Page 62 of 105 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Thread: Timothy in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Timothy in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

I don't know how many of Tim's fans agree with the 'best singer in the band' part. Everyone has different opinions & that includes reviewers.
    I don't think that Timothy has the best voice in the band. I do see it regularly written from reviewers and fans on social media. I think the main reason for that stated opinion is simply because people like him and are intrigued by him, and at Eagles shows they get such a very small glimpse of him as a singer - they want more. And, they like his two songs. Maybe he is the "favorite" voice for some, as opposed to technically the best. He doesn't carry the same baggage that Don and Glenn do as far as people disliking him or having a negative reputation (I don't know how else to say this, you know what I mean), and I think many people are always looking for a way to put down Don and Glenn, so they just say TBS sings better. These are the same people who think Joe and his solo songs are overexposed in Eagles' shows. If Timothy had to carry the same lead vocal load as Don, I don't know that people would say he has the best voice. I think he has an interesting voice that people like, but it's silly to put anyone up against Henley or Glenn on the original recordings that made the Eagles famous (and now). My two cents.

Edit: Come to think of it, I think that everything I just said above about Timothy applies similarly to Randy Meisner, for the exact same reasons.
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 09-20-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cynd1231 View Post
    His derogatory remarks about Timothy, especially that he was "heading down the path of Don Felder" really raised my hackles. The suggestion that Timothy would engage in a 'power struggle' was beyond my comprehension
    For what it's worth, when the reviewer says “Schmit is heading down the path of Don Felder,” I don’t think he means that Timothy would engage in a power struggle. He probably means that Timothy is underappreciated in the band just like Don Felder was. I’m not saying he’s right or wrong. Reviews are just opinions, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't know how many of Tim's fans agree with the 'best singer in the band' part. Everyone has different opinions & that includes reviewers.
    Don Henley is a great singer. However, I think Timothy is the best singer in the band, and I’m not ashamed to say so.
    Last edited by SilverMoon; 06-26-2015 at 10:54 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Quote Originally Posted by secret squirrel View Post
    The live shows are ridiculously Joe-heavy. No offence to Joe fans but they're not even Eagles songs or even great songs.
    It's one thing to say that they are not even Eagles songs, but to say that they aren't great is simply ridiculous... Of course Joe's fans would take insult to it, and rightly so.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 09-21-2014 at 04:20 AM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

SilverMoon, don't get me wrong please, I mean absolutely no disrespect to Don Felder. He was a valid, viable, vital contributor during his tenure and in spite of the fall-out I think he largely responsible for continued fallout because he can't seem to let it go. I can certainly understand him taking legal action in the heat of the moment and that, by itself, sealed his fate as far as any future interaction with the band (which IS really sad -- I would have loved to see him be a part of this History tour). But O'Rourke stated a bit further down in his article "Instead, Schmidt is heading down the path of Don Felder, the Eagles guitarist who was plucked and deposed in 2001 after losing a power struggle with Henley and Frey." The implication was that Timothy was also engaged in a similar spat with Don and Glenn. Again, it goes back to good versus bad journalism because he didn't take the time to consider how the statement could be interpreted. A good journalist will paraphrase the expression "Possession is 9/10ths of the law" to "Phrasing, word choice and fact are 9/10th of an accurate story." The remaining tenth is impartiality and IMO O'Rourke fell short. When I was working for the newspaper back in Ohio, as a reminder we all had little signs on our desks that said "NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING...". I'm sure you know the rest of the phrase.

Reading the entire write-up you realize The Journal had sent the wrong guy because he didn't have a lot of positive things to say about ANY of the shows he saw. Might I add that in his review of The Doobies he states "Patrick Simmons was a last-day entrant, but he snatched the 'Outdated Hair' award away from Schmidt" and his biggest compliment came in the summary, "The verdict: The distinction is slim, but clear. If you like hearing the familiar songs you grew up with, the Eagles were the best. If you like musicianship, the Doobie Brothers were."

Yes, it is a review and yes, it is a personal opinion. But again, O'Rourke failed miserably by omitting the phrase "in this reports' opinion" and the paper failed by not including the disclaimer. I realize that I'm splitting hairs but it's the journalist in me taking exception. This was NOT a review, it was a critique -- and O'Rourke pulled out all the stops with no caveats.

