Page 107 of 166 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

If you look back to the HFO era, sales of their catalogue got a considerable boost from the tour/tv special. More recently the documentary helped with sales of records and the tour. It all helps.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Here's an interview with Vince Gill.
    http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/life/...19dcfd0a6.html
    This part was especially interesting since there has been so much discussion about whether or not the Eagles will continue after the Classic concerts.

"But he said he wants to take some time off of the road probably this fall, and instead get back into the studio." I guess if the Eagles do continue then Vince won't be a part.......

And, as far as the Eagles music dying......I've loved them since the first album came out in 1972. I was devastated when they broke up in 1980, but I didn't quit listening to their music. I continued listening to their music for 14 years and dreamed of them getting back together. And they did! And I still love them! I will never forget them and I don't think most true fans ever will either.

ETA: I really wonder why Bernie isn't along for this.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    "But I think after a little time went by, those guys maybe understood the impact of those songs on people over the last 40 to 45 years, and that maybe it’s important that those songs continue to live.”

So, again, the songs are going to die a few years from now, when Don & co really won't be performing them anymore?
    If Vince Gill were here, I'd present him with the following logical exercise:

There are lots of Eagles fans who have never been to, and never plan to go to, an Eagles concert.

If songs only "continue to live" if they're performed in concert, then presumably, the fan has to HEAR them in concert for that to take effect... therefore, logically, the band should have no fans except those who have seen them live. By that logic, everyone else would just forget their songs as soon as they no longer hear them on the radio.

So why would a guy like Chris in Port Arthur, TX, who barely makes ends meet, be an Eagles fan? For him, the Eagles might as well not be touring, since he'll never see them... he's never even bothered to find out if/when they're on tour. Yet he's practically worn out that Greatest Hits CD; he's been playing it for years, and it's not going anywhere. The music "continues to live" for him - it always has, and it always will, and the number of times the guys hit the stage this year, any year, never affects the way the music touches him one bit. If they stopped today, that CD would still get played.

Again, how is that logically possible, if the music only 'continues to live' if it's played in concert? Shouldn't this man who's never been to an Eagles concert have thrown that CD away?

For those Eagles fans who aren't going to shell out the mega bucks for these shows, or who aren't going on principle... Is the music not going to "continue to live" for us?

Finally, to those who argue that the Eagles' songs aren't good enough to survive their road act, I say: you have severely underestimated the quality, the significance, and the sheer emotional power of this band's body of work.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Regarding the Gill interview, some interesting quotes:

"Gill, 60, is now making an appearance as a honorary member of The Eagles for several shows this summer."

“It’s just about doing a few of these shows and seeing how they feel,” Gill said. “It’s got to be pretty hard for them, and strange for them, but it’s got to be a logical move with myself and Deacon to come.”

It looks like they're trying to make Gill and Deacon something between "special guests" and "official Eagles" for the abbreviated summer tour, probably as the first steps for a bigger tour in 2018 since Gill has plans for the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

There are lots of Eagles fans who have never been to, and never plan to go to, an Eagles concert.

If songs only "continue to live" if they're performed in concert, then presumably, the fan has to HEAR them in concert for that to take effect... therefore, logically, the band should have no fans except those who have seen them live. By that logic, everyone else would just forget their songs as soon as they no longer hear them on the radio.

So why would a guy like Chris in Port Arthur, TX, who barely makes ends meet, be an Eagles fan? For him, the Eagles might as well not be touring, since he'll never see them... he's never even bothered to find out if/when they're on tour. Yet he's practically worn out that Greatest Hits CD; he's been playing it for years, and it's not going anywhere. The music "continues to live" for him - it always has, and it always will, and the number of times the guys hit the stage this year, any year, never affects the way the music touches him one bit. If they stopped today, that CD would still get played.

Again, how is that logically possible, if the music only 'continues to live' if it's played in concert? Shouldn't this man who's never been to an Eagles concert have thrown that CD away?

For those Eagles fans who aren't going to shell out the mega bucks for these shows, or who aren't going on principle... Is the music not going to "continue to live" for us?

Finally, to those who argue that the Eagles' songs aren't good enough to survive their road act, I say: you have severely underestimated the quality, the significance, and the sheer emotional power of this band's body of work.
    Well, Amen to that! By their logic, no one today should have heard of George Gershwin, Hank Williams, etc. The Eagles wrote iconic American songs , forever woven into our culture, yet so universal as to be appreciated around the world by people with vastly different experiences (for decades now).
    I am much like "Chris". And yet I know these songs will long outlive us all. Song Power!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

Just started thinking that perhaps he meant that people still want to experience the songs live, but the words didn't come out right.

More likely he didn't think through the implications of his statement; it's one of those claims that sounds good in the moment but falls apart when one actually takes it to its logical conclusion.

I do find it hard to imagine he could really believe that, but he's not the only one making that highly flawed claim. I wonder if the above applies to many of the other people who are using that argument as well: they simply haven't thought it all the way through.

Border Rebel

Perhaps what Vince was trying to express didn't come out quite right.

I don't agree that touring is the only way to keep the music alive, but it's undoubtedly one of the ways that it happens. As UTW points out above, past tours and DVDs have boosted sales. It's hard to argue with statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    Perhaps what Vince was trying to express didn't come out quite right.

I don't agree that touring is the only way to keep the music alive, but it's undoubtedly one of the ways that it happens. As UTW points out above, past tours and DVDs have boosted sales. It's hard to argue with statistics.
    I was thinking along these same lines. Vince didn't say live performances were the only way to keep these songs alive but perhaps they are the best way. After the band stops performing live shows, once and for all, the music won't die but it could be on life support without some kind of promotion every once in awhile. One reason the Beatles stay relevant, to a degree, is because their albums are periodically re-packaged and re-issued in special box sets. They also license out their songs to video game companies so a whole new generation gets exposed to them. Of course what probably helps more than anything is that Paul and Ringo continue to tour and record new music.

That TITTL is being used in the new "Cars 3" trailer is a good sign.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

Thank you Soda, this one's for you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iC5-HN51dZo

And Glenn ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l1I4JKVihr0

Eagles on Tour A 3 song medley/arrangement

https://www.jwpepper.com/The-Eagles-...m#.WUDNuetHaK0
    Last edited by Dawn; 06-14-2017 at 02:03 AM.