Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The last great Frey and Henley co-write

Default Re: The last great Frey and Henley co-write

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I’m sorry, I was referring to the Henley-Frey songs with an additional co-writer(s). The songs with only Henley-Frey credits were probably listed that way for the sake of convenience and consistency.

One must be careful about the source of some of these song credits. I’ve seen it listed in the order you describe on Wiki, probably by some fan who didn’t bother to double-check the original credits and assumed Henley and Frey created everything.
    I was half expecting that to happen lol. Thanks for the correction

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Why is it so difficult to accept Felder came up with the new HC arrangement on his own? He had the background, experience and chops to meet the challenge. He was basically ordered by Henley and Frey to come up with a new intro so i would think that Glenn was fine with it. I recently posted a link to a radio interview in his thread where he discusses this.

He was there, we were not and AFAIK, no one who was in the band has refuted his account of events.
    Well I believe that Don made the entire acoustic intro and some other parts, but I doubt the entire idea and arrangement was his idea and work. I don’t think he has even claimed he did that. For the record I still think he should have been listed first, but I just feel there was some general band input on that. I doubt Felder wouldnt have the authority to make that decision.
    Last edited by YoungEaglesFan; 06-08-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The vast majority of Henley-Frey co-writes are listed as 'Henley'-Frey'. If what you say is correct then Henley would have had to have had EVERY SINGLE one of those song ideas. Frankly I doubt that. I suppose I am defending Glenn here but I believe they used 'Henley-Frey' the way the Beatles used 'Lennon-McCartney'.
    Well, I think it's been stated a few times that it appears that the Henley-Frey naming was based on something they decided among themselves for their co-writes...and if just 2 people are involved, whatever they agree upon is fine, I'm sure.

It's interesting that when it's multiples (3 or more), Henley and Frey's names are separated sometimes, and not always attached to one another and not in the same order.
    Doolin-Dalton (G. Frey-J.D. Souther-D. Henley-J. Browne
    On The Border (Henley/Leadon/Frey)
    James Dean (J. Browne/G. Frey/J.D. Souther/D. Henley)

So who really knows what determines the order. I thought I did, but at the very least, it's not a hard and fast rule.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I remember seeing an interview with Glenn years ago regarding the song writing credit. Glenn stated that when he and Don first began writing, they agreed that all their songs would be listed as "Don Henley/Glenn Frey".
    I also remember reading interviews from back in the day where Glenn discussed this. Per an agreement between the two of them, Henley was always listed before Frey simply because they thought Henley/Frey sounded better than Frey/Henley ala Lennon/McCartney. I think the agreement took place after the first few albums though, which may explain some inconsistencies on the earlier albums. With regard to the songwriting credits for other members in the band, I guess it was more subjective as to how they were listed depending on their contributions.

As far as the change in the HC writing credits, Felder has been very inconsistent in telling the story. Just as one example, I believe he says Glenn told him to come up with a new intro in his book, whereas I think he said it was Henley's request in the HOTE documentary. I agree with FP that the change was probably because Felder was not the originator of the new acoustic arrangement or it could have been done in error. We may never know.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

I was doing a bit of research on songwriting, and there are several ways to determine songwriting splits, and such, but nothing "legal" as far as I could find about name order, so that would be a band decision, or maybe an industry "unspoken rule".
    I did read that with the Stones, Keith and Mic split all songwriting 50/50 and the other members are employees entitled to no songwriting credit, even if they did contribute.

I also read that whoever is in the room, gets on the song. They say that's a real popular thing in Nashville, where you have professional songwriters. If there's 3 guys in the room, they all get songwriting credit.

I've heard the phrase "add a word, get a third" used a bit to describe something that happened in the Eagles, and from reading a bit about the legalities of songwriting, that seems to be true.

There was a made up scenario of a songwriting team sitting down to write, and one of the writers' wives was in the room. They were having a hard time with a line, and she suggested a line. They said that because of that, she was in fact a cowriter on the song.

Very interesting tidbits. (I make no assertion that this is absolutely correct, I'm just passing along what I read from seemingly reliable sources)

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    It's interesting that when it's multiples (3 or more), Henley and Frey's names are separated sometimes, and not always attached to one another and not in the same order.
    Doolin-Dalton (G. Frey-J.D. Souther-D. Henley-J. Browne
    On The Border (Henley/Leadon/Frey)
    James Dean (J. Browne/G. Frey/J.D. Souther/D. Henley)

So who really knows what determines the order. I thought I did, but at the very least, it's not a hard and fast rule.
    I believe Doolin-Dalton and James Dean were started before the Henley-Frey writing team and possibly pre-Eagles and therefore Henley was a late addition.

It really does seem that Henley-Frey was a convention that they agreed upon and doesn't give any indication of who started it. Even the lead vocal isn't a guarantee as it had been said that "Best of My Love" started with Glenn.

I can only think of one Frey-Henley credit and that's "What Do I Do With My Heart" and in that case I take it as an indication that it was primarily Glenn's song. The lyrics and subject are certainly more typical Frey than Henley. Cynically, I wonder if some of the joint credits on LROOE were given because they thought it was important for there to appear to be Henley-Frey songs.