Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies

Default Re: Movies

I'm VERY much looking forward to the last Harry Potter film. I just went out and bought Part 1 on DVD today and watched it. I love that movie. To be honest it's been years since I've read all of the books. I'm hoping to go to the movie opening night if we can get a ticket. I really love the HP movies.

Has anyone seen the new film trailer that was just released for the new movie? It looks like this will be the scariest one yet, for sure. Also looks to have the best special effects of them all.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYt1qirBWg[/ame]
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Looks very good Austin. Can't wait here. Roll on July 15th.
    Melanie

Quote Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
    Looks very good Austin. Can't wait here. Roll on July 15th.
    That latest movie trailer has me really looking forward to it! I really wish it'd hurry up and get here, LOL.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I mentioned Hot Fuzz elsewhere; we watched Simon Pegg & Nick Frost's latest film Paul last night. Big budget, filmed in America, aliens. It isn't for everyone. I don't want this pair to have to sacrifice their essentially British humour to become big Hollywood stars. I enjoyed it though.

I haven't seen Paul yet, but I agree with you FP - it would be a shame if they became too Hollywood-ized! I love their films. Simon Pegg is very funny. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I just saw the new movie Immortals starring Henry Cavill and Mickey Rourke.

I'll be real - my friend Cicely and I went for one reason and one reason alone, to see the eye candy that is Henry Cavill.

However, he is wasted in this role. He does nothing but kill and mope, mope and kill. I hate gory movies and this one seems to be competing with 300 (put out by the same people) as to how many slow-motion, CGI-enhanced bloodbaths they can include. And the torture scenes are horrific! I hate that kind of crap. Yes, it's just a movie, but do I really need to see a man's face sliced in half and have his brains, skull fragments, and eyeballs fly toward me in 3D? Hells to the NO!

In other words, I don't recommend it. lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I guess you don't Soda! Keep away from Spartacus so (the TV series)
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Just saw Life of Pi. It's visually stunning and the CGI/real life blending is so seamless I had no clue when they switched out the real tiger for the CGI tiger. That's impressive, as in every other movie I've seen the CGI insertions are quite obvious. There are "set piece" moments of the film, especially the panoramic underwater-world scenes, that are magnificent to behold.

I appreciated the technical skill and the sophisticated allegory of the film. I'd classify it as a "magical realism" journey for spiritual meaning as symbolized in the struggle for survival aboard a lifeboat. It's very remarkable that such a non-traditional film without any major stars got such a huge budget - I guess we can thank famed director Ang Lee's involvement for that. He doesn't disappoint.

However, I can't say I enjoyed it. 90 minutes of the movie consist solely of the lead actor and the tiger fighting to keep alive in a lifeboat adrift for 227 days, and for me at least, it went on too long. I found myself thinking as they faced challenge after challenge in the boat (hunger, thirst, storms, sharks, loneliness, depression, etc), defeated each, and then returned to contemplating life: "Geez, I sure hope they get rescued soon. This is getting old."

WARNING FOR THOSE WITH SMALL KIDS: this isn't a Disney film where the zebras, monkeys, tigers, and hyenas are all friends with each other. The merciless predatory instinct is on full display. I saw a few mothers leave with crying children before the film was out.

I read that the young guy who plays the lead role in Life of Pi had no acting experience. There was an open casting call for the role & he got it!
    He said he had to learn everything before the filming. He was not an outdoorsy kid! How did he do in the role?

He did wonderfully in his role - completely believable. You really felt for the kid as he is dealt blow after blow by Mother Nature and all he clings to for comfort is stripped away except his spirituality and the tiger. He has very expressive eyes. I'm amazed that it was his first role.