Page 127 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1480

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Default Re: Fleetwood Mac

Quote Originally Posted by chaim
    I don't think Neil Finn should be in FM any more than Vince Gill should be in the Eagles, but I like his music and respect him a lot so I don't particularly like "this Neil dude" kind of comments. "For seasons in one day", for one, is a fabulous song. I think he co-wrote that one with his brother.
    I appreciate that, but you must understand he has little to no name recognition with me and a huge amount of the American populace unless you say he was lead singer of Crowded House. I genuinely struggled to remember his last name at first.

I had strict parents, and I wasn't allowed to watch MTV or buy rock music when "Don't Dream It's Over" was a hit. That was over 30 years ago. He has gone from a guy who I had never heard of to the guy who replaced Lindsey Buckingham.

I'm not arguing that he's not talented, though. I'm sure he is. And I can remember his name now: Neil Finn. For me, though, the process of learning that name has been a pretty brutal experience.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I appreciate that, but you must understand he has little to no name recognition with me and a huge amount of the American populace unless you say he was lead singer of Crowded House. I genuinely struggled to remember his last name at first.

I had strict parents, and I wasn't allowed to watch MTV or buy rock music when "Don't Dream It's Over" was a hit. That was over 30 years ago. He has gone from a guy who I had never heard of to the guy who replaced Lindsey Buckingham.

I'm not arguing that he's not talented, though. I'm sure he is. And I can remember his name now: Neil Finn. For me, though, the process of learning that name has been a pretty brutal experience.
    Well I guess I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were - because of the way you put it ("this Neil dude") - not only saying that he "sucks" in FM, but as a musician as well. And it felt like it was not expressed as only your personal opinion.
    Last edited by chaim; 05-26-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Well I guess I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were - because of the way you put it ("this Neil dude") - not only saying that he "sucks" in FM, but as a musician as well. And it felt like it was not expressed as only your personal opinion.
    I'm sorry, but you are quoting me as "saying" he "sucks" in FM and as a musician... where did I say that? I've searched this thread, thinking maybe I said it in a moment of anger and forgot about it, but I can't find any such comment. Maybe the search engine is failing me, though, so please help me out here. If you're going to criticize "the way I put it," I'd like to see how I put it, in context.

I've been dismissive of his ability to replace Lindsey in the shows, but I don't think I've gone so far as to say he "sucks" as a musician. If you can show me I'm wrong, I'll apologize.

Stuck on the Border

I'm sorry, but you are quoting me as "saying" he "sucks" in FM and as a musician... where did I say that? I've searched this thread, thinking maybe I said it in a moment of anger and forgot about it, but I can't find any such comment. Maybe the search engine is failing me, though, so please help me out here. If you're going to criticize "the way I put it," I'd like to see how I put it, in context.
    When I put the word "sucks" in quote marks I meant it like as "or something like that" because I couldn't think of a perfect word in English, not as a direct quote from you. You never said it. I often use quote marks like that. Maybe it's wrong...And I was saying that I THOUGHT you were saying (implying, that is) that he sort of "sucks" as a musician. "The way you put it" was referring to the "this Neil dude" comment and I did say that.

When I put the word "sucks" in quote marks I meant it like as "or something like that", not as a direct quote from you. You never said it. I often use quote marks like that. Sorry for being vague, although unintentionally. And I was saying that I THOUGHT you wete saying (implying, that is) that he sort of "sucks" as a musician.
    Wow. I believe that it wasn't intentional, but if you go back and re-read your post, you will see that all of the phrasing of your post, down to the fact that you explicitly say that your problem is with the way I put my criticism, with the "sucks" as part of your example, indicate that you were quoting my words.

But it's all cleared up now, so it's all good.

Just to clarify: I never said he sucked as a musician.

Stuck on the Border

Wow. I believe that it wasn't intentional, but if you go back and re-read your post, you will see that all of the phrasing of your post, down to the fact that you explicitly stay that your problem is with the way I worded my criticism, with the "sucks" as part of your example, indicate that you were quoting my words.

But it's all cleared up now, so it's all good.

Just to clarify: I never said he sucked as a musician.
    Very much unintentional. The "sucks" part was all about how I FELT about the "this Neil dude" comment. It certainly wasn't about what you actually SAID. I'm sorry that didn't come across. At first I was going to say that it felt like Neil Finn is "inferior as a musician", but I wasn't sure if that would say what I had in mind in English. So I just said "sucks". I knew it was a bad word to use, but I honestly tried to think of how to say it. Then I gave up. That's why the "sucks" was in quotation marks. It was a lazy way out.

