Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: New Glenn Compilation

Default Re: New Glenn Compilation

That's disappointing about Amazon, I have a Prime acct as well but haven't ordered yet - something came up the day I planned to then I forgot. Hope those who pre ordered get theirs soon!

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    It's arrived. Everyone knows what to expect from the CDs and DVD, so I'll add that the package also includes a 20 page booklet with a write-up of Glenn's career written by someone called Ian McCann and a lot of photos from around 1992 (some alternates from the Strange Weather album cover shoot).
    Thanks UTW, the booklet sounds neat -- glad your set arrived!

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

This is barely worth the effort. Apparently the version of Route 66 is 'pointless' and Smuggler's Blues is about the drug trade 'from one of its best paying customers'. There is the inevitalbe putdown in comparison with Henley's work, and underneath it is a link to HENLEY's Boys Of Summer. Go figure.

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/...lection-review

Surely Glenn deserves better than this? He was a very talented man, and yet it appears that all that can be done is compare him unfavourably with Henley. I don't get it.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-13-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    This is barely worth the effort. Apparently the version of Route 66 is 'pointless' and Smuggler's Blues is about the drug trade 'from one of its best paying customers'. There is the inevitalbe putdown in comparison with Henley's work, and underneath it is a link to HENLEY's Boys Of Summer. Go figure.

Surely Glenn deserves better than this? He was a very talented man, and yet it appears that all that can be done is compare him unfavourably with Henley. I don't get it.
    Pretentious much? (The reviewer, not you, FP.)

Stuck on the Border

Pointless rather than pretentious. It's ok not to like something or to prefer something else, but there's nothing in that review to show he even listened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

I agree. The reviewer in his limited space to describe the project to potential buyers, chooses instead to compare the works to someone who had nothing to do with it, and link a video of his, instead of a video of Glenn's which would remind readers of the great songs in THIS collection. You know, the album he is supposed to be discussing?
    The critic obviously didn't know that the context of Route 66 was a standards album. But a fun cover, even if he didn't know that.

Rather than describing Smuggler's Blues musically, he chooses to take a dig at Glenn personally.
    IMO, reviews should be written by objective persons, not someone who had already made up their mind to dislike it. And agreeing also with UTW, he probably didn't even listen to it. Rant over.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Well the reviewer did say “The best of it comes on the first disc, with the hits he had as a solo artist” as well as “The second disc has lesser-known solo tracks, some good and some bad” which would seem to indicate he did listen to them. It’s possible though, he could have just scanned over the listed track titles and said the same thing. I do think it’s a pretty lame review., esp. mentioning Henley in 3 out of 4 paragraphs.

Could someone verify these are CDs and not CD-Rs?

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Could someone verify these are CDs and not CD-Rs?
    I have my copy right here. What am I looking for to determine the difference?

I read the review too - how sad that Glenn's work can't be evaluated on its own merit, without comparing it to Henley's.

For those of us who haven't been able to get this yet, would someone be able to share some pictures from the booklet?

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    I have my copy right here. What am I looking for to determine the difference?
    CD-Rs will generally have a green or bluish color on the playing side and a generic batch number on the hub, not a catalog number. Another clue is the lack of the company logo or manufacturer.

I doubt this set has CD-Rs but it has happened before with Universal.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...