Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

[quote=scottside;377822]
    Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    Yay! Finally someone choosing the format I did! Thanks Delilah!

Anyways, my opinions on your versions:

1. Take It Easy- the studio version is one of my least favorites, and that banjo is not really my cup of tea. I guess they completely omitted the banjo because they wanted to show themselves as a rock band.

They omitted the banjo because Bernie couldn't very well play banjo and lead guitar at the same time. Even when Felder joined, Bernie always played lead on this song until he left.
    Oh yeah! What I gave was quite a stupid reason! Sorry Delilah and Scottside. Also, didn't you see my question about your bootlegs from the '70s?
    The chemistry... nuff said

Border Rebel

[quote=cosec3791;377828]
    Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post

Oh yeah! What I gave was quite a stupid reason! Sorry Delilah and Scottside. Also, didn't you see my question about your bootlegs from the '70s?
    Sorry, I missed this from a previous post. I own a number of bootlegs from the 70s, but because the sound quality is so substandard on most, if not all, of them, I find it difficult to analyze performances against the much better recorded studio versions. For that reason, the versions that I might find as good as the original versions are mostly from legitimate live albums where you can hear all the instruments and vocals well. These mostly mono-sounding audience recordings, while maybe historically significant, are not all that enjoyable of a listen for me. I love the version of "Take It Easy" from the LIVE set because it's got more of a kick than the studio version. I also really like the California Jam version because it's got great sound and the four Eagles really rocked it out, even without Felder.

If some of these bootlegs could've had the quality of those that are circulating nowadays, I'd probably be much more inclined to listen to and enjoy them.

[quote=scottside;377837]

Sorry, I missed this from a previous post. I own a number of bootlegs from the 70s, but because the sound quality is so substandard on most, if not all, of them, I find it difficult to analyze performances against the much better recorded studio versions. For that reason, the versions that I might find as good as the original versions are mostly from legitimate live albums where you can hear all the instruments and vocals well. These mostly mono-sounding audience recordings, while maybe historically significant, are not all that enjoyable of a listen for me. I love the version of "Take It Easy" from the LIVE set because it's got more of a kick than the studio version. I also really like the California Jam version because it's got great sound and the four Eagles really rocked it out, even without Felder.

If some of these bootlegs could've had the quality of those that are circulating nowadays, I'd probably be much more inclined to listen to and enjoy them.
    Fine. But what I wanted was a list of your bootlegs.
    The chemistry... nuff said

They omitted the banjo because Bernie couldn't very well play banjo and lead guitar at the same time. Even when Felder joined, Bernie always played lead on this song until he left.
    I wonder when Felder learned to play the banjo. I've thought he could have played it on Take It Easy

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    I wonder when Felder learned to play the banjo. I've thought he could have played it on Take It Easy
    I'm not 100% sure of this, but Felder played it during the 1976 tour on "Midnight Flyer." Bernie was gone by then and Walsh had just joined and took over the slide part and Glenn switched to acoustic. Felder wasn't a virtuoso, but he handled the part well enough. Maybe he had just learned it because there really wasn't much of a need before then.

Stuck on the Border

I'm not 100% sure of this, but Felder played it during the 1976 tour on "Midnight Flyer." Bernie was gone by then and Walsh had just joined and took over the slide part and Glenn switched to acoustic. Felder wasn't a virtuoso, but he handled the part well enough. Maybe he had just learned it because there really wasn't much of a need before then.

I believe I read somewhere that Bernie had taught Felder how to play the banjo. Not sure of this though. I do kinda remember a mention in Fleder's book about having to learn the banjo. Not if this was before or after Bernie left.

Border Troubadour

I got the impression Felder knew how to play Midnight Flyer on banjo, rather than how to play banjo per se, I suspect the same is also true by and large for his bits on the mandolin. That said mind, I wouldn't put it past him to claim it was he who taught Bernie how to play both

Errr, I think you misinterpreted what I said, I said that the HOTE version sucks, and particularly harmonies lol. I actually like Witchy Woman!
    I do not believe I did. You made clear your opinions on it, I merely expressed why I hold the HOTE in higher regard than the original (not that that would take much) in reaction to your rebuke of it, namely that I like the harmonies and dislike the original!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Well he knew pedal steel and I believe mandolin when he toured with David blue and Crosby and Nash. I’m not sure if he also picked up banjo then but I’m sure he would have by the time Bernie left

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I got the impression Felder knew how to play Midnight Flyer on banjo, rather than how to play banjo per se, I suspect the same is also true by and large for his bits on the mandolin. That said mind, I wouldn't put it past him to claim it was he who taught Bernie how to play both

I do not believe I did. You made clear your opinions on it, I merely expressed why I hold the HOTE in higher regard than the original (not that that would take much) in reaction to your rebuke of it, namely that I like the harmonies and dislike the original!
    Well I think for someone like Felder who is such a master on guitar, learning other stringed insturments is a lot easier. He gets the concepts behind it and the way they are played is almost exactly the same as the guitar. So it would just be a matter of learning the differences of some chord shapes and learning what frets play what notes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Well he knew pedal steel and I believe mandolin
    I believe it was lap steel and mandolin. But sorry to derail