Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles books

I read the first six pages of the intro and am not impressed. I might get the book when the price goes down.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I read the first six pages of the intro and am not impressed. I might get the book when the price goes down.
    I read it as well. Lots of mistakes & inaccuracies. Definitely not worth the price they are charging. You wouldn't know if what you are reading is fact. I agree with you, VA. I might buy it at a cheaper price, just out of curiosity.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

I just went to the mailbox and got my mail. The Eagles FAQ was there. It's too late to start reading but I looked at the acknowledgments and it appears that his information was gathered from the internet, other books, magazine articles, conversations with other artists, etc. A couple of sentences stood out in the acknowledgments......

"Thanks to Nancy and Lisa, who run two exemplary Eagles sites, EaglesFans.com and EaglesOnlineCentral.com. The information and passion they channel is simply awesome".

I wish he would have had the fan site names in the correct order.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

It's good that he gives the credit!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I had my mom pick me up "Sound Man" the Glyn Johns book today.

I'll read it when my eyes feel like it. Even though the Johns period is my lesser favorite to the Szymczyk period, I felt like I had to read it, not to mention his work with other huge names in rock n' roll.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Books with Eagles content

Has anyone here read Linda Ronstadt's autobiography? I'm intrigued to see there's a chapter on the Eagles. Apparently, some "chapters" in the book are only a few pages, so I won't get too excited.

There's also some Eagles content in the book I'm reading now "Girls Like Us," Sheila Weller's bio of Carole King, Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon. Joni was involved with J.D. Souther (who wasn't?, you may well ask - it's amazing that guy is still standing) and was/is a friend of Don Henley. Mr. Henley doesn't come off particularly well, as one of Joni's boyfriends describes Don as a megalomaniac who only talked about himself.

I thought Joni may have been involved with one or more of the Eagles, as an old Flo & Eddie song claims, but apparently that is not true.

Stuck on the Border

There are a couple of threads that may interest you.

Linda Ronstadt's book gets discussed from about page 5 onwards in the
    Linda Ronstadt thread. From memory, the Eagles chapter is just a couple of pages.

And then there's Joni Mitchell and Glenn.

Is "Girls Like Us" worth a read?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I'm enjoying "Girls Like Us" (tho the title still rankles me - why refer to these mature, major artists as "girls," esp. as they came to prominence in the feminist 70s - but I digress) but will only warn that it's very detailed. Weller did serious, original research on these women, which is kind of refreshing these days when a lot of popular biographies seem to be rehashes of previously published material.

Carole King is a rather fascinating enigma. Her life took some odd turns when she fell head over heels for a songwriter/guru who IIRC occasionally made clothes for the Eagles. Don Felder mentions this guy, Rick, favorably in his memoir too.

Stuck on the Border

How did "The Eagles FAQ" turn out? I looked through a copy in a bookstore and it didn't seem too bad but I decided I didn't want to pay full price for it. I bought a second-hand copy of Marc Shapiro's book instead (great bookshop with both new and used books on the same shelf).

The best part of the Shapiro book is the quotes from Randy Meisner, although he may have regreted them later. In a later interview he said he wished he hadn't said some things that appeared in a book - I'd assumed it was Marc Eliot's book but he's harsher in this one.

The worst part of the Shapiro book is there are lots of really obvious errors - he gets names mixed up and at one point he says that Don Felder was born in Topanga Canyon. Most of the book is cobbled together from written and filmed interviews which makes it tempting to play "spot the source".

Thanks for the Look See of the Eagles FAQ book. Might buy it...but I've read pretty much everything on the band. Nothing really new to read. People are People and sometimes you have to say it's run it's course, move on.......They are all very talented, intelligent people and every human has his/her personality and often times they don't agree. For what's it's worth.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............