Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Movies

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Just saw Life of Pi. It's visually stunning and the CGI/real life blending is so seamless I had no clue when they switched out the real tiger for the CGI tiger. That's impressive, as in every other movie I've seen the CGI insertions are quite obvious. There are "set piece" moments of the film, especially the panoramic underwater-world scenes, that are magnificent to behold.

I appreciated the technical skill and the sophisticated allegory of the film. I'd classify it as a "magical realism" journey for spiritual meaning as symbolized in the struggle for survival aboard a lifeboat. It's very remarkable that such a non-traditional film without any major stars got such a huge budget - I guess we can thank famed director Ang Lee's involvement for that. He doesn't disappoint.

However, I can't say I enjoyed it. 90 minutes of the movie consist solely of the lead actor and the tiger fighting to keep alive in a lifeboat adrift for 227 days, and for me at least, it went on too long. I found myself thinking as they faced challenge after challenge in the boat (hunger, thirst, storms, sharks, loneliness, depression, etc), defeated each, and then returned to contemplating life: "Geez, I sure hope they get rescued soon. This is getting old."

WARNING FOR THOSE WITH SMALL KIDS: this isn't a Disney film with the zebras, monkeys, tigers, and hyenas are all friends with each other. The merciless predatory instinct is on full display. I saw a few mothers leave with crying children before the film was out.
    I had to laugh at the part I bolded, Soda. If you thought it was long, imagine how that young actor must have felt.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Sounds like an interesting movie with a different slant Soda, but thanks for the warning about the kids. My 8 year old boy would be very sensitive about seeing one animal even snarl at another.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I'd like to see Lincoln...anyone seen it yet?

No, but we saw Flight, starring Denzel Washington a couple of weeks ago and it was really good. Denzel did not disappoint! His acting is superb and the storyline is intriguing.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

We saw Lincoln. It was great! About 2 1/2 hours, but the time flew. You really believed it was Lincoln up there!

Quote Originally Posted by SallyGee View Post
    We saw Lincoln. It was great! About 2 1/2 hours, but the time flew. You really believed it was Lincoln up there!
    OK SG...now I have to go see it....('cause I know you have great taste.lol)

Just got around to seeing Les Miserables...... Wow. I was blown away. I cried but the end is so uplifting..... It's absolutely beautiful. Plus, the acting is excellent. I hope these people get some Oscars!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Just got around to seeing Les Miserables...... Wow. I was blown away. I cried but the end is so uplifting..... It's absolutely beautiful. Plus, the acting is excellent. I hope these people get some Oscars!
    wasn't it amazing?!...I cried and cried...so glad I had tissues in my purse!

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

ok saw the denzel movie it was great .
    now has anyone seen silver linings play book or the new mark wahlberg movie broken city
    my friend and i are trying to decide,,

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post
    ok saw the denzel movie it was great .
    now has anyone seen silver linings play book or the new mark wahlberg movie broken city
    my friend and i are trying to decide,,
    I heard Silver Linings is very good. My friend saw it. I think I will be seeing that soon!