Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Remembering 9/11

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Default Re: In a New York Minute WTC tribute for 9/11

Indeed a sad anniversary to remember.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends who were affected by this incomprehensible tragedy and with the entire New York City area. The healing continues......

It's always such a sad day here. I am working from home today, as I somehow feel wrong going to work right there with all the families around. I feel as if I'm intruding on their grief. But I'm watching them read the names on TV and it's such a heartbreak. Their pain is still so fresh, even after 12 years. You would be hard pressed to find someone who lives or works here who didn't know someone who died that day, so it's always a very difficult time.

I left work yesterday and looked up at the gleaming new tower and felt really happy that even though it has taken such a very long time, there is now something there. The memorial is beautiful and will forever be a reminder of all those lives lost. But it feels right that there will be something going forward as a functioning reminder that every one of those lives lost was because they were living their lives. Going to work, keeping the City safe, just doing their jobs. I really liked what Don said when he was in Long Island in April where he said the new tower was almost defiant. I think it's everything that New York is. Big, strong and resilient. A living reminder that we may never get over it, but we will move on. My thoughts and prayers are with all the families today.

Default Re: Remembering 9/11

Reviving this thread, as I do every year, to memorialize those devastating attacks.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I think this is always a difficult anniversary for people all over the world but particularly for those of us in the USA. My late uncle was the 1st first responder to arrive on scene in Shanksville, PA where he found nothing but a giant crater in a field. Flight 54 went down just a few short miles from the elementary school where his 9-year-old daughter was in class and it took Mom many traumatic hours to reach my aunt and confirm that everyone in the family was okay.

Americans are a resilient people and we prove that day in and day out. But I doubt any of us will ever forget where we were or what we were doing at the exact moment we heard the news. It is etched into every fiber of our being.

The innocent victims, the survivors of those lost, and the thousands of first responders, medical personal and common citizens who put their own safety on the line that day and every day since are all heros in my mind and heart.

My thoughts and prayers are with each and everyone one of them. God bless them and God Bless America.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

I was in Chicago at RUSH University Medical Center for a pre-op appointment before I had facial reconstruction surgery. We were in the waiting room when it came on the TV. I had surgery on the 24th. Very scary to be in Chicago.

RIP to all of those that died.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

I was in work and in the middle of a conversation w jahh....we were cut off very scarey

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Every year I remember this awful attack and tragedy, and one which I'm sure has touched the minds and hearts of not just Americans but people over the world.

But this year I feel an even greater affinity with the people of New York, due of course to the fact that I visited the Memorial earlier this year. Also the Hotel where we were staying was right beside the Memorial site where the construction is going on, so we were in the midst of it. On the Friday evening while we were there the remains of four more people who were killed in the tragedy were found and taken away to be identified. It really brought home to me that people are still living with the consequences of 9/11, and that for some there will never be closure.
    We spent our first morning on the site where the two pools have been made where the Towers once stood. The names of every single person who died are engraved around the edges of the pools, and there is a bronze mural dedicated to the 343 firefighters who died on the wall outside their firehouse.

We also heard so many accounts of the day from New Yorkers who were in the City and near the scene on that fateful day. Its evident that the feelings and the memories are still very much with everyone today, and in so many cases every day.

So when my kids or colleagues complain about enhanced security on planes, or having to take off their shoes in an airport line, or not being able to bring on a bottle of perfume it really bugs the hell out of me. We never want another 9/11 to happen ever ever again. And we all have a part to play to make sure it never does.

And to all those who gave their lives in helping in the rescue attempt, I salute you.

One of the large pools which occupies the space left by the South Tower.

The mural along the side of the fire house

Husband and son looking at a tribute to the fallen
    Last edited by Glennsallnighter; 09-11-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Thanks for the lovely photos GA. I'm glad you had the chance to visit the site.
    Still a hard day for NYC...Every year I honor them in the moments of silence for the times the towers were hit & the times the towers fell. We will never forget!

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

thank you ga for sharing such lovely pictures and post

Thank you for moving this. I didn't realize there was already a thread. Such a sad day. Found out today that one of my students was in NYC when it happened. He was 3. He says he remembers taking shelter. Wow, that is something one never forgets.