Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can You Separate the Artist's Work from Their Actions?

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Can You Separate the Artist's Work from Their Actions?

As others have alluded to, my views on this partly depend on how bad their actions are. However, I think there is another important aspect, and that is the quality of the art. I will use musical examples as that (I do enjoy watching some movies but I'm not going to claim I'm any kind of film buff) For instance, Rolf Harris (an Australian entertainer who used to be very popular in the UK) once achieved a hit with a didgeridoo and wobble-board based cover of Stairway To Heaven. I don't think this was because people actually thought his cover was a great piece of music, but because it entertained them to hear it done in that way. When it was discovered that he'd committed numerous counts of sexual assault, offences for which he was found guilty and jailed, his Stairway cover lost any real value - it was no longer an amusing cover by some funny Aussie bloke, but by a convicted criminal, so it stopped being enjoyable.

By contrast (to use a completely ludicrous illustration - in no way do I believe this true!), even if it was discovered that Jimmy Page and Robert Plant had ritually sacrified 35 roadies in tribute to a Hobbit deity during the recording of Led Zeppelin IV, then in my eyes the original Stairway to Heaven would not be devalued, because its worth is in the music itself, not the performer. I'd be a bit weirded out, but I wouldn't listen to the music any differently (Apologies to Jimmy and Robert for using their good names in this way! I wanted to really exaggerate to make my point).

Home Is Where You're Happy

@ScarletSun, you scared me when you posted that. I did a quick copy and paste search of that phrase and Charles Manson came up as the top result for a video thumbnail. It's almost midnight here, and I get really paranoid about bad things happening at night if I look up crime or violent stuff. My paranoia was really bad after watching that 5-part OJ ESPN documentary. It's alright though. No need to feel bad or sorry.

Anyways, I listened to that song, and it's not bad. His voice isn't terrible and I'm surprised that he can sing. It's still creepy though, so no, I can't separate a conspirator to commit murder with his musical abilities. Thanks for sharing that, since it's a fun fact that I'm now aware of. Just like how I'm "proud" of how Susan Atkins, a member of the Manson family, went to my high school. She attended Leigh High, but she did not graduate.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on this subject. I understand still enjoying an artist's work if they've only done minor infractions. If they've done rape, murder, or anything to that extreme, then yeah, that's much more tougher to separate.

Yes, for the most part. I evaluate their work on its own merits. I don't delve into the lives of the directors, actors, and musicians I like in order to find out whether or not they are worthy. There's a film adaptation of Macbeth directed by Polanski and funded in part by Playboy, but it's a well-done version of the play and I have no problem watching it. I still enjoy The Cosby Show despite the fact that its star is a rapist. There are good storylines and other actors besides him on that show; I'm not going to throw the DVDs in the trash because of its star.

That said, if something REALLY awful comes to light, it's hard to put that out of your mind. I watched The Cosby Show as a kid. If it premiered now, would I still be able to enjoy it as much, now that I know what the man did? Or would I be too distracted by what I know about the star's personal life to appreciate it?

If it came to light that Stevie Nicks was a practicing witch who takes part in ritual killings where she sacrifices babies to the devil and then drinks their blood.... I don't think I'd be able to listen to her music again without thinking of that, and thus it would be spoilt for me. Thankfully, I doubt I will ever have this problem, lol.

However, for the most part, I separate the art from the personal life of the artist.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Have any sentiments changed regarding Hollywood? I know that these horrible news stories that have come up in the industry are somewhat an open secret, but now, it's front and center and hard to ignore.

Personally, I will still watch Tarantino films, even though Weinstein did have a hand in popularizing them with his power. It's honestly too bad that Tarantino didn't act as said in his article from earlier this month.

Kevin Spacey is despicable now for his 'out' statement to act as some sort of distraction in light of the allegations. I liked his work a few years ago, when I got into The Usual Suspects directed by Bryan Singer who has gotten into hot water with allegations as well. I like L.A. Confidential, but I haven't seen American Beauty. Haven't seen House of Cards either.

Boy, I sure hope that they weed more of these sickos out. It's sickening that this behavior by the people in charge has been around since the inception of the industry from the silent era and onwards.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

TV, movies, and actors are the things in fandom and entertainment I'm the most involved in and love, and this has shaken up the industry so much. I loved Kevin Spacey and I'm just shocked by his actions. It's been rumored for years that he was gay but I had no idea about this. I never really liked Weinstein as something just seemed weird about him whenever I saw him get interviewed, but with Kevin my whole family likes his movies and my Dad is a huge "House of Cards" fan. Have no idea what's in store for that show. I do hope whoever else has done these things do get punished for them now, even if it's just ruining their careers. I'm also glad to see other actors, writers, and directors I'm a fan of on the right side in this and supporting each other through this. Will be hard for a lot of us fans as we realize how these people truly are and if they deserve our love and support.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

The one I struggle with is Woody Allen. I really like his films, especially the ones from the past 15 years. I don't need any proof of criminal activity, the man married his adopted daughter - that's enough for me to believe that he is deviant, perverted, etc...I don't care if it's legal. He is a man of means and position and could make a life with almost any woman he wants. It's just gross. And, I believe the other daughter that he molested her.

I'm not sure what I think of the actresses who star in his films. They want to be a part of the art, so I get that - the roles are wonderful. But it is condoning him, just like when I buy one of his films OnDemand. Bleccchh.

What if I can watch his upcoming movie without paying for it?! Is that morally better or just the same as if I buy it?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I totally missed this Kevin Spacey thing.

Stuck on the Border

OMG - I just heard this on the news tonight ! I am shocked to hear this about him ! I just heard Netflex will not be renewing House of Cards. Needless to say I am shocked by the allegations. I always loved Kevin Spacey films and I used to wish I could have afforded Netflex to see House of Cards. This whole thing is so sad. Based on his statement issued today he pretty much admitted his actions involving the kid. I am shocked and sad.

Mary - I used to like Woody Allen films years ago. They always has a quirky side to them. I always thought he had a kind of creepy side to him. I don't know if I would see a film of his again. I don't think they are as good as they used to be.

Damn..... I bet there are tons more Hollywood people who will be "outed" for their actions in the next few weeks. I hope those who are guilty are punished to the fullest extend. Thank God people like George C. and others have spoken out to support the victims. I do try to separate the "art" from the individual. Soda's example of Roman Polanski is a good example. However, I do have to say I do not like Tom Cruise and will never see a film of his again. He rubs me the wrong way and I don't care for his films.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 10-30-2017 at 09:28 PM.

It depends on the severity of said actions, honestly.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."