Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Allnighter"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "The Allnighter"

Perhaps this is the problem when you have to give into record label pressure rather than follow your instincts. MCA agreed to release the album if Glenn recorded three new songs. They just happen to be the three I like least: "I've Got Love", "Sexy Girl" and "Better in the USA". We know one of the songs that was dropped was "After Hours", so maybe there were other gems that escaped.

Did "The Heat is On" ever get included on the US release? Sales would have received a boost from Miami Vice and Beverly Hills Cops.

The funny thing about "You Belong to the City" was that they were sure it was going to be a big hit even before they recorded it.

Stuck on the Border

I've looked for a legitimate copy of "Living in Darkness" for some time, as my CD has "The Heat is On" instead. Yesterday, most of Glenn's back catalogue became available as digital downloads (in the UK) and this includes "Living in Darkness".

I've been playing it on loop last night and this morning and I love it. I watched the UK "The Voice" and someone sang "Ain't Nobody" and so I immediately made the connection with Hawk Wolinski.
    I can't help thinking that Glenn must have had a blast recording some funk. It certainly cheered me up.

As it's a Frey/Tempchin/Wolinksi co-write, I'm guessing that Glenn and Jack wrote the lyrics and possibly the vocal melody and the rest his pure Hawk. The only other track of Glenn's that is similar is "Flip City", also a Hawk co-write.

My take on the lyrics is that its aim was wider than Don and was anyone who was trying to persuade him that the band should get back together to play a few dates.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 01-26-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I do like this c.d. too!! It cheers me up to listen to his music!! I have some favvies on this c.d.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Happy 32nd Birthday to The Allnighter album. One of my favorite albums of Glenn's. The other one is Soul Searchin'.

My favorite songs: Smuggler's Blues, Sexy Girl, and New Love

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Happy 32nd anniversary to The Allnighter

Smuggler's Blues is my favorite Glenn solo song and the title track is in my top 10.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Happy 32nd to "The Allnighter"!!! I love "Smuggler's Blues" too (especially the video since it was like a movie), as well as the title track (even if the first time I heard it I kept giggling about the subject matter LOL). "Sexy Girl" not so much since I feel it's dated but I didn't hear that one till recently so that's probably why.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

"Smuggler's Blues" is in my top three Glenn solo songs. I'm so glad that Miami Vice brought that fantastic song to the public's attention.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE ALLNIGHTER!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy 33rd Birthday to The Allnighter.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I've been so busy with my parents' 50th Anniversary party and being in Texas that I haven't been posting hardly at all, and admittedly, I do feel a bit of the wind has been taken out of my sails when it comes to posting overall.

However, I took want to wish a happy birthday to The Allnighter, be a very belated one.

I really don't like the high voice songs, but the others are great, and who doesn't love Smuggler's Blues? Awesome!

Thanks for reminding us, shun!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

The "grower" on this album, for me, is "New Love". At first I dismissed it as just a simple love song with the backing singers carrying most of it. However, I love Glenn's vocals and the melody and sentiments are lovely.

I'm also quite taken with "Living in Darkness". It isn't on the CD that I bought (replaced by "The Heat Is On") but I was able to purchase an mp3 version when Glenn's back-catalogue became available last year. Musically, it owes a lot to Hawk Wolinski and there are simularities to another collaboration, "Flip City" and the use of synths date it. Lyrically, it would seem to be Glenn, no doubt with help from Jack Tempchin, and I wonder if it was a response to pressure to reunite for the US festivals.