Page 16 of 301 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Soda, you make some good points, but the song is 33 years old. It seems a bit late in the day for it to be censored. It would make far more sense for the station not to play it. They appear to have only just discovered that the word is part of the song. Did they censor it in 1977?

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Soda, you make some good points, but the song is 33 years old. It seems a bit late in the day for it to be censored. It would make far more sense for the station not to play it. They appear to have only just discovered that the word is part of the song. Did they censor it in 1977?
    I remember back when the song was being played on the radio constantly that there was a more radio-friendly version that left that part of the song out completely. When I finally heard the album cut, I was a bit surprised.

There were also more radio-friendly versions of the Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner and the Charlie Daniels Band's The Devil Went Down to Georgia.

Same here Soda. I wasn't going to jump in but since you've stated how I feel about it so eloquently as well.....I decided just to pipe up and completely agree with you. I never sing that exact line either....if I do sing some variation it's "haven't seen a doggone thing." Anyway, obviously I don't have a problem with the radio station censoring the lyric either.

I have no problem with censorship either, especially for something as trivial as a cuss word.

I don't believe In censorship. It's a violation of our freedom of speech guaranteed in the constitution. IMO If you don't like cussing, you don't have to listen.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

As I said before, I don't generally like censorship either. However, I have to say that censorship in the sense that we are talking about here is not a violation of our right to freedom of speech. The 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution basically states that the government cannot pass laws that prohibits our exercise of free speech. That doesn't mean that all forms of censorship is illegal.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

True Dreamer. That's a misconception a lot of people have. It even extends to message boards!

I say, if you don't appreciate the fact that the station censors cuss words, express your freedom to change the channel. IMO if you don't like censoring, you don't have to listen.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Censorship is a tough issue. I personally think it is wrong, but then again I believe it can be good. I think an artist should have the right to say whatever they please. This may affect their chances of a record deal but that is a choice that they have to make. As someone mentioned earlier, you can always buy a radio edit or explicit version of most, if not all, songs. Because children listen to the radio, I think it is important to have some sort of filter on the music available to them. Eleven and twelve year olds don't need to hear some of the vulgar things today's pop/hip hop/rap stars have to say. Maybe that is just my opinion though...

Do I like that they censored LITFL? No. Do I have a problem with it? Not really.

I heard LITFL the other day and it wasn't censored. Are they just doing this in certain states?

Censorship used to leave a bad taste in my mouth. But since I've had kids and see just how young they pick up stuff not so good for them, I'm glad it's there when it comes to the kids. I didn't start picking things up til I was 8-10yrs old, but my kids picked it up at 6-8yrs.

They can issue a censored version of any cd but if the kids are listening to the radio then they need to have that safety to listen without being affected in a negative fashion.

Border Desperado

Hey Fan_For_Life did you happen to hear it on Jacksonville's The Eagle? I heard it on there the other day and it wasn't censored. I think the radio stations are censoring at their own discretion. I've heard it both ways, so who knows...