening hum to the one henley frey do at the start of good day in hell(I know a really specific observation here but it was a nice addition to the arrangement).

Worst is Bring Back Funky Women, which sounds like has JD Souther rerecording his vocal its definitely not the original as I have some of the vinyl tracks from youtube, it sounds like him older straining for a higher vocal then how natural he sounds on the rest of that album. Also JD has been mixed significantly higher on this song which is a shame because on the original version you barely hear JD to the point it sounds like a glenn lead vocal for most of the track now Glenn's lead harmony vocal is buried in the background beneath JD like they diminished Glenn's presence on the song which I dont understand seeing this is a project serving to highlight glenn.
    Oh well a long review but still worth my money for the mp3 versions, definetly not the cd.
    Agreed. I know I want to be positive, but I have to comment on this... why did they turn up JD so much?

I can understand it on the songs where he sings lead I guess, although I miss Glenn's prominent harmony. Maybe that was closer to how he had envisioned it sounding originally... I've heard of loss of high end over time. Maybe they wanted to restore the high end.

Maybe Glenn was never intended to be that prominent on "Bring Back Funky Women" originally and they were correcting that by turning up JD...

But there's no excuse for "Rebecca," a Glenn lead, where Souther's harmony is so loud that it actually drowns out Glenn at points.

Plus, I can now barely hear Glenn during parts of "Never Have Enough."

The liner notes said Souther was in the room during the remixes. Did he sneak over and turn up the dial when the mixer wasn't looking?

While it's cool to be able to hear all Souther's background asides clearly (now I know he says "Read your Bible!" during "Star Spangled Bus"), and while I enjoy the crisper instrumentation, I'll take my old Longbranch Pennywhistle MP3s where I can hear Glenn better over these.