Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Poco: They Were 'The Next Big Thing...'

Default Re: Poor Poco: They Were 'The Next Big Thing...'

I'd never seen that article before either, WTG Timmy, calling a spade a spade he is a Scorpio you know, what he said was appropriate at the time. Maybe he wanted to call them something worse than that but decided to be discreet (I'm sure he has another word!!)

Think there was likely some political bs going down at the time that song came out, shows that some people don't listen to song lyrics too carefully, do they!! That was so not fair. I haven't listened to much Poco stuff, I have to say...ROC and a couple of others and they were such a good band.

Helped of course by Tim's soaring vocals!!

Thanks for bringing this up, it's helpful when musos are honest with their opinions
    I See what You see...

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    not sure if this is the right thread, but I just ordered two Poco CDs...Head Over Heels and A Good Feelin' To Know...I need to start learning about the sweet Timothy I never knew!!...any other suggestions for good Poco CDs/songs...I'm open!!!
    Zelda, Great choices! Good Feelin' to Know is probably my favorite Poco album. Ooops! There I go again, showing my age. Head Over Heels has 3 songs by a certain bass player and is also a great album. Another personal favorite is Rose of Cimarron. I'm anxious to see if you like Poco. It's been hard being a Poco fan and hearing "who's that?". IMHO, they really deserved so much more recognition. People said they were too country. Country people said they weren't country. They were a great combination of Country and Rock. Hope you like them!

not sure if this is the right thread, but I just ordered two Poco CDs...Head Over Heels and A Good Feelin' To Know...I need to start learning about the sweet Timothy I never knew!!...any other suggestions for good Poco CDs/songs...I'm open!!!
    Zelda, you picked 2 great albums! Don't even get me started on Poco because I can go on for ages! Poco was an amazing band & LIVE, forget about it, they were on fire! They were the unfortunate victims of poor management & slid under the radar, missing out on the huge fame. They were invited to play at Woodstock, but their manager talked them out of it, saying "It was going to rain & nobody would show up" Yeah right dude, it was "THE CONCERT of the CENTURY" If Poco had done Wookstock,they would have had the huge fame they so deserved!

Another myth is that Randy quit Poco,, but no. He was fired by Jim Messina & Richie Furay when he wanted to be involved in the producing & they said no. On the first Poco album, Randy's face was taken out & replaced with a dog! I always wondered why that dog was there??? lol Tim was called in immediately to replace him, (He auditioned the same time as Randy but Randy was chosen) It was a close call between Tim & Randy. Most of Randy's parts were removed from the album. He only played with Poco about 6 months. Randy didn't speak to those guys for about 20 years. Ironicly, he later rejoined Poco, I think in the late 80's or early 90's.

BTW: Where are Poco albums available on CD? All mine are on vinyl & I can't play them!!! Another great album is "The Very Best of Poco" which is the best of the first 8 albums. It was a double album!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Zelda, you picked 2 great albums! Don't even get me started on Poco because I can go on for ages! Poco was an amazing band & LIVE, forget about it, they were on fire! They were the unfortunate victims of poor management & slid under the radar, missing out on the huge fame. They were invited to play at Woodstock, but their manager talked them out of it, saying "It was going to rain & nobody would show up" Yeah right dude, it was "THE CONCERT of the CENTURY" If Poco had done Wookstock,they would have had the huge fame they so deserved!

Another myth is that Randy quit Poco,, but no. He was fired by Jim Messina & Richie Furay when he wanted to be involved in the producing & they said no. On the first Poco album, Randy's face was taken out & replaced with a dog! I always wondered why that dog was there??? lol Tim was called in immediately to replace him, (He auditioned the same time as Randy but Randy was chosen) It was a close call between Tim & Randy. Most of Randy's parts were removed from the album. He only played with Poco about 6 months. Randy didn't speak to those guys for about 20 years. Ironicly, he later rejoined Poco, I think in the late 80's or early 90's.

BTW: Where are Poco albums available on CD? All mine are on vinyl & I can't play them!!! Another great album is "The Very Best of Poco" which is the best of the first 8 albums. It was a double album!
    I ordered them through Amazon

Thanks Zelda, I will have to look for them & order them. Tim was just so great in Poco, I wish you all could have seen him then!! OMG!

Topkat, I agree with you totally! Poco was when I first fell in love with Timothy.When did you see them? I didn't get to see them until 1978. Timothy was already gone. But it was still a great show. I also saw them about 5 years ago. Richie Furay was touring with them They opened for Logins and Messina, and Jim Messina came out and did a few songs with them. Awesome show!

Quote Originally Posted by SallyGee View Post
    Topkat, I agree with you totally! Poco was when I first fell in love with Timothy.When did you see them? I didn't get to see them until 1978. Timothy was already gone. But it was still a great show. I also saw them about 5 years ago. Richie Furay was touring with them They opened for Logins and Messina, and Jim Messina came out and did a few songs with them. Awesome show!
    I discovered Poco when I worked in a record store when I was 16. I found the "Deliverin" album & I read the glowing review on the liner notes that NY DJ, Pete Fornatale wrote about them. I put it on the turntable at the shop & I just fell madly in love with the entire band! I guess it was around 1973. I went to see them live every chance I could, at least a dozen times. They played in NY a lot. They played at the Central Park Festival concerts & also at all the colleges & many other venues in NY. I think the Academy of Music & Carnagie Hall. Tim was just so great live. He was always very happy & always jumping, smiling, dancing & his singing was to die for! I think every girl in the audience fell in love with him! He was not just adorable....his talent was HUGE, even back then!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I discovered Poco when I worked in a record store when I was 16. I found the "Deliverin" album & I read the glowing review on the liner notes that NY DJ, Pete Fornatale wrote about them. I put it on the turntable at the shop & I just fell madly in love with the entire band! I guess it was around 1973. I went to see them live every chance I could, at least a dozen times. They played in NY a lot. They played at the Central Park Festival concerts & also at all the colleges & many other venues in NY. I think the Academy of Music & Carnagie Hall. Tim was just so great live. He was always very happy & always jumping, smiling, dancing & his singing was to die for! I think every girl in the audience fell in love with him! He was not just adorable....his talent was HUGE, even back then!
    I feel like I've missed out on sooo much!

I feel like I've missed out on sooo much!
    Yes Zelda. There is not much Poco video out there, but I can tell you that they were always very high energy & they did have a big following of fans back in the 70's. I remember every show was sold out! They never failed to put a smile on my face! Here is only a small part of what Pete Fornatale, WNEW-FM DJ had to say about them.

"Their soaring harmonies are delicate and precise, guaranteed to uplift your spirits, and the overall effect of their performance is exhilarating.

Like a well oiled machine, Poco is the definitive rock unit. Five highly individualistic talents who somehow manage to merge their efforts and energies and operate as one.

The end result is very difficult to describe because it is so intimately wrapped up with emotions and feelings and such. Poco music is happy music. It's people music. It's toe-tapping, foot-stomping, knee-slapping, blood pumping, wide-grinning, shit-kicking, down-home rock & roll music. And it's some of the finest music being made anywhere by anybody in these troubled times."

Pete Fornatale was one of the hot, FM Dj's in NYC in the 70's. I heard that he had passed away, not too long ago.

I thought it was funny...I just got an ad in my inbox from "The Hamilton" where we saw Timothy in DC...Poco is going to be there...would anyone go see Poco without Timothy?