Page 13 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in Eagles History

Default Re: Today in Eagles History

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Do we know anything else about the show? Set list?
    Some extra info about this show:

It was a Linda Ronstadt show, and the four guys were backing her. All of the soon-to-be Eagles were in her backup band at one time or another, but not all four at the same time.... until this show in Disneyland.

Don and Glenn had been playing together in her backing band for several months - heck, Glenn had recruited Don for it. Randy had backed her for a time, but was working with Rick Nelson's backing band. Bernie Leadon had backed her too at one time, but had joined the Flying Burrito Brothers.

Glenn and Don had been talking about forming their own band, but didn't know who else they wanted in it yet. Ronstadt's manager John Boylan essentially told them, "You guys need a bass player and another guitar player/multi-instrumentalist who can take on the more challenging lead parts - no offense Glenn - and I know two guys who used to back Linda who'd be perfect. Not only can they play, but they can sing and write songs too - and they aren't too hard to look at!"

Meanwhile, Randy's gig with Nelson had ended. Despairing of his ability to support his family on a struggling musician's salary, Randy had returned to Nebraska and gotten a job working at a John Deere dealership (no joke). Bernie was dissatisfied with what he considered a diminishing role in the Flying Burrito Brothers. They both figured it was worth a shot to back Ronstadt once again and see if they clicked with Don and Glenn.

And "click" they did. The rock'n'roll world would never be the same!

While I don't know the setlist, Ronstadt has said that she did allow them to play a couple of their own songs. One of these is on her "Capitol Years" collection. It's a song by Glenn called "Get Up Kate." If you want to hear a shoddy-quality version the Eagles played on their first tour, you can listen to it here. On the "Capitol Years" CD, you can also hear Glenn backing Ronstadt on the song "Rescue Me."

Edited to add:
    I believe the four guys backed Rondstadt on the song "Silver Threads and Golden Needles" which was re-created for a 1974 special:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQjZT1588a8[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

WOW--thanks Soda. That was really cool to read and see. Tomorrow is Ms. Ronstadt's birthday also!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I love the stories about "how it all started". As Glenn and Don have often said, we owe a debt of gratitude to Linda Ronstadt and John Boylan. Instead of being upset and angry because the guys wanted to start their own band, they actually assisted the guys in forming the Eagles. Little did any of them know at the time what was to come.

And OBTW - Get Up Kate brings a smile to my face everytime I hear it - such a raw, crude glimpse of what would come to be!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

In honor of the release of The Country Bears, a little video from it! The song with Bonnie Raitt (coming out of bears) starts at 3:50. Cameo of real Don Henley at 4:50 and 5:20, where he says they're better than the Eagles. Ummm... generous praise. lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQcwB4B45h4[/ame]

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - up until today, I used to consider this the single saddest day in Eagles history because it was this day in 1980 that the band played their last show together for a VERY LONG TIME. Even though it was two years before the breakup was officially announced, the "Long Night at Wrong Beach" concert was what many believed would be the last Eagles concert ever! Thankfully, of course, that turned out not to be the case, but we fans sure did have to sweat it for a long, long time.

But now, with the launching of the Eagles Radio Network today, there is some happy news to report. Hopefully, it will be a big success for many years to come.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I was just reading about this in Felder's book again!

I had forgotten that actually, he was the reason for the break up back then, and then, evidently, managed to get himself fired years later for asking too many questions about money!

At least the whole band didn't break up again!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I actually have this whole show here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...aturedshow.htm

The noise drop outs between songs are where the sound technicians attempted to turn off the mics when Felder and Frey were threatening each other. So we've been denied the privilege of hearing:

"Three more songs 'til I kick your ass!"

"Great! I can't wait!"

Interesting that both Glenn and Felder claim that the OTHER guy was making the "kick your ass" threat - though they agree on the wording!

Oh, and here's a photo from earlier in the day. I believe it's before Felder dissed Cranston and/or his wife, although he and Glenn already look pissed, don't they? Maybe it was indeed afterwards! Or they were both in surly moods beforehand.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ha! Glenn and Felder do look pissed! And Tim is thinking "man, I wish I could go home!"
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

LOL! I think we should put this in the Caption Thread!