Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: New Glenn Compilation

Default Re: New Glenn Compilation

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    True Love has a songwriting credit of Cole Porter/Glenn Frey/Jack Tempchin. There is indeed a Cole Porter song with this title'; it was in the film High Society and has precisely nothing to do with this song.
    Just a quick note on this, since I received my Soul Searchin' CD today, the liner notes for "True Love" mention Al Green and Memphis, no word of Cole Porter. Here's the notes (written by Glenn Frey himself) for that song:

For those of you who have my previous albums, I apologize. I just can't shake my obsession with this Al Green-Memphis thing. Like Wilson Pickett says, "Don't Fight It."
    No mention of Cole Porter there or in the credits in the liner notes, but a Google search of "Glenn Frey True Love Cole Porter" brings up a link to to allmusic.com that does (for some reason) have Cole Porter listed in the composer credit.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Just a quick note on this, since I received my Soul Searchin' CD today, the liner notes for "True Love" mention Al Green and Memphis, no word of Cole Porter. Here's the notes (written by Glenn Frey himself) for that song:

No mention of Cole Porter there or in the credits in the liner notes, but a Google search of "Glenn Frey True Love Cole Porter" brings up a link to to allmusic.com that does (for some reason) have Cole Porter listed in the composer credit.

Yes, well as I said, the Cole Porter song True Love is entirely different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1ZLiyGrE0

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Wow, way to be a negative Neillie, FP! However, you do have some valid points.

Puzzling, true.

What the freak?!! How could they have been so sloppy??

Oh man. But it's not his fault if he wrote it before the crap went down and they just dated it at the time of release.

Here's where your personal bias is showing. Just because you don't like songs doesn't mean they shouldn't be included. I enjoy some of the songs you are bemoaning, and I'm glad they included them. I too would have chosen a different running order (although I don't see a problem with ending with an uplifting song like "True Love"), but I'm willing to be you would have problems with mine, too.

The complaint about so many AH songs when it's more readily available than the others is valid in the sense that there should have been more songs from NFA. I still believe there is something behind the scenes going on there. Overall, though, there were only 6 out of 32, which is hardly overwhelming, and this was supposed to be representative of his ENTIRE career.

Your complaint about "Worried Mind" is objectively invalid, however. It was a bonus track and thus a "rarity." It is exactly the kind of thing that should be included, regardless of whether or not you personally find it enjoyable. BTW, something to consider: others, including myself, like it. :: SHOCK ::

I agree that the photos could have had more variety, but the ones we did get are lovely.

I know it could have been better... but let's try to find a few more good things to say about it alongside the bad.
    Soda, it isn't a question of me being negative. I thought later that as this is all we have left, more care should have been taken with it. But thanks for acknowledging that I did have some valid points.

I was wondering why those particular songs which I admit I don't like (except for It's Too Soon To Know, which is a favourite of mine) were included. I couldn't see any rationale for their inclusion. My own opinion of most of them happens to coincide with that, I suppose. Regarding Worried Mind, yes, you are right. I had forgotten it was a bonus track.

I don't know when I am going to watch the DVD. I still find it almost impossible to watch any of Glenn's videos.

(I also wonder why now when I post paragraphs & then submit, the post has two llines between each paragraph & I have to edit the post again to delete it. When I type paragraphs I space them with one line, not two).

Stuck on the Border

Agreed. I know I want to be positive, but I have to comment on this... why did they turn up JD so much?

I can understand it on the songs where he sings lead I guess, although I miss Glenn's prominent harmony. Maybe that was closer to how he had envisioned it sounding originally... I've heard of loss of high end over time. Maybe they wanted to restore the high end.

Maybe Glenn was never intended to be that prominent on "Bring Back Funky Women" originally and they were correcting that...

But there's no excuse for "Rebecca," a Glenn lead, when Souther's harmony actually drowns out Glenn at points.

Plus, I can now barely hear Glenn during parts of "Never Have Enough."

The liner notes said Souther was in the room during the remixes. Did he sneak over and turn up the dial when the mixer wasn't looking?

While it's cool to be able to hear all Souther's background lyrics clearly (now I know he says "Read your Bible!" during "Star Spangled Bus"), and while I enjoy the crisper instrumentation, I'll take my old Longbranch Pennywhistle MP3s where I can hear Glenn better over these.

Are you saying I shouldn't delete my old Longbranch bootleg with its crackles from iTunes to put this on there? Wow. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up. I obviously haven't listened to it yet.

I don't know when I am going to watch the DVD. I still find it almost impossible to watch any of Glenn's videos.
    Hence the wine, in my case. It's not just to relax; it's to fortify. I find it really hard, too.

