Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE ORIGINAL FIFTH EAGLE

Banned

Cool THE ORIGINAL FIFTH EAGLE

No, it wasn't J.D. Souther or Jackson Browne. It was:

Irving Azoff.

Now, I know that there are folks in this forum who strongly dislike Irving. They believe that all he cares about is money, that he sold out the hallowed concept of the band by sending a faux group out on tour after Glenn Frey died, that… well, who knows what else.

But I want to tell you guys something, and that is this: I strongly believe that there would be no Eagles - at least the way we know them today - without Irving Azoff.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Irving, am in no way related to him, and I don't owe him any money. The last time I saw him was about eight years ago.

There are a lot of outrageously talented musicians in L.A. A lot of talented/beautiful/handsome musicians who can sing and write songs and play guitar/drums/etc. in ways that would just make you fall out of your chair.

And about 98% of them are working at Big 5 Sporting Goods, or driving a tour bus someplace in New Mexico. I have known artists who I was SURE would be a household name, a huge star, only to see them fade away into that particularly cruel obscurity that is reserved for those who Almost Made It Big. I was once married to a woman who, if there was any justice, would've been the next Joni Mitchell.

But there isn't any justice - at least not in the entertainment industry. And while the guys who started The Eagles were immensely talented, they likely would not have made it really big without a boost from a true industry insider.

That insider was Irving Azoff. Like his contemporary, David Geffen, Azoff had this uncanny way of knowing, somehow, what was going to work in terms of hit making. Part of it is just that he works so goddamned hard, but there's another, ephemeral something that is impossible to really pin down.

So it's 1971, and here are these four very talented and determined musicians, willing to do whatever it takes to make it. But, really, who knows these guys? Frey was best known for playing guitar guitar and singing behind Bob Seger; Bernie Leadon had a good rep as a folkie and had been in The Flying Burrito Brothers (one of my all-time favorite groups, but one that had limited appeal in the world of pop music). Likewise, Randy Meisner had played bass in Poco, but they'd fallen out of mainstream style by '71. Henley was certainly known around L.A. as a fine drummer and backup singer, but he was far from nationally famous.

I believe that Azoff provided the focus for these guys. He knew everyone there was to know in the business, knew how to promote talent, had an ear for what a song would sound like when recorded properly. More importantly, he knew that if he didn't know something - album cover art or packaging or some other esoteric aspect of the business - he knew who to turn to who did. It was these talents (and the ability to support it all with large infusions of cash from investors who trusted him) that allowed The Eagles to achieve the kind of mega-success that few artists ever reach.

"I really never believed that it would be like this," Frey once told me while we were waiting in an airport somewhere in the Midwest. "I mean, you think about making it, being a success and all that, but… this is like having a dream that you wake up from - a really, REALLY good dream - and you find out that it's real. This is real life…"

Would they have made it without Irving? I don't know - maybe they could've pulled it off without having the consummate insider in their corner, but I have my doubts. The only band I can think of whose career in some ways parallels The Eagles is Fleetwood Mac - and it took them decades (and mass changes in personnel) to have the vast appeal and financial rewards of this crew.

Well, maybe you still hate Irving, but that's your right - just as it's your right to attend (or not) concerts starring the current version of The Eagles. I worked for him during the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, along with his brother, Dan, and he was more than fair in terms of paying me for my efforts. And if he called me tomorrow, I'd work for him again...

Default Re: THE ORIGINAL FIFTH EAGLE

I like that quote from Glenn a lot. I think I agree with you, I think that without Irving their mega success doesn’t happen or at least is much less likely to happen. They would probably end up something like the doobies in terms of sales. I think another thing he was very helpful in building the success was keeping the band together. I’m sure that was a extremely hard task to handle

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Surely Irving didn't *start* his career as an insider though. I got the impression from various books that when Joe Walsh brought him out to California (circa 1973 or so?), Irving had done well in the midwest as a concert promoter but was not at all powerful or connected in L.A.

OT: One of my favorite music industry books is "The Operator" by Tom King, a fascinating, very well-researched biography of David Geffen. Azoff would make a really good subject too.

In the history of Elvis, Sam Phillips who was Elvis's first manager was only a regional manager. There was only so far he could take Elvis in his career and he knew it. He also knew that Elvis was such a tremendous talent that the best thing to do was sell him to Colonel Parker who then took him worldwide!

Does a manager make a difference? Absolutely!! It's a balance though and there is only so much you can do with a pile of crap. Eagles of course were far from that. They were the diamond in the rough that Irving polished and knew how to sell. I'm sure any of the remaining members would agree to that. As Don Henley said "he might be Satan but he's our Satan".

Thanks, appreciate the insight.

Azoff is certainly focused and driven. But even he would surely acknowledge the huge role classic rock radio played in extending the shelf life of the Eagles and so many other acts. Second and no less important --- capitalizing on "Being in the right place at the right time" .... not just a cliche when one is talking about the 60's and early 70's and/or the evolution of the music industry at large.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Surely Irving didn't *start* his career as an insider though. I got the impression from various books that when Joe Walsh brought him out to California (circa 1973 or so?), Irving had done well in the midwest as a concert promoter but was not at all powerful or connected in L.A.
    Indeed. Joe jokes that he and Azoff had to live in his car together when they first came to LA, lol.

I wrote up a little history of the Eagles' relationship with Azoff here: Irving Azoff and the Eagles
    (Note: that page has not been updated since Glenn's death and the link to the Rolling Stone article is now dead.)

Certainly Azoff deserves credit for his efforts on behalf of the Eagles. At the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame Induction, Don Henley said it himself: "I'd like to thank Irving Azoff, without whom we wouldn't be here today." Glenn Frey then added, "Well, we might still be here, but we wouldn't have made as much money."

The reverse is also true. Azoff made his reputation on his successful handling of the Eagles. He went from there to prove himself again and again with other bands and artists, then moved from success in management to success elsewhere, but he built his company Front Line Management on the Eagles (they were the first act his company managed). He became a powerful insider THROUGH what he did for them.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Interesting write-up, Soda. You probably already know this but Randy Ostin was the son of legendary label head Mo Ostin: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/lat...?pid=166698243

Was Edith Azoff Irving's mom?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post

OT: One of my favorite music industry books is "The Operator" by Tom King, a fascinating, very well-researched biography of David Geffen. Azoff would make a really good subject too.
    Ooh, this book sounds great! I am definitly going to look for it at my local library, if they don't have it they are always happy to order. Thanks NMB!

Thanks Soda, I enjoyed your write up very much, very informative!

Peneumbra - thanks for your post and starting this topic.

Just curious -- did you ever meet Judee Sill?
    Last edited by Dawn; 01-23-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I take issue with a manager being listed as the 'fifth' or whatever, member of a band. It adds weight to the theory that they were manufactured, not a 'real' band at all. It adds to the impression that they were (and even more so in their current incarnation are) a money making enterprise rather than a group of musicians. In any case he didn't even become their manager until 1973. I am perfectly willing to acknowledge the huge role he played in their success, but I cannot agree that he should be regarded as the 'fifth' Eagle. Especially now, after he went against his claims that they were done. Sorry.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-23-2018 at 10:25 PM.