Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: The Border Book Club

I finished "Sports Illustrated 50 Years of Great Writing: 1954 - 2004 50th Anniversary" by the Editors of SI. Apparently, their idea of great writing differs from mine. Some were good, others were either boring or pointless.

I also read what I usually call 'smut books', aka Romance, and disappointingly enough there was no 'smut'! It's all good, though, Sherryl Woods writes interesting books, and while she follows the rules of romance (two people, a big conflict they surmount, happy ever after), she's a lot less predictable than other romance writers.

Now I'm reading "Queen Victoria's Youngest Son: The Untold Story of Prince Leopold" I'm about a third of the way through and so far it's interesting.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Just finished "Nantucket sisters by nancy Thayer

""have a nice guilt trip "by lisa scottoline and francescia serratella.
    It was picked as a top ten roadtrip book by oprah and beach read for the summer from People Magazine this week

""Match maker "by elin hildenbrandt "

Now I am reading 'Never give up " by Nobel L Thompson Jr MD"
    he is a retired doc at our hospital and the radiology dept was giving out his books for anyone who wanted to "borrow " it for two weeks so I am humping to finish it.

I have a pre order coming out on tues so am looking forward to that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyGee View Post
    I was at the library looking for something to read. This title caught my eye - Apart at the Seams. On the inside cover, it said she fell in love at first sight with a lean, longhaired bass player. That did it. I checked it out, and it was really good.
    Definitely going to look for that one! Lol

I just finished reading Sold by Patricia McCormick. It's about a young Nepalese girl who's step father sells her into prostitution after their crop fails. It's horrific and amazing all at once. Thankfully, it isn't as graphic as it could have been, but there are parts that just made me cry. It's a powerful book.

Just finished Heaven is for Real- Todd Burpo
    It was good, I totally believe there is life after death

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    Just finished Heaven is for Real- Todd Burpo
    It was good, I totally believe there is life after death
    LOVED that book! I totally believe the whole story, but my hubby is skeptical that it's all true. I haven't seen the movie, but want to.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Yep great book

I'm a Christian and if that book makes people want to know more about Jesus, I'm all for it. I don't think the child is lying, or they're trying to scam anyone.

That said...

I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie. The movie had a lot of feel good tropes that are nowhere to be found in the Bible - most notably, the idea that while Heaven is for real, Hell is not - and I left hoping that people weren't taking it as Biblical truth. However, I don't know how reflective the movie's mentality is of the book's stance on the afterlife. Does the book make it clear that those who have rejected Christ are not going to be experiencing that beautiful place his son describes?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Right now I'm most looking forward to Joe Perry's (of Aerosmith fame) new autobio to be out in October. We've read the band autobio and Steven's personal autobio - I think it's time for Joe (the other toxic twin!) to get his story out.

I've always liked Joe Perry. To me he seemed to be a cool introverted rockstar that was a bit on the quiet side but let himself come out of his shell with his guitar onstage and be Mr. Cool, yet if you read interviews or watch videos of him and Steven, Steven does the talking and the small talk. Joe just keeps to himself yet still manages to say what's on his mind. I dig that. And I think he has the best stage persona, next to Mr. Page. In fact I think Jimmy is much like Joe, much quieter than Robert and a bit of an introvert yet still dominates the stage. I think Page, Perry, and Slash all have similar identifiable stage antics yet all very different but it's obvious that it's a chain thing starting with Page who was Perry's idol, and Perry who was Slash's idol. I think Slash is a bit more social than Page or Perry though, and a bit more of a talker.

I hope I'm not disappointed by his book. Between Steven's book and the Walk This Way book, I much prefer Walk This Way. I thought Steven came off kinda poorly in his autobio. I hope there is some geetar deets in Joe's book to go along with the excess stories and drama.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm a Christian and if that book makes people want to know more about Jesus, I'm all for it. I don't think the child is lying, or they're trying to scam anyone.

That said...

I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie. The movie had a lot of feel good tropes that are nowhere to be found in the Bible - most notably, the idea that while Heaven is for real, Hell is not - and I left hoping that people weren't taking it as Biblical truth. However, I don't know how reflective the movie's mentality is of the book's stance on the afterlife. Does the book make it clear that those who have rejected Christ are not going to be experiencing that beautiful place his son describes?
    It's been a couple years since I read it, but I don't remember there being much talk about hell. It was mostly about what the boy saw in heaven and who was there. You should read the book. A very easy read and not long.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    It's been a couple years since I read it, but I don't remember there being much talk about hell. It was mostly about what the boy saw in heaven and who was there. You should read the book. A very easy read and not long.
    Agreed not much in the book about hell, and I don't think the boy lied either.

A quick story, when my son was about 5 at the dinner table one night he said I killed my first buck (deer) at 16 to help feed my family. I said what do you mean, he said my parents were killed and I had to help my brothers and sisters. Freaked me out, he had not seen anything about this as far as I know and especially at 5. Then this past weekend (he's 19 now) he reminded us of when he saw the White floating figure in his bedroom, when he was about the same age. I did rememeber him telling me about that, it's just kinda freaky.