(I also wonder why now when I post paragraphs & then submit, the post has two llines between each paragraph & I have to edit the post again to delete it. When I type paragraphs I space them with one line, not two).
    I thought it was just me! I don't know why this is happening.

Are you saying I shouldn't delete my old Longbranch bootleg with its crackles from iTunes to put this on there? Wow. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up. I obviously haven't listened to it yet.
    See what you think. Maybe you'll disagree.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Agreed. I know I want to be positive, but I have to comment on this... why did they turn up JD so much?

I can understand it on the songs where he sings lead I guess, although I miss Glenn's prominent harmony. Maybe that was closer to how he had envisioned it sounding originally... I've heard of loss of high end over time. Maybe they wanted to restore the high end.

Maybe Glenn was never intended to be that prominent on "Bring Back Funky Women" originally and they were correcting that by turning up JD...

But there's no excuse for "Rebecca," a Glenn lead, where Souther's harmony is so loud that it actually drowns out Glenn at points.

Plus, I can now barely hear Glenn during parts of "Never Have Enough."

The liner notes said Souther was in the room during the remixes. Did he sneak over and turn up the dial when the mixer wasn't looking?

While it's cool to be able to hear all Souther's background asides clearly (now I know he says "Read your Bible!" during "Star Spangled Bus"), and while I enjoy the crisper instrumentation, I'll take my old Longbranch Pennywhistle MP3s where I can hear Glenn better over these.
    Completely agree Soda, some of them are better some are worse, still glad There are now clearer versions of star spangled bus and kite woman my personal favs. Lol maybe JD did turn a fader up once or twice it's ahrd to look at longbranch pennywhistle as an equal partnership as there are some moments where Glenn is sandwiched between a JD lead vocal and a JD harmony vocal I struggle to hear Glenn's presence still on some tracks
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

I'm gonna posit a theory about the whole "True Love"/ Cole Porter thing and say: legal issues.

Even though there's no conceivable way the songs themselves could cause "confusion in the marketplace," the TITLES possibly could. And as litigious as companies have become over the past few years, and with all the uproar about songs sounding like other songs (e.g., the "Blurred Lines" thing), and the total lack of creativity in so much current music, Glenn's attorneys may have decided to throw that credit in there, give Cole Porter's estate/publishing rights their little half cent per download or CD sale, and save themselves a ton of headaches down the line. It doesn't diminish the worth of the song, and any fan knows who really wrote it. So it's no actual skin off anyone's nose to add the credit, send Porter's estate a $5 check once a year and forget it.

I have NO evidence to back this up, but it just seems to be a not-unlikely scenario.

For all we know, it could be a result of an offhand comment Glenn made to Jack Tempchin at some point. With his goofball sense of humor, it's possible he said, "Hey Jack. Let's put Cole Porter's name on the credits! We're stealing the title from his song!" They laughed about it and went on.

As I said, just my two cents. It's anybody's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    I'm gonna posit a theory about the whole "True Love"/ Cole Porter thing and say: legal issues.

Even though there's no conceivable way the songs themselves could cause "confusion in the marketplace," the TITLES possibly could. And as litigious as companies have become over the past few years, and with all the uproar about songs sounding like other songs (e.g., the "Blurred Lines" thing), and the total lack of creativity in so much current music, Glenn's attorneys may have decided to throw that credit in there, give Cole Porter's estate/publishing rights their little half cent per download or CD sale, and save themselves a ton of headaches down the line. It doesn't diminish the worth of the song, and any fan knows who really wrote it. So it's no actual skin off anyone's nose to add the credit, send Porter's estate a $5 check once a year and forget it.

I have NO evidence to back this up, but it just seems to be a not-unlikely scenario.

For all we know, it could be a result of an offhand comment Glenn made to Jack Tempchin at some point. With his goofball sense of humor, it's possible he said, "Hey Jack. Let's put Cole Porter's name on the credits! We're stealing the title from his song!" They laughed about it and went on.

As I said, just my two cents. It's anybody's guess.
    It is not up to Glenn's attorneys. Who wrote the song is a matter of record. The song was officially registered with the company that distributes royalties (here, ASCAP) back when it was originally released. The original credit, the one on the Soul Searchin' album itself, does not have Cole Porter's name on it. AllMusic.com, just like so many unofficial websites, is incorrect.

The fact that the people who put out this collection would not look up the original information is astounding and smacks of a lack of care taken with the liner notes, which is also evident in the "Let's Go Home" error. Unfortunate.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

You can't copyright a title, either.

Hey, it was just a theory. Maybe it was a lack of due diligence. If so, shame on the people who should have done proper research, to say nothing of checking for accuracy.