Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I Stayed

Banned

Default Re: Why I Stayed

Thanks, Mary. That's a great reason. I like Timothy, too. What's your favorite song on the new album? I really like Goodbye, My Love.

Ok, thanks.

FYI I don't know if you are aware but there is a thread for Vince Gill and Eagles guests that Soda started awhile back.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=7101

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Banned

That's awesome, Dawn, but that's not really what I'm trying to talk about here. I shared my story of why I remained a fan of this band, which ultimately doesn't have much to do with Deacon (who is fantastic) or Vince (who is fine). I'd like others to share their reasons for continuing to support the band. I feel like some believe those of us sticking around are choosing against Glenn even though, at least in my case, that couldn't be further from the truth.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I stayed because I love them. I don't support the current lineup, but I have no issues with those who do. I think Glenn's death hit Don very hard, and it has made him very aware of his own mortality. Don, Joe, and Tim are all 70 now, and I understand that they want to continue on while they "still have it in them". They are one of my all time favorite groups, and I will always have a special place in my heart for them.

That's my perspective, too, except I'm not very understanding about them carrying on. I stayed a fan of the Eagles because I adore them. I just don't consider this current group to legitimately be the Eagles.

However, I don't begrudge others getting excited about going to the shows.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I stayed because I like Timothy, particularly when he is playing with the Eagles. I'm happy for him to be playing with Don and Joe and am intrigued by Deacon. I don't think they're too old, or too rich, and I don't think the Eagles name is too precious for them to continue to work under. I enjoy hearing about their new adventures. And who knows, maybe they will write some new stuff.
    I know you didnt intend to, but you've basically spoken for me. Thank you.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Out on the Border

I stayed because their music has brought me so much joy. I was 5 when HFO came out, so I grew up with their music. I wouldn't have it any other way. I remember my mom driving me to softball games with Take It Easy playing; that became my softball theme song. Their music has always been there for me, and it's embedded in my life. I am very thankful to the guys for their music.

Banned

Me too, eagles557. Ultimately, that's what it's all about -- the music. It sounds different from Vince and Deacon, but we know Glenn wrote those songs and that he's the reason they can be received so well even with other people singing them. It truly is a celebration of Glenn, I'll always believe that.

Banned

But I'm also learning that it is very much in the eye of the beholder. I view this as a celebration of Glenn and a desire by the remaining band members to do what they know and love, so I can enjoy it in that context. Others have diametrically opposed views and that context keeps them from enjoying it or wanting to enjoy it. On some level I understand that, but ultimately I can't relate. I've never viewed this as a resumption of the Eagles, just something that can bring a sense of closure to my lifelong fandom -- closure that I'll never be ready for.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    I stayed because I love them. I don't support the current lineup, but I have no issues with those who do. I think Glenn's death hit Don very hard, and it has made him very aware of his own mortality. Don, Joe, and Tim are all 70 now, and I understand that they want to continue on while they "still have it in them". They are one of my all time favorite groups, and I will always have a special place in my heart for them.
    WW - I agree.