Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks

Default Re: Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks

Hey Mike! Welcome to my Eagles board! (Mike and I already know each other from our mutual Mac fandom and The Ledge.) Mike, I know you know me as the webmistress of BuckinghamNicks.net, but after I saw Don Henley with Stevie on the "Two Voices" tour back in 2005 I got hooked on the Eagles as well. You see here one of the fruits of that.

Dang, has it really been over six years since that Nicks/Henley show in Chicago that started all of this? Wow, time flies!

Sorry I can't help you with the Tom Petty site, Mike - I'm afraid I don't know any more about that than you do!

At any rate, what you and the others did for the Stevie fandom by sharing such rarities is quite wonderful, as I've told you before. You guys rock!!! Thank you for sharing more info with Joe fans as well.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

"She sees no evil... And she speaks no evil! SHE'S IN LOVE!!!!! And I don't think that they say anything to anyone..."

So, Joe just HATES Stevie now, right? That's depressing.

Why do you think Joe hates Stevie?

Well, let me throw in my two cents, at least.

I see no reason to believe Joe hates Stevie at this point. In fact, they performed together at that infamous bat-mitzvah for David Brooks' daughter in 2005, and Joe spoke kindly of her in an interview about ten years ago. Yeah, he talked trash about her in the nineties and made fun of her back then, but that's the past. Stevie has obviously forgiven him (assuming she heard about what he was saying. I kind of hope she didn't). However, he doesn't seem to view their relationship with the same rose-colored glasses Stevie has been wearing. Stevie doesn't seem to recognize how dysfunctional they were - that even her own descriptions of the relationship make it seem like a morass of co-dependency rather than a grand romance.

She's toned down the Walsh-talk since she and Lindsey got close again a few months ago, I noticed. Hmm!

OK, so I finally got around to watching the Howard Stern interview and while most of it's been talked about, I don't think the Stevie parts really have. So I'm going to transcribe them and we can give our thoughts.

The first time he talked about her was about the 19th minute:

Stern: I was shocked to learn, though, that one of the great romances of your life was Stevie Nicks...

Joe: mmhmm.

Stern:... of Fleetwood Mac. And this was kept on the down-low, even during your whacked-out years.

Joe: Yeah.

Stern: But she says you were the love of her life and probably still are.

Joe: [silence]

Stern: Is she one of those people you had to call and make amends to?

Joe: [pause] mmhmmm.

Stern: Wow.

Joe: She's special.

Stern: She was in love. One of the greatest songwriters ever, right? Stevie Nicks.

Joe: [long pause] ... yeah...

Stern: No?! Am I wrong?

Joe: Well, I mean, songwriters, in the big picture, all of us from the 70s are memorable and notable, but I mean the greatest songwriters are like guys from the 30s and 40s...

Stern: Do you really believe that? You don't believe Jimi Hendrix was a great songwriter? Paul Simon?

Joe: Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, OK....

Stern: You don't consider yourself a great songwriter?

Joe: Well, I don't think it's fair to say one of the best EVER to anybody.

Stern: But what a powerful couple...

Joe: Right.

Stern: Stevie Nicks and Joe Walsh...

Joe: Stevie's very, uh, uh, uh, very high on the list.

Stern: Were you in love with her? [pause] Did you guys ever write together?

Joe: She helped me do the Confessor album.

Stern: No kidding!

Joe: She rode shotgun with me on that one and gave me some direction and she's really good at the CRAFT of songwriting.

Stern: Which means what? Sitting down and really putting a pen to paper?

Joe: Yeah, yeah.

Stern: Trying to figure out the lick and all that?

Joe: Yeah, left to my own devices, I will have, uh, 85 pieces of paper with a couple words on each.

Stern: Right.

Joe: And... people like her... and my wife Marjorie now...

Stern: Right.

Joe:...help me get 85 words on one piece of paper.

Stern: How do they help you do that? You're a songwriter. It's a creative process for you. How do they focus you to take all those 85 slips of paper and combine them into a song?

Joe: Well, my wife is a closer. That's what she does. When I say it's the part of me that was missing?

Stern: Yeah.

Joe: I got a little attention deficit, but in the 50s that wasn't diagnosed. You were just "difficult."

Stern: Right, right.

Joe: But I got it, you know. I see that in one of my sons. I learned about it. I had it SCREAMING in the 50s.

Stern: It's one of those things that affects you where you can't keep your mind on one thing.

Joe: You can't complete tasks. I have a great idea... a FANTASTIC idea... and I get it started and... wait a minute, I have another idea! So, there it sits.

The second time was about the 41st minute:

Stern: Hey, I didn't finish that thought, though, with Stevie Nicks.

Stern: You two became this couple, and she says you are the love of her life.

Robin: All those songs were about JOE?

