Page 74 of 92 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Jeez, that was a train wreck, except for Tommy’s guitar solo, which was pretty good. I cracked up at one of the comments asking if that was Ace playing drums.

As for Paul’s singing, well it’s the thought that counts.

ETA: I bet the Eagles could do pretty good cover of Beth.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Has the word that Jeff Coffey is joining Don Felder to play bass gotten out yet?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/JeffCoff...=page_internal

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

An interview with Don from last month- “The Dude is ‘entitled to his feelings’ on the Eagles”-

He reveals a little more about his upcoming album.
    For a musician of your stature and caliber, it seems astonishing that you've only released two solo albums, and they're nearly 30 years apart. Do you just wait until you're quite certain you have material you want to release, as opposed to simply putting product out there for consumers to buy?

I think it's both. I have just recently finished another solo project that's been two years in the writing and recording process, and in between touring, when I had a week or ten days off the road, I was in the studio. So, it's more difficult to have enough concise time set aside to write, record, and produce 10, 12, 13 tracks that are high quality.

I won't put out a song on a record that I don't really believe in — that I don't believe is “A” caliber. There are no b-sides on any of my records that I can judge. I've already started writing songs for my next project, even though this hasn't been released. It'll be out somewhere at the end of the first quarter of 2019. Hopefully, it won't be as long between releases again.
    It’s kind of surprising to learn some people were calling out requests for “Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride)” at HFO concerts.
    I find it really wonderful that you play your song from the Heavy Metal soundtrack, 'Heavy Metal (Takin' a Ride)” as a regular part of your sets.

I do. It was funny, because during the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over Tour, there would be at least five or ten people that would yell out, “HEAVY METAL!” and want the Eagles to play that song, although that was never going to happen. That track was originally written for The Long Run record, so that Joe [Walsh] and I would have some real estate to actually play off of each other on. We could trade solos, and there's harmony parts we could've played together.

https://www.thepitchkc.com/arts-ente...days-jccc-show

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    An interview with Don from last month- “The Dude is ‘entitled to his feelings’ on the Eagles”-

Thanks for posting this! Good to hear more.

[
    It’s kind of surprising to learn some people were calling out requests for “Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride)” at HFO concerts.

I find it very surprising. That song was not exactly a hit (it topped out at #43). Perhaps the cult following of the movie has given it additional legs.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

Thanks for this, Delilah!

You’re welcome, Soda and takeiteasy.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I find it very surprising. That song was not exactly a hit (it topped out at #43). Perhaps the cult following of the movie has given it additional legs.
    Yeah, it probably did have to do with the movie and its cult status. I believe it was featured on “South Park” too but of course that was well after the HFO tour.

I’m reposting the link to the Rolling Stone article that originally appeared in the Don’s New Album thread.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...4gjQnXgkkitdgs

This passage towards the end has generated some interest in discussion.

Despite the near two-decades of bitterness, Felder says he’s ready to make peace with Henley and the other surviving members of the Eagles. “I have reached out numerous times to Don and to Glenn [Frey] before he passed,” says Felder. “I sent them through personal channels, legal channels and any other way that I could think of. I just want to give them my best wishes and say that I have no ill feelings towards them at all. There’s no reason to go forward carrying animosity.”

He continues: “I’ve heard it said that the only thing that comes from carrying anger and hate at someone is that it burns the vessel that holds it. That means the only thing that gets hurt by holding onto those feelings of bitterness and hate is yourself. I’ve let all that go. I wish those guys well and I’d play with them again in a heartbeat. But if you would ask Don Henley, I’m certain he’d have a different opinion about what the future would look like involving me.”
    In the other thread, FreyFollower posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    I agree, WF. In saying that HE has "let go of bitterness and hate" and that the guys don't respond when he "reaches out", he is only continuing to spread the belief that they are the bad guys. I think that the guys have responded like in any relationship that ended badly; you shift focus, drop them from your thought process, concentrate on your life without them, and move on. It doesn't mean you hate someone just because they do not work well in your life, especially with a couple of failed attempts to do so. You are only wise to avoid such people. (Especially if they write a tell-all and sue you, lol) Don is an excellent talent and would have better spent these last 20 years expanding his horizons rather than clinging to his rear view mirror. I never understood why he never joined another great band or formed his own. I think that working with these artists is a great idea. I hope that this album does well, and that he continues ahead forging his own path.
    I believe Felder is simply responding to a reporter’s question about whether he’s had contact with the other Eagles. Let’s face it: this question will never completely go away as long as both Dons are alive. Felder can only speak for himself obviously and if he’s gotten no response then he has to be truthful and say he’s gotten no response. For those who don’t follow him and keep up with his social media where he talks about his music, shows, family, etc. the impression they may get is that he is “clinging to his rear view mirror” and not “expanding his horizons” which I believe is a false impression. He has managed to carve out a fairly successful and fulfilling career for himself whereas members of other famous bands have failed going solo. There is more to Felder than his relationship, or lack thereof, with the other Eagles, yet that seems to be the only thing some people care about, or focus on. There was plenty of other stuff in the article, too.

I'm fine with continuing it here. That's fine, I understand wanting to move the discussion. But I do wish to discuss it, so I'll do it here.

Let me just say that I agree with FreyFollower completely. (See FF's post in the Charmed thread or in the quotes in the original post of this thread for reference) The Eagles were completely right to avoid his drama and "woe is me" personality. And they were better for it. I think to them it was either call it quits or get rid of the problem that caused them to break up the first time. I'm in full support of the band firing Felder to make the band survive longer and avoid interpersonal conflict. Glenn did the right thing here. I was on the other side of the equation for a long time before I woke up and smelled the roses so to speak.

If he's "over it", he needs to show it for a change. If the reporter asked the question, he can very easily say "no comment" or tell them there will be no questions like that ahead of time. Felder is a big boy and he can tell the reporters he's not interested in discussing his relationship with Glenn and Don. He always portrays himself as the victim, but really he isn't. There are two sides to every story and I certainly recommend anyone who is basing everything from Felder's book or his perspective to try to look at it from the other perspective. He was a chronic whiner, and was a malcontent. He wasn't happy with how he was paid in HFO. Simply put, Glenn deserved more money than Felder. So did Henley. They were the principal songwriters and the head honchos and the ones who really gave Felder this job in the first place. Instead of taking his pay, which I can only speculate that it was a healthy sum - he had to complain about it. And sure, the first time you complain you are shut down and told why you can't have it your way. But to keep poking the bear, and not expect to get eaten is simply foolish. You mess with the bull, you get the horns. You play with fire, you'll get burnt. Maybe not the first time or the third. But it's just a matter of time before you will pay the price. And if you prove yourself to be a drama queen in a band and someone who brings everybody down, especially the boss, you are going to be fired and rightly so. I have no sympathy in that regard. And I also echo FF's sentiment about wishing Felder had done more to distance himself from the Eagles years. I think he needed the Eagles more than the reverse. Otherwise he'd have been more successful solo. He's still looking to take a sip from the Eagles' cup after all these years. If he was treated as badly as he proclaims, I sure wouldn't want to try to go back or reach out. I'd be avoiding THEM. If you can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen Don.

Felder still isn't over it.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I'll admit, I was surprised to see the ending of the article where Felder talked about "reaching out" and not hearing anything back. My first reaction was, "Still? You're still talking about this?"