Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: California Jam 1974

Default Re: California Jam 1974

Sorry, Willie, I didn't mean to overgeneralize. But you have to admit... when you looked around you at OzzFest... I daresay most of the Marilyn Manson fans didn't look like you! I think it's fair to say the vast majority of attendees were metalheads. Were they all longhaired drug addicts? No, but I never equated the two. I imagine most of the guys don't have long hair, in fact, as that's not really fashionable nowadays for the metal crowd.

To illustrate my point, just found this on YouTube:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHZbX9KQjHc[/ame]

Personally, I have nothing against metalheads, and if you like Black Sabbath, more power to ya. You're certainly not alone. Although I find Marilyn Manson absolutely repulsive and think he is a person who relies on shocking gimmicks to sell albums and tickets rather than talent, I realize that not everyone agrees. To me, he is the antithesis of what I love about music, but different strokes for different folks.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Sorry, Willie, I didn't mean to overgeneralize. But you have to admit... when you looked around you at OzzFest... I daresay most of the Marilyn Manson fans didn't look like you!
    No need to be sorry! We all have our opinions. You're right --they didn't look like me--lucky for them or their friends would of laughed at them! Actually there is such a variety from young to old, long hair and short hair, leather clad to your average dress. Really cool how it varies.

My point was that back when Black Sabbath was popular, metal heads were supposedly long haired, drugged out hippy freaks so to speak. Not anymore of course. You know me, would you have ever pictured me at OzzFest or a Marilyn Manson concert? Probably not!

Although I find Marilyn Manson absolutely repulsive and think he is a person who relies on shocking gimmicks to sell albums and tickets rather than talent, I realize that not everyone agrees. To me, he is the antithesis of what I love about music, but different strokes for different folks.
    I didn't say I liked him, I said I was awestruck and I was indeed. I find him to be like a car wreck~ something I don't want to see but can't seem to look away from! And your above statement is EXACTLY why I stated that he is one of the smartest people in rock n roll. The man has made millions from being shocking and the terror every parent wants their kids to stay away from despite the fact he has very little talent, if any, musically. I do like a couple of his songs but that's as far as it goes. I read his autobiography and he is weird--no doubt about it, but he also knows that it's all a gimmick and is actually a very articulate young man!

Now that I have completely strayed away from this original topic--back to it ----

I would of gave anything to have been there and seen ALL of the artist, but most especially one group in general!!! Oh My they looked good in those YouTube clips you posted!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I enjoy those kinds of concerts where you get to see a bit of different kinds of music. I was at the original Farm Aid back in 1985 and (what I can remember of it) I loved it. Everything from Willie Nelson to John Mellencamp to Neil Young to Loretta Lynn to B.B. King!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

The videos are awesome. Thanks for sharing those Soda. And yes they are adorable.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I think maybe folks over 30 would get Smoke on the Water for Deep Purple, but would be hard-pressed to name another song. As for Black Sabbath, unfortunately the younger set know them more as the band from whence came Ozzy Osbourne, brain-addled star of reality TV - not for their music.
    For the sake of argument, let's just that I am several years beyond 30. However, I can't rattle off anything of the top of my head by Deep Purple other than Smoke on the Water either. I am familiar with both bands, but really wasn't into either of their music. I don't know if that is true for the majority of people my age or not, but I do think it is safe to say that the Eagles ended up being the "cream of the crop" out of the bunch that appeared at California Jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Regarding Deep Purple I suppose that being Australian I had more exposure to British bands. You will have to take it from me that for a brief period they became almost as big as Led Zeppelin, hence their topping the bill at California Jam.
    FP, this may have been true in Australia. However, unless my memory is failing me, I don't ever recall Deep Purple being as big as Zeppelin in the U.S. - not even for a brief moment.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I did say 'almost'.

Because I am married to an Englishman I might occasionally have a slightly different perspective on which bands were big in the 70s and where. In Britain and Australia, Deep Purple were huge, and so were ELP. It is absolutely true that the Eagles turned out to be the biggest band here, and I am proud of it. I assumed that because Deep Purple topped the bill at California Jam, that a large number of people were there to see them, even with their new singer.

If I can explain this another way, when some of you occasionally talk about band who were huge in the States like Journey and Styx, I shake my head because I can't relate. These bands had virtually no sucess either in Australia, or in Britain (which is obviously a much bigger market). The effect of punk and New Wave in Britain was significant.

Border Troubadour

Sorry for the bump, but I've been watching the videos of the Eagles at this concert (exactly 21 years before I was born ) on YT, but I've found a set list hard to come by. Are the only songs they performed Already Gone, James Dean, Midnight Flyer and Take It Easy, or was there anything else? Also, I note a certain Mr. J. Browne with them and not a Mr D. Felder - I presume the latter was otherwise engaged?

(Oh, and for the record, Deep Purple are epic Black Sabbath would be too, but I can't abide Ozzy Osbourne (or his horrid wife for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Sorry for the bump, but I've been watching the videos of the Eagles at this concert (exactly 21 years before I was born ) on YT, but I've found a set list hard to come by. Are the only songs they performed Already Gone, James Dean, Midnight Flyer and Take It Easy, or was there anything else? Also, I note a certain Mr. J. Browne with them and not a Mr D. Felder - I presume the latter was otherwise engaged?

(Oh, and for the record, Deep Purple are epic Black Sabbath would be too, but I can't abide Ozzy Osbourne (or his horrid wife for that matter).
    That was the extent of the performance, 4 songs. Don Felder was with his wife who was giving birth to their first child. They had arranged that Jackson would fill in if the baby didn't arrive in time for Don to make it to the show.

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I know some of the bands (that were in the California Jam) and love the ones I know!!!! LOL Earth, Wind, and Fire, Deep Purple, The Eagles (and never really liked Ozzy, but know Black Sabbath). The Eagles were brilliant in there!!!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

40 years ago today, folks!

here's a fun little time capsule - a commercial for the show (Eagles only on it for about 2 seconds, but it's still cool to watch for nostalgia value).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5dHVpD4jVQ[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten