Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do Something

Default Re: Do Something

Quote Originally Posted by sad-cafe View Post
    for my 500 post, I am going to say this song is becoming one of my favorites.

Love sweet Timothy B but the message speaks to me. I may have an illness that drags me down but I'm not ready for that rockin chair yet.
    Well said, SC ... and congrats on 500!

Love DS as well ... beautiful song and beautiful lyrics Always makes me cry ...

"Come on baby, don't say maybe ... I gotta know if your sweet love is gonna save me ..." (Take it easy)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJoburg View Post
    Superb song.

Not the right thread for this perhaps but LROOE is a superb, superb album, every song worthy of a place in the tracklisting.
    Any thread is the right place to say that.

SC, congrats on becoming a Rebel, you picked a great thread & thought to post for it.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

thank you

I just love any song Sweet Timothy B sings. He has such a gorgeous voice

Stuck on the Border

This song was mentioned in the LROOE thread. I thought I'd comment here. It's a nice song, but I don't care for the line "I pick up the morning paper; all the news is bad. How did we get on this road we're traveling?" And the reason is simply that even if the earth was 95% paradise, the media would mostly report about the 5% that is chaos. It's not that the world is all bad just because papers say it is.
    Last edited by chaim; 12-20-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Border Troubadour

Indeed, I'm reminded of the 'morning paper' line in Nightingale and Dirty Laundry when I hear that line. I think the premise behind it is correct though.

I will add, I love this song, probably my favoruite TBS Eagles contribution.

Banned

I find Do Something a strange Eagles tune.

Don's bridge could be my favourite bit of the whole LROOE album. It's glorious on a par with anything from their entire repertoire.

The rest of the song, that Don seemingly dumped on Timothy, though I'm not sure he really wanted it, I've never wanted to hear again, after the first few occasions, from the 3 track CD that came free, with the special edition of the Farewell One DVD.

I don't like the sentiment, I don't like the lyrics or the tempo or Tim's vocals but that bridge, Wow!

For me it's evidence that Glenn and Don have lost something. They've started writing good half songs where once they made songs that set a standard and retained it.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Little Sister View Post
    Glenn has been known to do that before. Look at the "earrings lay" and "earrings swing". There's another one I've noticed in the past but it escapes me now as it's late and I'm brain dead. lol
    I've heard Glenn to sing Earrings Sway instead of Lay, I even asked Jack Tempchin and he told me to ask Glenn. HAHAHA

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I find Do Something a strange Eagles tune.

Don's bridge could be my favourite bit of the whole LROOE album. It's glorious on a par with anything from their entire repertoire.

The rest of the song, that Don seemingly dumped on Timothy, though I'm not sure he really wanted it, I've never wanted to hear again, after the first few occasions, from the 3 track CD that came free, with the special edition of the Farewell One DVD.

I don't like the sentiment, I don't like the lyrics or the tempo or Tim's vocals but that bridge, Wow!

For me it's evidence that Glenn and Don have lost something. They've started writing good half songs where once they made songs that set a standard and retained it.
    My memory might fail me, but I remember reading somewhere that Timothy (at least musically) wrote everything except the bridge, which Don wrote.

Banned

Musically, maybe Chaim but when the Eagles did their radio promotion for the Long Road Out Of Eden release in 2007, Don rather than Tim spoke about Do Something. I got the impression that it was Don's song, that he was originally to be the lead singer but it got shifted to be one of Tim's two lead vocals. I was hoping Tim would perform, Do Something live at his solo show but he didn't.

Tim just doesn't sound right singing Don's words but I can understand Joe and Tim being reticent about offering their own songs to the Eagles. Judging by Joe's, Pretty Maids and In The City, that have never appeared on a Walsh record, they seem to take over ownership.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    This song was mentioned in the LROOE thread. I thought I'd comment here. It's a nice song, but I don't care for the line "I pick up the morning paper; all the news is bad. How diid we get on this road we're traveling?" And the reason is simply that even if the earth was 95% paradise, the media would mostly report about the 5% that is chaos. It's not that the world is all bad just because papers say it is.
    chaim - Being that Do Something has a positive message, overall, I never really interpreted this line as being a super negative commentary on the state of the world. I view it more as an expression of the state of journalism, which actually drives home your point. But, of course, your interpretation is also valid.

And F50 - You are entitled to your opinion about whether or not you like this song, but I have to disagree with much of what you wrote here. First of all, based on the few comments made by the band members, I don't think we have enough info to know who contributed most to the lyrics. But, to suggest that Don "dumped the song on Tim" ... I mean REALLY??? I'm not sure where that comes from. And how is this song evidence that Don and Glenn have lost something when Glenn didn't even contribute to the song? And then, I'm further confused when you say in one post that you don't ever want to hear the song again, and then in your next post you said you wished Tim had performed it live? Lastly, it seems to me that it's perfectly reasonable to designate songs as Eagles songs if they appear on an Eagles' album. It doesn't mean that they can't perform the songs solo if they so choose. I'm not trying to pick on you - just trying to clarify where you're coming from here.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016