Sometimes I find it difficult to express what I have in mind in English although it may seem I have no problem with the language.

Very much unintentional. The "sucks" part was all about how I FELT about the "this Neil dude" comment. It certainly wasn't about what you actually SAID. I'm sorry that didn't come across. At first I was going to say that it felt like Neil Finn is "inferior as a musician", but I wasn't sure if that would say what I had in mind in English. So I just said "sucks". I knew it was a bad word to use, but I honestly tried to think of how to say it. Then I gave up. That's why the "sucks" was in quotation marks.

Well, the "inferior as a musician" is accurate, as I do believe that - someone can be very talented, but still not as talented as Lindsey Buckingham. He is the best guitarist on planet earth, IMHO. I think I can fairly argue Neil Finn is less talented, while still being talented.

"Sucks" means the person has no talent whatsoever. That would be a very unfair assessment of Neil Finn. That's why I was prepared to apologize if, in a moment of anger, I had actually said he sucked.

BTW, if anyone wonders why I have a Stevie avatar despite being so unhappy with her lately....

She is 70 today. So I have to wish her well.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEVIE!

Please come to your senses and reunite the Rumours 5!

Stuck on the Border

Well, the "inferior as a musician" is accurate, as I do believe that - someone can be very talented, but still not as talented as Lindsey Buckingham. He is the best guitarist on planet earth, IMHO. I think I can fairly argue Neil Finn is less talented, while still being talented.

"Sucks" means the person has no talent whatsoever. That would be a very unfair assessment of Neil Finn. That's why I was prepared to apologize if, in a moment of anger, I had actually said he sucked.

BTW, if anyone wonders why I have a Stevie avatar despite being so unhappy with her lately....

She is 70 today. So I have to wish her well.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEVIE!

Please come to your senses and reunite the Rumours 5!
    I chose not to use the word "inferior" in the end, because I felt you were suggesting he's a bad musician - not only when compared to the FM people. (Again, "bad" doesn't exactly say what I have in mind, but I can't find the right word in English!) "This Neil dude" just rubbed me the wrong way, but I'm over it. Seriously!
    Last edited by chaim; 05-26-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I chose not to use the word "inferior" in the end, because I felt you were suggesting he's a bad musician - not only when compared to the FM people. (Again, "bad" doesn't exactly say what I have in mind, but I can't find the right word in English!) "This Neil dude" just rubbed me the wrong way, but I'm over it. Seriously!

I had a similar vibe, which is why I also attempted to come to Neil's defence. Him being unknown in America doesn't negate his talent. See my post on page 125. But he certainly does not fit into Fleetwood Mac. AT ALL.

However I have to understand Soda's resentment at this situation. Without going off topic, I had a similar experience on this board suddenly seeing someone I had barely heard of being wished happy birthday.

Anyway I hope Stevie at least has a happy 70th birthday.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-26-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I had a similar vibe, which is why I also attempted to come to Neil's defence. Him being unknown in America doesn't negate his talent. See my post on page 125. But he certainly does not fit into Fleetwood Mac. AT ALL.

However I have to understand Soda's resentment at this situation. Without
    going off topic, I had a similar experience on this board suddenly seeing someone I had barely heard of being wished happy birthday.

Anyway I hope Stevie at least has a happy 70th birthday.
    Yeah, I get it now. Also, after giving it some thought I understood where she was coming from with the comment I reacted to. She simply doesn't know Neil Finn like some of us do. I wouldn't call myself a fan (I only have two or three CH albums, a collection and one of Neil's solo albums), but I respect him a lot.

And, yes, like I already said, he has no business being in FM in my opinion. I've never listened to FM, but I can see that Neil has nothing to offer there. Plus he has a respectable career (at least in terms of integrity and reputation as a songwriter) of his own, so I have no idea why he agreed to do this. I see no positives there - for him, FM or the audience. I can't see anyone in the audience going "Yeah! Neil Finn in Fleetwood Mac!", but I can see a lot of them going "Get outta there!!!" Well, I guess this might be a good move for him financially, but in terms of respect and reputation it might go the other way. He's such a good guy outside of FM, so it's such a shame.
    Last edited by chaim; 05-27-2018 at 07:12 AM.