Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: California Jam 1974

Default California Jam 1974

I was looking at "This Day in Eagles History" and noticed that today was the day they played the "California Jam" concert in 1974, to a crowd of approximately 200,000 people. Can you imagine???

I looked at who else played that day on Wikipedia, and here's the list:

Isn't it amazing that out of all those bands, only the Eagles would probably be recognizable to a younger generation of listeners today?

And they weren't even the headliners!

And for fun, here are some videos from that day. Don't they look adorable? They were really rockin'!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nccW-aCd7z4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-4de2AQ4fA[/ame]

And you can download one more from GFO:
    Take It Easy (California Jam 1974)
    Download .mpg (59 megs)
    Download .wmv (12 megs)

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: California Jam 1974

Those were great to see again. Ah --how young they were! Loved Randy's hair! Thanks for posting those!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

I think Deep Purple remain extremely well known even to younger listeners for Smoke On The Water if nothing else. Black Sabbath are still heavy metal icons. ELP are probably still big with 'prog rock' fans. My husband always jokes with me that the Eagles supported Deep Purple but the point is the Eagles were still on the way up and Purple were at the peak of their career (although David Coverdale had replaced Ian Gillan).

I think maybe folks over 30 would get Smoke on the Water for Deep Purple, but would be hard-pressed to name another song. As for Black Sabbath, unfortunately the younger set know them more as the band from whence came Ozzy Osbourne, brain-addled star of reality TV - not for their music.

I know in my own case, I've never even heard of ELP before now. I couldn't name you one other Deep Purple song, nor could I name even one Black Sabbath song. Admittedly, I wasn't allowed to listen to Black Sabbath when they were big, but I never had any desire to even when I got older. I'm sure they have a metalhead following that scrambles to see OzzFest every year, but the mainstream... not so much.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Everyone is different. Perhaps I am showing my age here; I am 48.

Black Sabbath's most famous song is Paranoid.

Some of Purple's other famous songs are Child In Time, Highway Star, Woman From Tokyo, Stormbringer, Burn, Space Truckin', Strange Kind Of Woman, Black Night.

As for ELP they were/are probably better known in Britain.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-06-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think maybe folks over 30 would get Smoke on the Water for Deep Purple, but would be hard-pressed to name another song. As for Black Sabbath, unfortunately the younger set know them more as the band from whence came Ozzy Osbourne, brain-addled star of reality TV - not for their music.

I know in my own case, I've never even heard of ELP before now. I couldn't name you one other Deep Purple song, nor could I name even one Black Sabbath song. Admittedly, I wasn't allowed to listen to Black Sabbath when they were big, but I never had any desire to even when I got older. I'm sure they have a metalhead following that scrambles to see OzzFest every year, but the mainstream... not so much.
    Ditto for me. That's the only song I know of Deep Purple. I've never been a hard rock/metal fan so Black Sabbath never interested me and still doesn't. The only reason I knew who they even are is like you said, Ozzy. And the only song I even remember of him is Crazy Train. lol Never even heard of any of the rest of them except for Earth, Wind, and Fire. They do Shining Star right? maybe? maybe not lol

Stuck on the Border

Earth, Wind & Fire became very popular in the late 70s/80s with hits such as Shining Star, as you said, September and Fantasy. They were a black funk/pop band. Seals & Croft were a folk duo who had hits with Diamond Girl & Summer Breeze. I think Rare Earth were also folky & Black Oak Arkansas were a 'Southern' band like Lynyrd Skynrd.

Regarding Deep Purple I suppose that being Australian I had more exposure to British bands. You will have to take it from me that for a brief period they became almost as big as Led Zeppelin, hence their topping the bill at California Jam.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Ok--I have to pipe up here and age myself also--I am 45 and have LOVED Black Sabbath for years but no way no how have ever really considered myself a "metalhead", nor I think would anyone else. I knew who Ozzy was long before their was a reality series showing how ate up he has become, and Geezer Butler and Tommy Iommi (this guy knows how to play a guitar!) and I can distinctly remember a summer when I was probably about 15 that I might as well call "the Summer of Black Sabbath and the Scorpions" because that was literally all I listened to that summer! Hey--guess what I even loved OzzFest in 2003 and still wear the shirt to prove it! Absolutely was awestruck by a certain Ozzfest performer by the name of Marilyn Manson (*GASP*) who I happen to consider one of the smartest people in rock n roll!

I admit I'm not a huge Deep Purple fan but Emerson, Lake & Palmer--My God --they are some of the most talented musicians out there--Lucky Man, The Peter Gunn Theme, Fanfare For The Common Man... The list goes on and on!

Sorry about the rant but seriously--I absolutely hate it when people just assume people who like that kind of music are some long haired (ok I am) drugged out (I've never tried ANY form of drug) burned out (at times when I don't get enough rest) etc... Some people just happen to enjoy a HUGE variety of music and I am always OPEN to checking out ANYTHING. I can honestly say the only kinds I won't listen to are Country and Opera---but at least I can say I have TRIED to listen to them but didn't enjoy them!!!

I would of given anything to attended something like the California Jam and seen all these artist!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

There is no question that as far as longevity, the Eagles win hands down. However, you all have also made a point that these are very different kinds of music with very different fans and audiences. Dare I say that there are some people out there who (gasp) can't stand the Eagles music!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Deep Purple I know, from them are really great songs.
    However I know from the other bands only the name or one or two songs, I think it is no question of the age, I am 30,
    only of the taste, whether you likes a band and their music or not!
    But the other groups interest me simple not so much.
    Last edited by Koala; 04-07-2009 at 11:54 AM.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)