Page 90 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I think Deacon is a very talented kid with a bright future. I do not think he sounds like Glenn. His voice appears to be deeper than Glenn's was.
    He has a nice voice but I do not think he sings better than Glenn. Deacon should not be compared to Glenn because he is not Glenn. As Groupie said, people should not expect Deacon to be a second Glenn. He should be his own person. I think he is under tremendous pressure every time he steps on stage as he has large shoes to fill.

I have always loved Broadway musicals and I think it would be cool to have an Eagles musical on Broadway. How it will be done I have no idea. But if they can do Abba and Beautiful then hopefully they can come up with a great idea.
    Yes, I really believe Glenn would have had some great ideas he was doing a lot of research checking out the musicals on Broadway and was reportedly collaborating with his good friend Robert Wuhl.

As for Deacon, I agree 100%
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-10-2018 at 11:11 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Personally, I would rather see a musical based on Glenn's life, from his early Teen King days in Detroit to the last HOTE concert. There is enough in Glenn's own life to draw upon.

But who would play Glenn?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Personally, I would rather see a musical based on Glenn's life, from his early Teen King days in Detroit to the last HOTE concert. There is enough in Glenn's own life to draw upon.
    I'm afraid that given the somewhat muted reaction to his death & the fact that his former band decided it was OK to continue, as well as the fact that there has been no tribute to him, I have to say that I don't think he was well known enough for such a project. I know Dreamer disagrees with me on how well known he was; but that's talking about rock music fans. I don't beieve there would be a market for it.

As for the musical, I believe that Henley made a couple of noises about it just after Glenn died. Since then.... it has probaby been dropped. We don't want anything raining on the parade, now do we?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

In my opinion, Broadway musicals are successful not primarily because of the subject matter, but because they are exceptional productions. For example, who would have thought there would be any interest in a Broadway musical about Alexander Hamilton?

So, while I wouldn't expect to see a Broadway production made of Glenn's life, I don't believe it has anything to do with his level of fame. But, I just think the Eagles story has greater appeal than any of the members individually - much more glamor and drama collectively.

And, yeah, at this point, I would be extremely shocked if Henley makes good on seeing the Broadway show to fruition.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

A jukebox musical is a musical film or stage presentation featuring the songs of popular music acts. The term was originally (and is still) used to describe films starring famous popular music acts showcasing their own recorded songs, not necessarily as part of a traditional musical score (though they are sometimes augmented with scored background music). Use of the term has also grown to encompass musical films and theatrical presentations that celebrate past or present music acts or personalities, usually played by professional actors singing new renditions of the real artists' previously-recorded songs and other material, done in a manner more akin to a typical Broadway musical, where songs are incorporated into a formal musical score and accompanied by choreography. The songs in jukebox musicals (of both kinds) are often contextualized into a dramatic plot, and particularly in the case of the later kind, a biographical story about the featured performer(s). In some instances plots do not revolve around the musical act(s) making appearances.

Some Examples

Beautiful, The Carole King Musical
    Escape To Margaritaville (Music of Jimmy Buffet)
    Mamma Mia ( Based on songs of Abba)
    Jersey Boys (Based on the music of the Four Seasons)
    Part of the Plan (Dan Fogelberg)
    On Your Feet! (Gloria Esteban)

Many more artists and groups such as Rod Stewart, Tina Turner, Motown, Queen, The Kinks,

Read history of jukebox musicals and see full list here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jukebox_musical

Note: Irving Azoff manager of the late Dan Fogelberg and Jimmy Buffet.
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-12-2018 at 02:20 AM.

A musical based on the songs of Hotel California would make sense but I also believe there is real potential in the biographical story and music of Glenn Frey. He was after all the man with the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I'm afraid that given the somewhat muted reaction to his death & the fact that his former band decided it was OK to continue, as well as the fact that there has been no tribute to him, I have to say that I don't think he was well known enough for such a project. I know Dreamer disagrees with me on how well known he was; but that's talking about rock music fans. I don't beieve there would be a market for it.

As for the musical, I believe that Henley made a couple of noises about it just after Glenn died. Since then.... it has probaby been dropped. We don't want anything raining on the parade, now do we?
    I think Glenn held himself back in terms of the Eagles. He could/should have done more lead songs but the ones he did do are legendary. Peaceful Easy Feeling being one of those. I think a musical based around his life story would do very well. Peaceful Easy Feeling. The Music of Glenn Frey and the Eagles. There are many people who could make that happen don't need Henley.

I just read the most heinous review I've read yet...with the headline "Don't think the Eagles are the Eagles without Glenn Frey? Think again." This writer went on to say that if people who think it's not the Eagles without him should "get over themselves" and another reviewer referenced in the article had the gall to say that they were "even better" without him.

I know I should stop reading these things, but it popped up and I read it anyway....good grief, what did Glenn ever do to these people?? I can understand if people go to these shows and enjoy them, even if I don't agree, but to go on to say they are better without him...I just don't understand that. It is insulting and disrespectful to his memory.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/ent...208663999.html

Stuck on the Border

Whenever a reviewer points to a whole group of people (in this case people who don't like the band without Glenn) and suggests they have a problem with themselvess, he's making a total jerk of himself (unless done as a little joke). By all means say that the band is fine, just don't write bizarre crap about people who don't agree.

EDIT:

I don't have a problem with people who enjoy the current band. WHY do they insist on having a problem with me??? It's not like I'm following the band around, handing "No Glenn, no Eagles" leaflets at concerts.
    Last edited by chaim; 04-12-2018 at 01:02 PM.