Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the King of Hollywood the strangest, coolest song or what?

Default Re: Is the King of Hollywood the strangest, coolest song or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The lead vocals on KOH are sung by Don Henley doing the lower, main part which includes the part he sings by himself ('after 'while nothin' looked pretty') while Glenn sings the falsetto part on the top. The falsetto part is not that easy to hear unless you have heard the Long Beach version, which I obviously prefer, where it is easier to pick out.
    You could have fooled me FP. That sounded so much like Glenn on the lower part. But like I said, I'm basically tone-deaf.

MikeA

I always thought it was Don singing both low and high parts and Glenn singing only "he's calling." It was a pleasant surprise to learn otherwise

Stuck on the Border

To me the lyric is far more 'Don' than 'Glenn' and that indicates that he's singing it. There is a particular way his accent sounds. Our Don fans will tell you about the ecstatic reaction the line 'we're gonna take care of you darlin'' gets at Long Beach. Much as I love Glenn I just don't think it could be him. He has to be doing the falsetto part though, or why would he receive a co lead vocal credit.

I agree with the comments about the music - it has been my second favourite track on the album since I heard it.

Like SS, on first listen, I assumed Don sang lead and Glenn backed him. It wasn't until I read the liner notes and saw it billed as a shared lead that I realized it was Glenn doing falsetto and singing throughout.

Don is far more prominent on this song, I think, at least to me.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Like SS, on first listen, I assumed Don sang lead and Glenn backed him. It wasn't until I read the liner notes and saw it billed as a shared lead that I realized it was Glenn doing falsetto and singing throughout.

Don is far more prominent on this song, I think, at least to me.
    I read the liner notes beforehand but was mistaken anyway

Well dog-gone it, Don sounds so much like Glenn on that he should have just let Glenn sing it <LOL>. Hey...just yanking your chains!

But listen to "You Belong To The City" and sort of compare the vocals. You'll see what I mean.

MikeA

Okay - I listened to it again and it's soooo Don singing the low parts. That's his accent/the way he speaks. Especially like Freypower said - "we're gonna take care of you darlin'" that is soooo Don.

And then you hear "Freaks don't need no Geeks" and it's Don singing in his high voice.

I believe I like the sultry low voice singing Don, myself. Yummmm - sexy!

pft.
    Happy Halloweenie!
    Maid

Stuck on the Border

It's funny, when I was a teenager and rather green in all things Eagles, I assumed that Glenn (who was my hero) was doing the cool sounding low part. Later I realized it's Don. I think the low part sounds like Don throughout, but there are some tiny bits that could be no-one but Don Henley.

some bits that that sound sooooo Don to me (in capitals):

"Well, he sits up thERE"
    "I made 'em what they are toDAY"

The falsetto part is indeed very low in the mix, but there are a couple of places where I think I can kind of hear, or "really feel" Glenn:

"power JUNKY"
    "the MAN JUST ISN'T"

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    some bits that that sound sooooo Don to me (in capitals):

"Well, he sits up thERE"
    "I made 'em what they are toDAY"
    I totally agree, those parts are so Don. I always thought the lower parts were Don, but I didn't know Glenn sang falsetto in any songs... Hmm maybe I've just never paid attention to it

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFanatic View Post
    I totally agree, those parts are so Don. I always thought the lower parts were Don, but I didn't know Glenn sang falsetto in any songs... Hmm maybe I've just never paid attention to it
    He sings falsetto in a couple of solo songs - Somebody Else, Let's Go Home, Living In Darkness, Delicious. The fans are divided on their opinions of this. I generally like the falsetto.

It never occurred to me to compare the vocals of KOH with the vocals of YBTTC but now that Mike has done it I see what he means. I actually would like Glenn to try this type of lower register singing more often. After all his harmonies with the Eagles now are at the low end (listen to WITW & LROOE).

In KOH in the Long Beach version the 'power junkie' line is when you hear him clearly apart from the 'he's callin'' bit which is the only part of the song in which he is more prominent.

I guess the Long Run album where he has one full song and two 'half' songs (KOH & Teenage Jail) is an improvement on Hotel California where he had one song & OOTN where he had one & a half. I wish he had not allowed the number of leads he had to vanish the way he did. Just the way he is doing it now with the live shows. He is better than he seems to think.