And lastly, to further support my claim that The Journal sent the wrong guy to cover the shows, O'Rourke was the SPORTS EDITOR. When he headed to The Pit for the Eagles concert, he probably thought he was on his was to a UNM basketball game.
    I just need a little downtime.........

I noticed O'Rourke got several things wrong, the bit about ICTW being Felder's specialty was very odd and I think it's lousy to compare Felder and Timothy because they obviously had quite different roles in the band. It's also very stupid to say " I shouldn't say anything bad" and then write an insulting review. For example making a mean joke about Timothy's hair is just cheap. Concerning Timothy's voice I'd say his is my favorite but probably not the best though I like to think that for some people his is the best. I also agree with Mary about people trying to put Don and Glenn down by overly complimenting Joe or Tim. This brings me to the matter of Joe again. As I've said before I could do with less Joe songs but I don't think whining about it is very useful because it's apparent how big a hit Joe is. As far as reviews go(from what I've read) I find it annoying that reviewers either praise Joe unnecessarily loudly to my taste or put him down which both IMO show lack of perspective. Don and Glenn are the best Eagles have to offer(even if they might be "opinionated pricks") and I'd like reviewers to understand that. Their songs made the band and I can understand people not liking Joe's rough rockers or Timothy's playing/ singing after Bernie's and Randy's softer more country approach in the early days. These are just matters of taste and one is not worse than other as everyone is entitled to have their own.
    Last edited by bluefeather; 09-21-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    Don Henley underused? I don’t think so!
    It's hard to believe, but back in the early days (eg 1973/4), he only sang one or two songs per show and it was only due to Geffen's intervention that he got a second lead vocal on the first album. I think that all changed when "Best of of My Love" became their first #1.

In just two concerts, I've heard Timothy be the best singer in the band and the worst. At least with four lead singers, there's a good chance that some of them will be on good form on any particular night.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    At least with four lead singers, there's a good chance that some of them will be on good form on any particular night.
    This is true. Especially when they're 67 and are in the middle of a very long tour and one has had surgery on his throat. Off nights are to be expected, even for for even the most technically strong, virtuoso singers in the most ideal circumstances. Our guys sing even when they're sick and they know it won't be their best.

Quote Originally Posted by cynd1231 View Post
    I was living in Albuquerque and AT The Pit on June 4, 2002 and I can tell you that the review was totally off the mark. In fact, when it hit the newsstand I wrote O'Rourke a not-too-pleasant letter suggesting that he was either drunk or sleeping during most of the show - or possibly he only THOUGHT he was at The Pit! Having been at that concert, I took particular exception to almost everything he wrote! His derogatory remarks about Timothy, especially that he was "heading down the path of Don Felder" really raised my hackles. The suggestion that Timothy would engage in a 'power struggle' was beyond my comprehension and I remember telling O'Rourke in no uncertain terms that if he was going to comment on behind-the-scenes issues among the band members, he'd better do his homework and be darned sure of his facts before committing a statement like that to print.
    Cynd, Love your avi!

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014...-backlash.html

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I don't think that Timothy has the best voice in the band. I do see it regularly written from reviewers and fans on social media. I think the main reason for that stated opinion is simply because people like him and are intrigued by him, and at Eagles shows they get such a very small glimpse of him as a singer - they want more. And, they like his two songs. Maybe he is the "favorite" voice for some, as opposed to technically the best. He doesn't carry the same baggage that Don and Glenn do as far as people disliking him or having a negative reputation (I don't know how else to say this, you know what I mean), and I think many people are always looking for a way to put down Don and Glenn, so they just say TBS sings better. These are the same people who think Joe and his solo songs are overexposed in Eagles' shows. If Timothy had to carry the same lead vocal load as Don, I don't know that people would say he has the best voice. I think he has an interesting voice that people like, but it's silly to put anyone up against Henley or Glenn on the original recordings that made the Eagles famous (and now). My two cents.
    Totally agree, MC.

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014...-backlash.html