Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: London Olympics

Default London Olympics

Anyone excited that the Olympics are starting?...I am...although I like the winter games better...these athletes are amazing to watch...wish them all the best...I'll surely be watching!

Default Re: London Olympics

Looking forward to the Opening Ceremonies tonight and all of the 'surprises' the Today Show crew have mentioned. Will especially follow gymnastics, esquestrian events and swimming but will most likely watch much more than that as time allows.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

I'm looking forward to seeing Sir Paul performing tonight!
    I also like the diving & the gymnastic competitions Some of the events are boring to me, but I am very interested to see how Ryan Seacrest handles the hosting job. I think he will be fantastic. I do think NBC is trying him out for a spot on the NBC morning show. I'm not so sure that Ryan wants to move to NY though, but I'm sure he will be fun to watch!

Looking forward to see the Opening Ceremonies tonight, I 'm a huge Fan from the Olympia games, I see virtually every sport except synchronized swimming, artistic gymnastics,boxing, rhythmic gymnastics or wrestling, I do not like these sports so much.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I will be watching anything with Michael Phelps in it if possible. I hope he gets at least 3 medals to make him the most decorated olympian. I think he's got a good contender in Ryan Lochte for some of his races.

The rest of it will be haphazard watching, whenever.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I just watched the opening ceremony & the majority of it was awesome - a real celebration of British eccentricity & genius. I could have done without my husband asking was there any mention of Isambard Kingdom Brunel & when I said he was played by Sir Ken Branagh reciting Shakespeare 'why don't they celebrate achievement instead of someone who wrote something'. I thought this was grossly unfair, given that it turned out to be the only mention of Shakespeare in the show. I loved the LSO with Sir Simon Rattle & Rowan Atkinson. I was less impressed during the parade of nations when the camera kept cutting to the Australians. Yes, I GOT IT. I knew they were there. I didn't have to keep looking at them over & over again. It was good seeing Usain Bolt & Novak Djokovic as flag bearers though. I also thought Sir Steven Redgrave should have lit the flame rathat than passed it to the young hopefuls. They should have all done it together.

As for Sir Paul there was a sound glitch in the first verse of Hey Jude but it had me in tears (but so did Jerusalem, Bread of Heaven, etc).

Coverage of the Olympics here is so parochial, so obsessed with the Australians, that it will as always be difficult to watch & it will mostly be in the middle of the night for me but I will do my best.

Border Desperado Midnight_Flyer's Avatar

i thought the opening ceremony of the olympics was fantastic, and at times emotional, i love how it depicted different eras of british life and Danny Boyle did an amazing job putting it all together

I give the opening ceremonies a ! Watching with my hubby -- who is from the UK -- was a little bittersweet because his two older boys are still there (living with their Mum) and we realy miss having them around. But we both thought it was an outstanding tribute to the people of Great Britain. And we both laughed until we cried when the Bond skit played!!! The Queen really does have a terrific sense of humor -- something that is seldom put on display. Just wish Sir Paul had been able to do another song or two. But over all we gave it a "10".
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Stuck on the Border

If you are interested look at the difference in the coverage of the men's 4x100 relay in which Australia was expected by Australia to win gold. Australia came fourth.

Australia's ABC: 'Aussies Bomb'.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-3...-upset/4162736

Britain's Guardian: 'France Upset USA'!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...reestyle-relay

The behaviour of Australia's hotshot swimmer James Magnussen after this race was disgraceful. He said he had 'no response' & left his teammates to do the talking. Petulance at its worst. As for any acknowledgment of being beaten by a better team... forget that.
    Last edited by Freypower; 07-31-2012 at 11:16 PM.

I'm so glad most of you enjoyed the opening ceremony. I managed to watch it at work and I thought it was wonderful! I loved the whole industrial revolution idea (LOVE Kenneth Branagh!) and I was in awe most of the time. I have read some comments from some American friends on FB saying that they didn't really get it, so I don't know how it seemed from a foreign perspective, but I thought it was moving, humourous and quintessentially British. The suffragettes, the First World War tribute, the children's literature and the NHS... I thought it was great.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--