Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering 9/11

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering 9/11

I was on my way to work in Reston, VA when it came on the radio about the first plane. The DJs on the radio were wondering if it was a traffic plane. I went in, late for a 9am meeting and told my officemate, his uncle worked in the WTC. We went to our meeting and the folks from Israel hadn't called in and we learned the phones were down. We left the conference room to hear about the second WTC plane and the Pentagon. Rumors were flying about building in Roslyn, VA. The internet didn't work, phones and cell phones not working. We went to our cars to listen to WTOP, a news radio station in DC. The DJs were frantic and near tears. Absolute traffic gridlock, their reporters couldn't get anywhere and once they did get somewhere, they couldn't call in their stories.

Through illegal use of AIM at the office, I heard a plane went down in Pittsburgh and my sister sometimes went to the corporate building for Alcoa there. So I tried to contact her. Through email I found out that the plane went down in Somerset, PA. Where the entire rest of my family lives. No one knew where my brother was, his job had him driving all over the county. They were frantic to hear where I was in DC since I sometimes went to the Pentagon area for work.

Around 10:30 we were told to leave, along with everyone else in the entire area. Traffic was horrendous and it took me 30 minutes just to get out of the parking lot. There were rumors of a rogue airplane (turns out it was the one that had already gone down in PA) and that it was headed for DC. Everyone that worked in my building walked out, looking at the sky in fear. It was freaky, like watching War of the Worlds or something. The country music station I listened to had gone off the air and were broadcasting a local TV station. The 6pm/11pm anchors had been called in and were on the air. Familiar voices that made me feel less alone sitting in my truck and trying to get home.

They said the plane in Somerset went down in a field (hello...the whole county is rural) By the time I got home, it was established at the plane in PA went down in a field, and around 2pm my brother's cell phone finally worked and he could call family and let us know he was OK. Being near DC was scary enough, but knowing later that where the plane in PA went down was random freaked me out. My whole family was less than 20 miles from that field, mere seconds to an airplane.

It was easily the worst day of my life and all my family came through OK. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been otherwise. Although, my officemate's uncle was on the floor that the first plane hit dead center and of course, he didn't live through it. We weren't allowed to go to work the next day, we were contractors and suddenly no one trusted anyone.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Thanks for sharing that. Thank goodness everyone in your family at least was OK, but how terrifying!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for telling us your story, VAisForEagleLovers!

Can't believe it's been 10 years since this tragedy!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I could sense the awful tension and fear that you must have felt on that day VA4EL. I think we all felt it wherever we were. It was just after 2pm here in Ireland when these awful events started to unfold. Laura was just a babe in arms at the time. I think we all felt sick with revulsion at what happened that day.

I'm so glad youre family were all ok, but of course we all think of and pray for those who died and those whose lives were changed forever by this atrocity.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

On the front page of the Arizona Republic this morning.

"Can six words summarize 9/11? To mark the 10th anniversary, we asked readers to summarize--in exactly six words--their feelings about that day"
    The headline for the article.

"There's a hole in the world."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for sharing your experiences, VAisFEL. And how appropriate is that headline, AEF!

This weekend, MSNBC is rebroading the live coverage of the Today show that was airing at the time this happened. I watched it last night, and it still was very hard to watch as the events of that day unfolded. Watching the footage as those towers collapsed brought tears to my eyes even 10 years later. This event was so much more than just two buildings collapsing and the loss of lives of the almost 3,000 souls that perished that day. Everyone of us in the free world are victims of those attacks to some extent. My heart goes out those families and friends who lost loved ones that day as they have to relive these events once again. But, IMO, as painful as it is, this is a day that we should never forget. There definitely is a hole in the world.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

You said it very well, Dreamer.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

VA, thanks for sharing your story with us. What a terrible day that was and it's hard to believe it's been 10 years.

My heart goes out to all those that lost loved ones. I watched some of the memorial service on tv before we went to church and many times tears came to my eyes. Hubby and I listened to Neil Young's song Let's Roll last night and talked about how awesome those people on that plane were.

We will never forget.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I'm finding myself today thinking a lot about the people on those planes. The two WTC planes took off from Boston's Logan Airport, which is the nearest major airport to me. There were dozens of people from around here who never suspected a thing when they boarded for business trips, family vacations or wherever they were headed.

I remember reading some of the specifics:

- An entire family off to visit relatives in California

- The Massachusetts sales team of a department store chain off to a West Coast sales convention

- The pilot of AA11 being from my home town.

And so many more. My thoughts are with all of them today.

The events of that day have had far reaching effects. They changed the world forever. I watched 60 Minutes a little while ago. Various people who were at the scene that day were interviewed, including police men & women& medical personnel. Some had been trapped in the buildings. They were all very emotional as they told of their experiences. All have health problems, Many have lung diseases. They all suffered mentally & many have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Here in Canada the events hit us very hard, as well. I remember vividly being in the cafeteria at work during my break. There was a lounge with a television off the cafeteria. Someone came out of the lounge & announced that a plane had hit the WTC. I entered the lounge just in time to see the second plane hit. Horrifying! I pray for the families of those lost & for the survivors who are still experiencing their own personal hell.