Page 274 of 301 FirstFirst ... 174224264270271272273274275276277278284 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,740 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Quote Originally Posted by FWIW View Post
    Thanks for the link to the MM article, UtW. Glenn's description of playing in England is interesting.
    “What I like about playing in England,” said Frey as we drew to a close, “is the attentiveness of the audience. In America we tend to play to very boisterous crowds, but in England they sit and listen and I just thrive on that."
    I've never attended a concert in England. Does this characterization still hold true today?
    I don't know about younger crowds, but I believe it's still true for audiences of bands like the Eagles. It's the same with theatre.

I've read that "Best of My Love" started with Glenn trying out a guitar tuning that Joni Mitchell had shown him.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thanks, UtW. Have you noticed that when Glenn and Don spoke about their songwriting, they almost always seemed to focus on the lyrics exclusively. How they would discuss every single word choice before deciding, "We can say that." It's just interesting to me. I would think that writing music is a more rarefied skill. Many, many people can write good lyrics.

I've only been to one concert in England so far, the Led Zep reunion in December 2007, and the audience was rapturous but quieted down for the songs. And for when Robert was speaking in between songs too, IIRC. I haven't watched the DVD yet because I'm weird about it potentially wiping out my own memories of the gig. I want to remember my own image of the charismatic Lord Page, summoning the four directions before embarking on a shredtastic solo.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I don't know about younger crowds, but I believe it's still true for audiences of bands like the Eagles. It's the same with theatre.

I've read that "Best of My Love" started with Glenn trying out a guitar tuning that Joni Mitchell had shown him.
    This is correct, but as always seems to be the case he hardly gets any credit for the song because he didn't sing it.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thanks, UtW. Have you noticed that when Glenn and Don spoke about their songwriting, they almost always seemed to focus on the lyrics exclusively. How they would discuss every single word choice before deciding, "We can say that." It's just interesting to me. I would think that writing music is a more rarefied skill. Many, many people can write good lyrics.

I've only been to one concert in England so far, the Led Zep reunion in December 2007, and the audience was rapturous but quieted down for the songs. And for when Robert was speaking in between songs too, IIRC. I haven't watched the DVD yet because I'm weird about it potentially wiping out my own memories of the gig. I want to remember my own image of the charismatic Lord Page, summoning the four directions before embarking on a shredtastic solo.
    I would have loved to see Led Zep live and in England no less - holy moly that would be heaven on earth!! Glad it happened to you - and yes - your memories of that extraordinary concert must be awesome and I totally get wanting to preserve them in the image of your personal experience.

Border Desperado

NMB - I've noticed a focus on the lyrics as well. I think they did it because it's easier for the average person to relate to writing lyrics rather than writing music. From my own perspective, I would have no idea how to start writing music. I can at least imagine writing lyrics.

FP - So true. At least Glenn often gets credit from his contemporaries. That makes me happy. He thought of the band and the fans first and foremost and didn't seem concerned about tooting his own horn.

Stuck on the Border

I've seen either Glenn or Don say that J.D.'s contribution to BOML was the bridge ("I'm going back in time..."). So he was far from the driver's seat when that song was written.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Wow, had no idea you'd been to that show! I saw the Celebration Day show on TV just over a year ago and was hugely impressed. Perhaps a bump of the Led Zeppelin thread is in order? Would absolutely love to hear more about what it was like to witness live.

Can't disagree with anything said about BOML so far. I definitely remember reading that J.D. helped write the bridge, which is probably my favourite part of the song. I've no idea how much input there was from Glenn and Don on the rest of the song, I could speculate but it isn't a particularly clear cut case to me (in contrast to say, The Last Resort, which seems to be firmly Don's song, or Heartache Tonight, where I get the sense from reading the various accounts that once you take out Bob Seger's contribution, the rest was mostly Glenn and J.D.).

Eagles' Debut: Don Henley on How Peyote, the Occult Shaped Hit LP

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...#ixzz4AMTQRCnq

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That's a great article. Don H. has a mind like a steel trap.

This is from the special issue on the Eagles, isn't it?
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 06-02-2016 at 11:04 AM.

There is no doubt that the man is brilliant. Deep respect for Don Henley.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you