Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Linda Ronstadt & Eagles

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Default Re: Linda Ronstadt & Glenn--the early years

you're not the only one who thinks there may have been something! and even if there wasn't something physical...there was something

If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well although I don't know of any evidence of anything between Glenn and Linda, it's certainly not impossible. She did have a relationship with JD Souther in the early 70's and, of course, during the latter part of the decade, she was in a relationship with the then (and current) governor of California, Jerry Brown.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Even if there was nothing romantic (but please, Lord, let there have been playful flirting!!) , I like that there was a lasting bond, both personal and professional, that lasted that entire decade. They toured a lot together, he guested in various capacities on many of her albums--there was a respect, and hopefully, at least, a friendly affection there, too. I've read a few interview share she said she had issues with many past backing band members because they didn't like backing "a girl." While Glenn and Don did indeed leave, I don't think it was because they resented her, her gender, and her power. They outgrew the gig and on all accounts, it was an ambicable split.

From the 1977 TIME cover story on her:

Rockers make it or break it on the road, and on theN road is where Linda went. It is a dangerous place to be. "I know when I'm on the road for a long time I adopt male attitudes, real rock-'n'-roll attitudes," she says. "I come back home talking like a trucker. I'm not as nice to people."

Then, as now, she traveled with her band, usually as the only woman. Always there are sexual problems. She tries, not entirely successfully, to stay clear of sexual entanglements with her sidemen ("Though if there's another act traveling with us, it can get real interesting").
    Well, he was her ine-time sideman AND a co-headliner, so who knows?

From an interview with Oui(?), from what, 81 or 82:

OUI: Would you ever live in New York?

Frey: Are you nuts?* No, I've never had any desire to go East, young man.* I wanted to go West.* That was where the sun was setting; it seemed to be where the party was.* But I love coming to New York.* I have a ball every time.* Are you kidding? I got restaurants I love.* Last year I went and saw Linda [Ronstadt] in Pirates of Penzance.* I saw Tim Curry in Amadeus. I don't just walk around in blue jeans and T-shirts and drink beer all the time.
    SOURCE

So he saw her in the show. That was sweet.

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Cool quote! Horace Greely said "go west, young man." hehe I have lived East my whole life and I too want to move West one day. "The West is the best." - Jim Morrison
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

The west is pretty awesome and I love that Jim Morrison quote. LOL. You will need to go down there soon. LOL I love what Glenn said in that quote "Are you nuts?" LOL.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That is funny - I also think it's interesting that Glenn's daughter chose to go east to NYU after growing up in L.A. and now lives in NYC.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

From website linked below..$8! Whatta steal!

Curious to know how many times they performed on a double/co-headling bill with her over the decade--anyone have any idea? An old Randy Meisner website has half-filled-in concert listings from Randy's time in the band only, and it lists 15 co-concerts with Linda from 72-77. But it's not completely updated, and only Randy's tenure, so I'm guessing there's more...

Must have been a trip for all involved--did she get to invite people to the 3E parties, too? (I'm guessing her autobio might have mentions of her touring life with all these frisky males over the years.)

Also, didn't she co-headline with them and Jackson Browne at that New Year's Eve Millennium Concert? I can can never find any images or reviews from that night--surely all three must have shared the stage together that night...?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Steal for sure!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by AEW21 View Post
    Also, didn't she co-headline with them and Jackson Browne at that New Year's Eve Millennium Concert? I can can never find any images or reviews from that night--surely all three must have shared the stage together that night...?
    I read somewhere that they performed at that concert, but I have never seen or heard anything else that would confirm this.

ETA: Confirmation! Just found this http://www.staplescenter.com/news/de...staples-center