Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Banned

Default Re: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

I suppose, who's playing it, counts for more than what instrument is used. That's why Felder played Hotel California on a double-neck. Maybe why Felder didn't see his sacking coming too.

Even today, the iconic image of Don Felder, for me, is him playing Hotel California on the white double neck. Not so sure about Joe, probably playing slide on Rocky Mountain Way. Tim is I Can't Tell You Why of course! Henley singing and drumming on Hotel California, Glenn strumming an acoustic and singing Take It Easy or Peaceful Easy Feeling, Randy hitting the high notes at the end of Take It To the Limit, Bernie is a bit more difficult to pinpoint, I'll opt for pickin' the banjo on Earlybird. Sadly, they're all ancient images. I really can't think of a recent iconic image of the band.

In trying to put the focus back on to Hotel California, I've strayed even further off topic.

I still hope they do something to acknowledge (cash-in on) the fortieth anniversary of the Eagles most enduring classic album.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I've recently read an interview with Randy, in which he says the bass part on Hotel California was Felder's. Randy played it on the album but it was very difficult bass part to play and sing at the same time, which would explain why the live versions from both Randy and Tim don't match the album version.
    As Chaim pointed out, the part Travelnman referred to is the staccato bassline or whatever it is called and there are no vocals at that point. And Randy said it took a long time to learn to sing and play at the same time, not that he never learned it.

As far as iconic images go, I would say playing his B-bender on PEF and Tequila Sunrise is Bernie's. I'm glad their images are "ancient" from a time it was just 4-5 guys on stage doing it all themselves without a lot of extra personnel in the background.

Border Troubadour

My iconic Bernie image is just him plucking away on the banjo, be it Earlybird, Midnight Flyer, Twenty-One or Rocky Mountain Breakdown (which is I believe what they segued into after Earlybird). That said mind, I am also a fan of his B-bender work and his PEF solo particularly. I always thought he brought more of a concept to the band rather than a specific selling point. It is undoubtedly he who made them so countrified in the first two albums.

Anyway, back to Hotel California...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    As Chaim pointed out, the part Travelnman referred to is the staccato bassline or whatever it is called and there are no vocals at that point. And Randy said it took a long time to learn to sing and play at the same time, not that he never learned it.
    Randy learnt it off Don Felder. I like that bass part too. I can't even recall cover band bassists playing it. Don skips the double hit on the snare, from the recorded version, too. . Maybe they just want all the focus on the guitars rather than the sound getting too cluttered. It still is amazing live.

During the climax of Take It To the Limit, the sound guys used to turn Randy's mic up as loud as it would go to get that extra shred of intensity.

Happy 41st Birthday to Hotel California. My favorite album. Not one song on there I don't like.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Happy Anniversary to the Eagles’ highest-rated best-selling studio album!!

It’s still moving units today, thanks to the 40th Anniversary re-release.
    The Billboard 200 chart ranks the week’s most popular albums based on their overall consumption. That overall unit figure combines pure album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA).

Now, let’s take a closer look at some of the action on the latest Billboard 200 chart:

— Eagles, Hotel California – No. 44 — After the classic No. 1 album was remastered and reissued to celebrate its 40th anniversary, it returns to the list at No. 44 (15,000 units; up 1,424 percent). The bulk of the album’s units were driven by traditional album sales: 12,000 (up 1,292 percent). The revamped edition includes a selection of live recordings from a 1976 concert at The Forum in Los Angeles. For sales tracking and charting purposes, all versions of Hotel California — new and old — are linked together. The original album spent eight weeks at No. 1 on the chart in 1977, and a total of seven months in the top 40. It launched the Billboard Hot 100 hit singles “New Kid in Town” (No. 1), the title track (No. 1) and “Life in the Fast Lane” (No. 11).
    “Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Eagles' 'Hotel California' Returns After 40th Anniversary Reissue” Billboard, Dec. 8, 2017

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Happy belated birthday to Hotel California!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY 42ND ANNIVERSARY TO HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

As we celebrate the anniversary this week, it's hard to come up with something different that hasn't already been said about this album thousands of times. So, suffice it to say that I believe that this is the band's crowning achievement - strong from start to finish and, IMHO, one of the top ten best rock and roll albums of all time.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!

I wish we could have a board style for it, but I still haven't figured out how to make that work for this board.

Instead, I'm going to give it an anniversary listen in celebration.

I was just thinking the other day how sophisticated the harmonies on "New Kid in Town" are. This album goes beyond "rock" is so many ways.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy Birthday, Hotel California!

Definitely merits a new listen (or two)...