Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the King of Hollywood the strangest, coolest song or what?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Is the King of Hollywood the strangest, coolest song or what?

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    I agree with that, I wasn't saying he was better. Each guy is excellent in the parts in the song that he plays solo. But also like you said, Glenn has never been recognized for his efforts and at this late date, probably never will be........
    No I wasn't thinking of your post when I wrote that. In fact I wasn't thinking of anyone's post. I just wanted to explain myself BEFORE anyone misunderstands what I said

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    No I wasn't thinking of your post when I wrote that. In fact I wasn't thinking of anyone's post. I just wanted to explain myself BEFORE anyone misunderstands what I said
    <G>we must both be paranoid cuz that's why I said that, trying to clarify what I meant.......
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    <G>we must both be paranoid cuz that's why I said that, trying to clarify what I meant.......
    Looks like we are...

Border Desperado

pueblo,

if you wanna learn to 'hear' how the boys sound so that you can identify them...

Get Joe Walsh's "You Can't Argue with a sick mind"

(this isolates the guitars to just Joe and Don)

You can hear Joe's guitar voice.. it is very plaintive (they both use phase shifters, a pedal that they stomp on) but if you listen with headphones, they have the parts split... once you can hear Joe's guitar voice, you'll hear Don's too...

Pretty much every 'lick' that those two know, they play on the songs on this record...

From this record, you can hear what their guitar contributions are to the Eagles! From there, you can use a 'subtractive' approach and then you can hear what Glenn brings....

among guitar and rock snobs--> Joe is considered 'a classic voice' and a mensch who is always consdidered a 'great guy' and is pretty universally admired. Felder is considered super talented and the guy who got the shaft and Frey is considered an opportunist and hack guitar player.

All of it is cartoonish and silly (if you ask me) Glenn gets down (as do Joe and Don) but the thought that they aren't all really cool in their own right is just wrong...

This song (especially as the song modulates) is just such an encyclopedia of how the guys approach their playing... just cool!
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Okay, so I made a bet with someone that thinks that Timothy sings King Of Hollywood. I say no way! So who exactly sings this song. Glenn? Also, are there any videos of them performing this song?

Never mind! I found the answer.

That's OK, EF - we all gotta learn sometime! lol

Before the days of the internet which enables us to find answers to most questions like that in seconds, I remember being puzzled as to who sang "Take It to the Limit" since it didn't sound like any of the guys I had seen on Hell Freezes Over, which had precipitated my purchasing of Their Greatest Hits in the first place. "I especially love this song 'Take It to the Limit,' but which one sings it?" I was so ignorant back then!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Wait - so who does sing the lead vocals on King of Hollywood?

I always thought it was Don with Glenn doing some backup.

I'm confused. And I do LOVE this song. So smarmy. I used to live in Hollywood and listened to this song all the time. So accurate of all the a-hole movie/record industry guys out there.

I really like that entire album.

It was Glenn and Don with Glenn I think doing the lions share. But what attracts me so much about that song is the guitar work. Glenn starts it out with that haunting lead-in....in some ways reminiscent of "I Dreamed There Was No War". Not the melody or the key, but the simple brilliance of the lead that sets the tone for the entire song.

Felder kicks in with a solo (around 3:35 into the song) and then Joe wraps it up (around 5:25) with his solo!

All three of the guitarists of the Eagles (not counting Don Henley)! Beautiful!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

The lead vocals on KOH are sung by Don Henley doing the lower, main part which includes the part he sings by himself ('after 'while nothin' looked pretty') while Glenn sings the falsetto part on the top. The falsetto part is not that easy to hear unless you have heard the Long Beach version, which I obviously prefer, where it is easier to pick out.