Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: On the Border

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: On the Border

I adore Midnight Flyer! I love its vibrancy and vitality, I love the tight harmonies, I love the instrumentation, I even love the imitation of the whistle. It's a great song. I hope it hangs around.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It pains me, considering the name of the board, but I cast my vote for On the Border.

I like a lot of things about it, such as the groovy "On the Border" back-and-forth towards the end, but I don't think is melody its as strong as the other songs on the album. Plus, the line "foolin' with my baby on the telephone" - what does that even mean? Is that 70s slang for talking dirty on the telephone or does it mean they're just wasting time or joking around or what? Something that has always bugged me, lol.

I always thought 'foolin' with my baby' just meant joking around, laughing with each other, but like you I don't like the line & the song has aged very badly indeed. I do like Glenn's 'and we wanna know' part, to nobody's surprise.

But regarding the 'whoo whoo' in Midnight Flyer I find it corny. I can see why others like the song, but I don't care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I always thought 'foolin' with my baby' just meant joking around, laughing with each other, but like you I don't like the line & the song has aged very badly indeed. I do like Glenn's 'and we wanna know' part, to nobody's surprise.

But regarding the 'whoo whoo' in Midnight Flyer I find it corny. I can see why others like the song, but I don't care for it.
    Glenn’s line is definitely the best out of the bridge. I wish somehow
    He could have had a more prominent part on the song vocally

Quote Originally Posted by Claret View Post
    I also find it a little bit strange that many people consider Midnight Flyer weaker than some other songs from the album, but of course I respect everyone's opinion. Later live versions were decent as well and Felder did a great job replacing Bernie on banjo.

NKIT - you're right, MF was a part of the setlist until 1976. They played in both Seattle and Houston (Seattle version is uploaded on youtube) and I've also heard some other versions from various bootlegs. I think they stopped doing MF, Doolin-Dalton and Outlaw Man at the same time (end of 76/beginning of 77).
    While you are right about Outlaw Man being stopped in 1976, not so much for Midnight Flyer and Doolin Dalton. Midnight Flyer was perfomed in 77 shows like Madison Square Garden. And Doolin Dalton was performed quite a lot of times after 1976. The times they performed this which I listened to are: 1) 1977 Frankfurt 2) 1977 London 3) 1978 Chicago 4) 1979 Budokan (all nights) 5) 1979 Osaka 6) 1979 Boston Garden and 7) 1979 Chicago. I noticed Doolin Dalton was popular among setlists of foreign concerts.

I am disappointed that Outlaw Man was stopped in 1976. Really liked it, though I feel the studio version pales compared to Felder's version.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm sorry to see YNCLAL go, but something has to.

I vote for Midnight Flyer, again. Just have never really cared for the song and agree the whistle is corny.

I like it less than the others that are in danger here.

Going back, I miss Don's younger, smokier voice too.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I remember how great Midnight Flyer was performed at Cal Jam in'74. Glenn on slide guitar and Bernie playing banjo beautifully, Don on drums, Jackson Browne playing acoustic (i think) and of course Randy singing lead just perfect. I just have to rate it as my least favorite on the album but it's still a great song in concert.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    While you are right about Outlaw Man being stopped in 1976, not so much for Midnight Flyer and Doolin Dalton. Midnight Flyer was perfomed in 77 shows like Madison Square Garden. And Doolin Dalton was performed quite a lot of times after 1976. The times they performed this which I listened to are: 1) 1977 Frankfurt 2) 1977 London 3) 1978 Chicago 4) 1979 Budokan (all nights) 5) 1979 Osaka 6) 1979 Boston Garden and 7) 1979 Chicago. I noticed Doolin Dalton was popular among setlists of foreign concerts.

I am disappointed that Outlaw Man was stopped in 1976. Really liked it, though I feel the studio version pales compared to Felder's version.
    Thanks for the correction. I've listened to some of the concerts you've mentioned but as you can see I've completely forgot the setlists.

Midnight Flyer

I'm voting again for Midnight Flyer. I don't like the bluegrassish vibe of the song and it was never my favorite on the album.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I'm late to the show here, and hate to see YNCLAL to go in the first round, I really like that one.

My vote is On The Border.