Thread: New Glenn Compilation

Default Re: New Glenn Compilation

Pages 16, 17 (Love what page 16 says!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pages 18, 19... and that's all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

@CAinOH -- THANK YOU SO MUCH! Oh, what wonderful pics! Love every one of them.

If you're interested, check out Jing which works in tandem with screencast.com. It's all free and you can essentially make screenshots of your pics with Jing, upload them to screencast.com and they're cataloged from there. I use it at my workplace all the time. Very easy and intuitive. Best alternative I've found to droplr or the other photo bucket-type sites.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

And, I do have the full booklet scanned into a pdf (along with the two inside photos). Probably won't post that here, but let me know if you're interested.

The pages posted are at 75%, just to give you a perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    @CAinOH -- THANK YOU SO MUCH! Oh, what wonderful pics! Love every one of them.
    Just trying to "earn my keep" around here...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    Oh, that review is pretentious, all right. Sounds just like some of the stuff people said about the Eagles years ago. I'm reminded of Glenn's comment in his interviews with Bob Costas about some music writers setting themselves up as "arbiters of taste," whether they were really qualified to do so or not.

Those of us who are Paul McCartney fans are all too familiar with this method, because we've seen way too many "Paul: hackneyed, saccharine kinda songwriter vs. John: relevant, visionary GENIUS." This for the man who let Yoko have solo vocalizations (they're not songs, for sure) on his albums. About as far as Paul went was Linda singing, "Cook of the House," which was a lightweight little song. Linda didn't have a good voice, but then again, never pretended to be a singer. She was a photographer, and a darn good one. And say what you will about Paul, you didn't pick up an album of his that had the charming song title, "Woman is the N**** of the World" on it. I kid you not. But that kind of crap made John "fearless" and "willing to address critical social issues." Didn't matter that some of his stuff was cringe-inducing for other reasons.

It's exactly the same dynamic here. Some people think if it's not preachy and intense all the time, it's not good. Glenn had social commentary on his albums -- he was just usually sneakier about it than Don. Spoonful of sugar and all that. Plus, it really bothers some critics when the musicians are obviously having FUN! I am put in mind of "Partytown." Clearly, Glenn was just having a blast on that record. Which does not negate its quality in the least. It's a good, rocking little song. And a sly one.

I love John and I love Don, too. "Boys of Summer" is one of my favorite songs by any artist. It's a really, really great song. BUT, is it that much better than anything Glenn ever released? Not to me. And when Don gets his preachy pants on, he's as irritating as any artist could be. The title track on LROOE is a prime example. It's OK to start with, but has no business being 7 minutes long. It's not that good. Four minutes would have been more than enough.

Just my fifty cents' worth. But you get my drift.

I hesitate to call the review pretentious, because it's not in depth enough. What it is is shallow & obvious.

I could not agree with you more, not only about John & Paul, but the same thing also happened with Peter Gabriel vs Phil Collins.

BTW, LROOE is 10 minutes long, but for once I agree with the preachiness of it, as opposed to a solo song like Nobody Else In The World But You, which I heard yesterday and thought 'oh God. Here he goes again'. What he means is 'nobody else in the world but Don Henley'. He should listen to himself. (NB: I like that song).

I had hoped that this box set might finally give a chance for 'critics' to start a reassessment of Glenn's solo work. I hope it still might, but I am not holding my breath.

I do wonder why EVERY photo appears to be from the Strange Weather period. ETA: There are a couple from the Soul Searchin' period.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-14-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Stuck on the Border

FP - I wondered the same thing.

CAinOH - Thanks for posting all the pictures.

Like many here, I pre-ordered in March, only to be told that mine isn't coming until Wednesday!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for scanning the booklet, CAinOH.

And I also agree with groupie's analogy between Paul ;vs. John and Glenn and Don - very similar indeed.

I just checked my order and it still hasn't even shipped yet. The tracker says I should receive it by Thursday or Friday. All I can say is that Amazon's pre-ordering leaves a lot to be desired.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I've pre-ordered before and haven't had this type of experience. They're supposed to get it to you the day of release. You're not supposed to regret pre-ordering, but I certainly do at this point! They've really screwed up here.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten