Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linda Ronstadt & Eagles

Default Linda Ronstadt & Eagles

As the induction of this year's class of Rock n Rock Hall of Fame members quickly approaches, I keep reading lists on the big omissions in the HoF, and Linda Ronstadt is always on the list, with the point being made on how many of her contemporaries are now in the Hall--Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, CSNY, and of course, Eagles. Speculation seems to be that maybe next year is her year, because her autobiography comes out this coming September, and that will get her name and legacy out there again...

After that long and wandering intro, it just got me to wondering about what new details we might learn about the early days of Glenn, Don and the soon-to-be-formed Eagles in the book. She and Glenn seem to have gotten along for the majority of the decade--he guested on a few of her albums, and they played a few benefits/concerts together during the decade. The only overt quote I can find from her RE: Glenn comes from a 1975 Rolling Stones Interview with the infamous Ben Fong-Torres:
    Over the course of her solo career, Linda Ronstadt has been understandably wary about her backup groups. For one thing, she felt inadequate- she didn't know how to talk in musical terms, she said and couldn't give effective orders. For another: "Backing up a girl wasn't cool at all. They didn't want to do that. They wanted to be rock & rollers and have this sexual identity they get by being up onstage with their guitars."

The extreme example occurred in 1972, when she hired Glenn Frey and Don Henley, now Eagles. "I knew Glenn was a temporary thing," she said. "I knew he was going to be a star the minute I met him, he was such a hot shot. I loved him. When Glenn met Don, they wanted to form a band right away."
    I wish more footage existed of them all touring in the early days. Those clips in the Showtime doc don't seem to be online, but there are a few on DailyMotion, post-Eagles formation, including this one--"Favorite Girl Singer"--no need to single out her gender, Glenn, it's the Women's Lib era:
    ETA: I can't figure out how to embed a video here, so here's the link.

Anyone know of any other videos/images out there?

And, of course, this post wouldn't be complete without pics:

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

By the By--has anyone ever seen these images un-watermarked? When the Eagles performed with Linda and Jackson Browne, at that Jerry Brown event, maybe? I just love the smile on his face--and the plaid shirt!

Default Re: Linda Ronstadt & Glenn--the early years

I haven't seen those unwatermarked, but here's a couple more photos from that concert/backstage:

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

You also might enjoy these:

Linda Ronstadt - Rescue Me (Live 1971) - he goes back and forth with her at the end

On this one, he's lead and Linda backs him:

"Get Up Kate" (Troubadour 1971)

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for the pics and suggestions, Soda! God, how I wish there was video floating about of he and Linda going "Kate"...

I should add that GF was quite compliemntary of Linda during the "After Hours" press junkets, saying Linda and Nelson Riddle's early 80s throwback cover albums were a touchstone for him when doing the project. I swear I read one where he said he sent her a copy and received a "lovely" note back from her, but I can't seem to find the interview....

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Thanks for starting this thread

I wasn't aware that she had a biography coming out!
    maybe more footage will be made available to us too..hopefully!
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Just another little piece of trivia - Glenn has also said that Linda was the one that gave him the nickname of "Teen King" back in the day.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I would like to read her biography. Have to check that out!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I would love to read that biography as well. I've always loved Linda.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I listened to those songs (that you posted Nancy) and love them. Especially Get Up Kate.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Unless it gets pushed back, I'm pretty sure it's slated to be published in September. Hopefully, she'll get out there and promote it and belt a few out. I now ahe's semi-retired, but it would be lovely to hear her tear through her varied catalog again. And maybe an increased presence out and about would help her finally get into the Rock n Roll Hall. When you think of all she accomplished in the 70s, sales-wise and song-wise, and how respected she is, it's a crime she hasn't gotten her due.

I can't think of a single interview I've read for After Hours where Glenn didn't mention her Nelson Riddle albums as a benchmark of the "contemporary take on standards" genre. Nice to still see the bond there.

And that she coined Teen King--HA! Oh, what she must have witnessed on those early tours, and beyond... (Though it is wrong I always sort of hoped there had been a fling/crush between them? I like envisioning them trading off verses in "Kate" during those early years and either being madly enamored of each other, or really, really pissed off at the other? Like on the TV show, "Nashville?" I know, I'm a silly girl.)