Page 234 of 301 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

I subscribe to Rolling Stone. This won't be in the print copy of the magazine. I think it's a shame they still want to define Glenn by one comment he made 35 years ago as if no other rock stars have ever had arguments while on stage. As for the Lebowski stuff he had every right to be upset about it, as it is endlessly, tediously repeated, apparently without end.

A lazy piece full of recycled "facts" they probably got off Google after doing a couple searches.

But they got us to click on it, which is all they wanted anyway, so I guess they win.

Who cares if the article is crap if it gets you eyeballs? It's the motto of today's media, where online articles feature click-bait headlines and 90% of the material consists of bogus fluff pieces full of inflammatory inanities - items that are designed to work people up rather than to provide any meaningful content.

But I digress. I shall distill my reaction to this particular piece down to its essence, thusly:

Eagles = made of awesome
    RS = made of suck

I rest my case.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

And articles/commentaries like this were why I did not renew my subscription to RS. After awhile, it becomes tiresome.

Stuck on the Border

But as I said that stuff is on the website, not the magazine. The magazine does write about subjects other than how much RS hates the Eagles. Where I take issue with RS is in its unconditional worship of Bruce Springsteen & U2.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

In my experience Rolling Stone loves the following bands/artists:
    - The Beach Boys
    I like their songs, but I just don't hear what is supposed to make Pet Sounds so great (apologies to the many people who love it, I have tried with it a couple of times and am just not crazy about it bar the obvious songs).
    - The Beatles
    Not going to argue with them on this, RS's love of them is totally understandable.
    - Bob Dylan
    In fairness, I can't exactly disagree with them here! I wouldn't strongly disagree with Like A Rolling Stone being the best song of all time, but can't help but feel this choice wasn't a coincidence...
    - Bruce Springsteen
    I don't really have any strong opinion on his music if I'm being honest, just haven't heard that much of him, although I probably lean towards him being a bit overrated.
    - The Rolling Stones
    Can't think why RS like this band (see my Bob Dylan comment).
    - U2
    I am aware there are some pretty big fans on here (I'm ambivalent to them myself, varying between different phases and album) but I think they ae probably the band most overrated by the magazine. They had numerous songs on Rolling Stone's most recent Top 500 songs list, including the then very recently released Moment Of Surrender. Also, didn't their last album get 5 stars from RS? Don't get me started on its method of release ...)

While not rating these bands:
    - Deep Purple
    Not included in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I don't care, but it says less about Deep Purple than it does about RS!
    - Dire Straits
    Also not in the Hall Of Fame, and had no songs on the Top 500 songs list. Sultans Of Swing, anyone?
    - Eagles
    Goes without saying...
    - Led Zeppelin
    Less so now, but back in the 1970s RS routinely trashed their albums, and only gave them higher ratings when they realised they were alone in their opinion on the band.
    - Pink Floyd
    Only three songs on the Top 500 list. Get little recognition for their work apart from the 'Big Three' albums (Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, The Wall), when albums like Animals and Meddle are also classics.
    - Rush
    Not represented in the Top 500 list and largely ignored by the magazine.

There are probably others, but these are the first ones that spring to my mind.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Very interesting post, jcl. And for the most part I think your comments are right on.

Regarding the Eagles, like with Led Zeppelin, they have softened their stance somewhat over the years once they realized what a massively popular and legendary band they evolved into.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I don't hate RS but it's musical conservatism really annoys me sometimes and I also dislike them because of their trashing of Zep and other bands in the past and then singing their praises in the recent years

as an addition to your list of RS's favorites, jcl, The Who maybe a bit less extremely but still

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Given that this guy considers the Eagles to be a country band, I'm surprised Take It Easy didn't make his 'six list'.

Regarding Lyin' Eyes, I'm sure Glenn and Don were in the bar to drink (and get laid). The 'subject matter' just happened.

http://www.daily-journal.com/news/lo...a5c9ab4d3.html
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Ummm, I guess this would go here? Just read it, you'll see. And for the last time, no, Gawker is not my primary source of news! (it sort of is, though)

http://gawker.com/woman-accused-of-d...ing-1704336352

I guess even a psychopath can be an Eagles fan! I'll refrain from the tasteless joke I'm tempted to make about her song choice.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten