Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Eagles" LP!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "Eagles" LP!

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I thought Most Of Us Are Sad was great, the first time I heard it but I quickly got irreversibly tired of it, however as it was the song that turned Glynn Johns onto the Eagles, I think it had a strong case for being included in the History Of The Eagles set list.

Never really liked any of the tracks on the first Eagles LP, Witchy Woman was my favourite off the radio and Trying got more interesting after I heard the longer live version.

I think Take It Easy is an enjoyable track but rather over rated. I'm kinda glad that Don mentions that Witchy Woman was the more successful single.

As Don developed and blossomed as a lead vocalist, Take It Easy seemed to become Glenn's up-tempo, go to, Eagles song. It does have a wonderful uplifting intro though, that is just about maintained throughout the song
    They both developed as lead vocalists. It's just that unfortunately Don eventually sang more songs than Glenn did. I will maintain to my last breath that this policy was wrong. I will also repeat that the few songs Glenn did sing on the later albums are the best songs in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean about TIE being his uptempo song, presumably in concert. He also has AG & HT. In my view the biggest mistake they made when they dropped all the LROOE songs was Somebody - it could have become a real crowd pleaser if they had shown some patience, and Glenn wouldn't just be singing ballads for virtually the whole show.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

A few days too late but happy 43 birthday to the Eagles debut album!

Overall I have to say I think it's a very good album. Beyond the obvious three hits, all of which deserve the acclaim they get, I am a big fan of Take The Devil, which I consider to be perhaps their most underrated song. I absolutely love the lonesome desert vibe from this song, and Randy's terrific lead vocals and Glenn's powerful lead guitar make this one of my favourites. I also rate TLHTM very highly, it's one of the best songs I've heard about divorce.

One other thing I really like about this album is how the second side of the LP really highlights Bernie and Randy's talents, with them writing and handling the lead vocals on all of the songs bar PEF as well as shining instrumentally.

My ranking of the songs would be as follows:
    1. Take it Easy - 5. The album's best song and one of the top ten Eagles songs overall IMO. It doesn't seem to matter how they perform it, I always love it, but the original's arrangement and youthful energy are perfect. The introduction is also terrific. I can only imagine how it sounded when the LP was first placed on a turntable back in 1972.
    2. Witchy Woman - 5. Only narrowly edged out by TIE, I love the guitar riff and solo. Don's lyrical ability was apparent from this early stage where his descriptive lyrics shine.
    3. Take The Devil - 5. My rating may surprise some but it is definitely one of my favourites. I just love everything about it.
    4. Peaceful Easy Feeling - 4.5. The third single from the album, and another classic song. Bernie's solo is his finest Eagles guitar work IMO. I really like the bittersweet tone that lies just beneath the seemingly content surface.
    5. Train Leaves Here This Morning - 4.5. A timeless country rock classic, and Bernie at his best with his vocals and guitar.
    6. Most Of Us Are Sad - 4. I think this has a lot of charm. The vocals are excellent but I also really like the lead guitar. I can't agree with F50 in being tired of it (although I liked your turn of phrase 'irreversibly tired' - I can certainly think of songs I feel this way about).
    7. Earlybird - 4. I actually really like this song, it's uplifting, the vocals are great (I really like the blend of Randy and Bernie's voices) while I like the slide guitar a lot. I have to admit the notorious chirping birds actually make me laugh so that aspect doesn't bother me.
    8. Tryin' - 3.5. A decent rocker, I really like the ending with the vocals and the guitar combining. I am also fond of the middle guitar solo which kind of reminds me of Neil Young. The longer live versions are better.
    9. Chug All Night - 3.5. Not exactly a lyrical masterpiece but as a fun rock and roll song it is pretty enjoyable. Glenn's vocals shine towards the end and the guitar riff is enjoyable.
    10. Nightingale - 3. I don't know why but this one has never quite clicked with me. I like it but won't go out of my way to listen to it. The vocals, lyrics and music are all pretty good but I just think there are other songs which are better in these aspects.

I put this album on in my mum's car this week and really enjoyed listening to it but was also interested to see what she made of it, I didn't ask her opinion of it per se but she did make a few comments (mostly positive).

Beyond the big three hits, she is very fond of MOUAS and repeated this after it finished. She also seemed to quite like TLHTM and said that it was more country than she was used to from the Eagles (I think she is mostly familiar with OOTN and HC plus the songs from GH Vol 1). Conversely I noticed she turned the volume down during Chug All Night and during the infamous intro to Earlybird she said 'this is weird' (although I think she likes the song okay).

Released 44 years ago... their first album. It's underrated, I think. It contained the single which "started it all" and classics like PEF and Witchy Woman. Not too shabby.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Happy 44th anniversary to the Eagles debut album!

It's my least favorite album, but it's still a great album!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Happy 44th Anniversary to the Eagles LP!

I really, really like this album! Even though I think the Eagles surpassed it with several of their later albums (not least the one that immediately followed), I think it is immensely enjoyable to listen to and has stood the test of time very well. Obviously I wasn't able to listen to it in 1972 like some Borderers, but in 2016 it still sounds fresh and infused with character. Like most other people I love the three hits, all of which I feel stand amongst the best songs of their careers. My top favourite would have to be Take It Easy - I love all of the live versions over the years (I even enjoyed KISS's flawed yet heartfelt take on the song!) although the studio version still takes some beating. However, I am also a huge fan of the brooding and in my opinion greatly underrated Take The Devil (I love Randy's vocal, Glenn's guitar, the atmosphere of the piece - the whole thing, really) and of Train Leaves Here This Morning. I enjoy virtually everything else too - throughout the album the harmonies are top notch and the instrumental work is highly memorable.

Ah.....the first record.

Not a favorite, but I like it better than Desperado, Desperado being my least favorite Eagles record.

That said, everything has to start somewhere.

My top three tracks should come as no surprise as a hits guy - Take It Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling, and Witchy Woman.

That said I heard Nightingale recently and its grown on me. Love Linda's version. And I love doing a rock version of TLHTM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'll never forget listening to this album when it came out. LOVE!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Happy 45th Birthday to the guys very first album, Eagles!!

Its not my favorite, but their are some good songs on there.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Happy 45th Birthday, Eagles!

This is an impressive debut that established the Eagles sound. I like all the songs, some more than others. "Nightingale" is probably my least favorite. Of course the 3 big hits are great, but of the deep cuts, I love "Take the Devil" - it's so atmospheric with an expressive lead vocal and guitar solo; it is sung and played with a lot of meaning.

I really like "Tryin" too but the live versions I've heard absolutely rock. It was an important part of their setlist as late as 1974. The band apparently relied on this song to show their rock cred pre-Joe Walsh, so it's also an important part of their musical history. It's unfortunate that it's pretty much forgotten. Had Randy been able to join the HOTE tour, they might have revived this song and reminded fans that this band could indeed rock before OOTN or HC.

I've posted this video before somewhere (in a topic about Glenn giving away his solos); here again is "Tryin" with the added element of Don Felder. I think Glenn plays the 1st solo. At the end Glenn mentions the Allman Brothers.
    [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vAhG0sX8DDM[/ame]

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

There's conflicting information about when this album came out.The source I use has it as a couple weeks from now, but I know some sources have it as today. I say, you can never celebrate this album too much!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten