Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who likes Teenage Jail?

Default Re: Am I the only one who likes Teenage Jail?

I really enjoy TJ as one of the deeper tracks in the band's catalog. I like the duet between Don H. and Glenn, and Don F.'s guitar solo was one of his better efforts on record at that time, IMHO.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

It's ok. I don't skip it, but it would never make a favorites list for me!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Actually now that I think about it I agree the breath he takes before that line and the echo on it is pretty bad but love Glenn's vocals on the chorus, sounds multi-tracked
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Out on the Border

Yeah guitar work by Joe Walsh is phenomenal. my favorite Eagles tune. The synthesizer just blows me away. The lyrics are just made for my teenage years.I wish there was a live video somewhere.

I seem to recall Glenn saying he had his youngest brother (who was a teen at the time) in mind when writing and working on that song. It's good to know it still has appeal with young people! I always found it funny! (I was a teenager then, too!).
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Actually now that I think about it I agree the breath he takes before that line and the echo on it is pretty bad but love Glenn's vocals on the chorus, sounds multi-tracked
    Teenage Jail doesn't have a chorus. Which lines are you referring to? If it's 'you're lost in a teenage jail' that's Don, not Glenn. I would call that the bridge, because it only occurs once.

Of course Felder would criticise it, guitar solo or not, because it was sung by Glenn (mostly). I have no idea why Don had to have any lead vocals on the song at all. It's not as if he is absent from the rest of the album in that regard. The echoing of 'you're not like the others' etc just gets on my nerves & I loathe the part I've just mentioned.

Stuck on the Border

I don't care for the song. I never liked it. IMHO it is one of their three worst songs. It is obvious they were tired and unable to come up with better songs for the LR. I am also not a fan of DS and TS. They are my three least favorite songs and they are all on one album !

Quote Originally Posted by rockel101 View Post
    I wish there was a live video somewhere.
    Don't think they ever performed this song at a concert which was recorded. Apparently it was only performed once, at Capital Center in 1979. Which is speculative, and most probably never recorded.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Teenage Jail doesn't have a chorus. Which lines are you referring to? If it's 'you're lost in a teenage jail' that's Don, not Glenn. I would call that the bridge, because it only occurs once.

Of course Felder would criticise it, guitar solo or not, because it was sung by Glenn (mostly). I have no idea why Don had to have any lead vocals on the song at all. It's not as if he is absent from the rest of the album in that regard. The echoing of 'you're not like the others' etc just gets on my nerves & I loathe the part I've just mentioned.
    The lines I am referring to are the Glenn's parts 'stare out the window, you can't make the time go..etc' I still like Felder's solo and the guitar tone with it's gritty tremolo effect, though I find Don's sparse drum beat really limited for what should of been a harder rocking drum part.
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    The lines I am referring to are the Glenn's parts 'stare out the window, you can't make the time go..etc' I still like Felder's solo and the guitar tone with it's gritty tremolo effect, though I find Don's sparse drum beat really limited for what should of been a harder rocking drum part.
    That's the verse. It isn't a chorus. The song has no chorus at all. If ''you're lost in a teenage jail' was repeated, that would be the chorus. Interestingly, a couple of other songs on this album have no chorus either - King Of Hollywood & The Sad Café (people may disagree but I don't think repeating a song title a couple of times constitutes a chorus). It could also be argued that both The Long Run & I Can't Tell You Why barely have choruses either.

There are some songs which famously start with the chorus (She Loves You by the Beatles).

As for the drums I would suggest the tempo is too slow for them to be 'hard rocking'.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-29-2018 at 07:56 PM.