Joe: She wrote one about me, yeah.

Stern:
    What was the big one about you?

Joe: Uh... [long pause]

Robin: Joe?

Stern: Joe just fell asleep. [they laugh] He's thinking of the name.

Joe: I'm trying to think... I'm embarrassed. I don't remember.

Stern: Was it a Fleetwood Mac song? Or was it from one of her solos?

Joe: One of her solos.

Stern: One of her solo albums.

Stern: [kind of makes noises like the opening of "Stand Back"]

Joe: "Has Anyone Ever Wrote a Song for You"!

Stern: Hell no! I wish you would!

Joe: No, that's how the song goes, stupid!

Stern: Oh $h-t. [laughs] When are you going to write a song about me?

Joe: That's a good idea!

The final time, about the 47th minute:

Stern: What is it, Gary? How dare you interrupt my... He's handing me a piece of paper.

Gary: See what it is.

Stern: Oh, here. Oh...

Gary: That's the song that Stevie wrote for Joe. [to Joe] God, she must have loved you.

Robin: What was the song?

Stern: The song is called... "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You," as Joe said. And I thought he was talking to me! [laughs] Listen to this lyric: "You know I'd rather be alone than be without you. Don't you know..." She'd rather be alone... than be without you.

Stern: What the f--k did you do to this girl?

Robin: He's just lucky that way.

Stern: You must have... you must have banged her silly. Were you in love with her?

Joe: [long pause] As a sister.

Stern: Really?!

Robin: What?!

Stern: God, she was... This was the 70s, right?

Joe: She's like a soulmate, you know.

Stern: Do you still talk to her?

Joe: Once in a while.

Stern: This was like in the 70s, right? I mean, was there a more beautiful, physically beautiful woman than Stevie Nicks? And all that talent? You would think - that's the whole package. I mean, that would be my fantasy.

Robin: Were you not into her?!

Joe: No, I was, Robin. That didn't come out right. All I'm saying is that we were... uh.... uh.... seeking refuge... kind of, in each other's presence.

Stern: 'Cause you both were into drugs at that point?

Joe: Kind of. Yeah, there was that was part of it... but we were on the road, we had careers. We were both lonely.

Stern: Why did you never marry her? Did the thought cross your mind at one point?

Joe: No.

Stern: And you thought that way even in like the terms of a powerful couple. Like, Oh my God, these two incredibly powerful people in rock'n'roll.

Robin: Maybe that would have been too much?

Joe: Well, the relationship came and ran its course, as rock'n'roll relationships do.

Stern: Does it get competitive? Like you sit there, and she was with Fleetwood Mac at the point, I guess...

Joe: No, she wasn't.

Stern: She was a solo? She was in Buckingham Nicks?

Stern: And does it get competitive? Is that the problem? Like you could never really marry another singer/songwriter because the two of you sit there and drive each other nuts with that stuff? Career?

Joe: What made it possible was that we toured together.

Stern: Right. So when you're touring together...

Joe: And we spent all that time together.

Stern: But you were not monogamous with her, so she probably got jealous, too. Knowing you back in those days - you were not going to be limited to one woman. True? You were not going to be limited to one drink and not one woman. You were an addict.

Joe: We were both monogamous... for that summer.

Stern: That's... that's a pretty long time.

Joe: Yes.

Stern: So you felt something for her.

Robin: A whole season!

Stern: In rock'n'roll, that's ten years!

Joe: That's a long time. When we stopped touring, uh, we....

Robin: Drifted apart.

Joe: We had to. [pause] Had to.

Robin: But do you think you could've been with somebody as powerful and talented as Stevie?

Joe: No, I don't think either of us could have committed to a lasting relationship in the state that we were in.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wow! He just really put Joe on the spot there and kind of hung him out to dry! Poor Joe! I guess that is just HS though. He should of expected anything might come out!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Honestly, a lot of Joe's answers kind of piss me off. Stevie gushes about him and calls him one of her great loves, but he obviously never loved her. Stern asked him TWICE about it and the most he could manage was "Like a sister." He does throw out the word "soulmate" but it must mean something different to him than it does to others, because he goes on to basically characterize their relationship as a brief road fling. Meanwhile, in reality, it actually went on for two years (you'd never guess that from this interview). And he was only monogamous for one summer, and is proud he held out THAT long... Well. Lovely.

I guess he's just being real about his feelings, but still, it's tacky how he went about it. I feel sorry for Stevie. She needs to stop talking about Joe. Again, if what he says is true, even when they were together, he didn't love her. That's just humiliating for Stevie, considering what she's said about him. BOO Joe. BOO.

Stuck on the Border

It's obvious that Joe didn't want to talk about it so I don't know why Stern persisted for so long. I think he was rude.