Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Is the King of Hollywood the strangest, coolest song or what?

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

Default Re: Is the King of Hollywood the strangest, coolest song or what?

I'm in the midst of a true King of Hollywood phase, or maybe I'd better call it an obsession. The last two days it's all I listened to, I think I've played the song a good 25 times now over and over again over this timespan. And at the moment I can't listen to any other song, because anything else sounds heavy. I have never had this before with a song. It made me wonder. Could one call King of Hollywood "gothic rock"? I know Lullaby by The Cure is in this genre.

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!

Not really. I think a song can fit some of the same characteristics as gothic rock without really falling under that umbrella.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree with Soda - Gothic rock entails more than just lyrics. The genre is accompanied by image, attitude, atmosphere, and theatrics. Although the Eagles did occasionally write some dark lyrics, I don't think they ever embraced a gothic style. In fact, quite the contrary - they were never about theatrics.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

I have to agree on that. The Eagles put all sorts of sentiments and emotions in their songs, but they never get theatrical, except for maybe a couple of songs, but It's Your World Now catches a whole other sentiment with a beautiful message and it served so well as (one of) Glenn's anthem(s).

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!