Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saturday night/ Eagles live

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Saturday night/ Eagles live

Quote Originally Posted by tac0mao6 View Post
    some sources credit Randy with “lead vocal in the bridge” on saturday night.
    perhaps that could be considered shared lead vocal?

same with on the border (never mind your name)
    No. Singing one line does not amount to a 'shared lead vocal' any more than it does in On The Border. A shared lead vocal is a song like King Of Hollywood or What Do I Do With My Heart.

I'm afraid the song is one of my least favourites & when I finally got to see it in 2015 I remained underwhelmed by it. It's a shame to say that now, I suppose, but it's the truth.

Stuck on the Border

I like Saturday Night, but the "Someone show me how to tell..." bit and the instrumental that follows are a disappointment. Off-topic, but I was replying to Freypower's comment above.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Steuart Smith played mandolin and Michael Thompson the accordion off-stage.
    That's a shame. Why didn't Bernie play mandolin during HOTE? (Or did he? I'm sorry, I didn't see them). There is some video of them doing Saturday Night live with just the 4 of them in 1973.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    That's a shame. Why didn't Bernie play mandolin during HOTE? (Or did he? I'm sorry, I didn't see them). There is some video of them doing Saturday Night live with just the 4 of them in 1973.
    Why indeed, if he didn't.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    He played banjo, I think. I don't remember him playing mandolin.

Border Troubadour

Bernie did play mandolin back in the day, however for HOTE it was Steuart (I believe he played bits and pieces on the LROOE tour on mandolin if anyone can confirm); one report on here said at the venue they saw it at, you could see them playing off-stage.

Not having Bernie present for Saturday Night aided the sequence of that opening portion for the History tour (though nothing would have stopped him playig off-stage, granted). Further, given how his mandolin and steel pedal work were omitted from the History tour (for example, he played acoustic guitar on Best of My Love), as well as by Henley in his little intro speech, I do not know if Bernie even plays mandolin or certain other instruments any more.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Bernie did play mandolin back in the day, however for HOTE it was Steuart (I believe he played bits and pieces on the LROOE tour on mandolin if anyone can confirm); one report on here said at the venue they saw it at, you could see them playing off-stage.

Not having Bernie present for Saturday Night aided the sequence of that opening portion for the History tour (though nothing would have stopped him playig off-stage, granted). Further, given how his mandolin and steel pedal work were omitted from the History tour (for example, he played acoustic guitar on Best of My Love), as well as by Henley in his little intro speech, I do not know if Bernie even plays mandolin or certain other instruments any more.
    I don't see why he couldn't play them for an Eagles show. He sure still played a B-bender like a master.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Don’t get me wrong I love the song but it’s not well known and it’s not popular on the forum.
    A comment such as this is a very recent phenomena that just didn't exist before the internet and message boards, certainly not in 1980. There was no real separation of hits and obscurities, until artists started re-releasing their back catalogs on CD in the 90s.

I remember seeing a Joe Walsh live set list for the first time in the early 80s and being very surprised to see James Gang tracks, Funk #49 and The Bomber listed. He's still playing them nearly 40 years later. They're obviously a lot more popular than I thought they were.

Back in 1989,Paul McCartney caused a stir by playing many The Beatles 60s hits live for the first time ever. The conert ended with the previously unheralded Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End medley. I believe that McCartney has closed all his concerts with it since.

You've made me realize YoungEaglesFan, that in 1981, when Eagles Live was released, the entire Eagles catalog was younger than the Long Road Out Of Eden tracks are now!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    A comment such as this is a very recent phenomena that just didn't exist before the internet and message boards, certainly not in 1980. There was no real separation of hits and obscurities, until artists started re-releasing their back catalogs on CD in the 90s.

I remember seeing a Joe Walsh live set list for the first time in the early 80s and being very surprised to see James Gang tracks, Funk #49 and The Bomber listed. He's still playing them nearly 40 years later. They're obviously a lot more popular than I thought they were.

Back in 1989,Paul McCartney caused a stir by playing many The Beatles 60s hits live for the first time ever. The conert ended with the previously unheralded Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End medley. I believe that McCartney has closed all his concerts with it since.

You've made me realize YoungEaglesFan, that in 1981, when Eagles Live was released, the entire Eagles catalog was younger than the Long Road Out Of Eden tracks are now!
    Without going off topic, I find it hard to believe that the closing medley of Abbey Road was 'unheralded' but I am certainly looking forward to hearing it tomorrow night. It will be cathartic.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Don’t get me wrong I love the song but it’s not well known and it’s not popular on the forum. I’m just surprised why they put it on the album. I prefer Randy on it over Tim but that’s just me
    What makes you say this?

The live version from the ‘73 BBC concert is excellent.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...